DAB radio options

Sparks#72

Reaction score
Hello,

After changing my job recently, I now spend many more hours driving and I get board with the same old radio stations and sometimes even my own choice of music.

With this in mind, I was thinking about installing a DAB device of some type and was hoping to get some suggestions and advice from the forum members.

My car is a 2012(my) Audi A3 Black edition with retro fitted RNS'e (by me) and also also a factory fitted ipod dock. (But I'm not sure if it has AMI or MMI or nothing at all.....? Maybe some can enlighten me how to check or explain the differences, sorry for being thick on this one).

My google searches seem to keep returning the Autodab unit and as my car has a MFSW this unit appeals as you cannot see any wires and it will link in with cars DIS etc.
Are there any known issue with this device...is it any good?

Has anybody got any other ideas or suggestion for suitable DAB devices etc.....?

Thank you in advance.

I have the autodab set up in my car also it’s the mfsw and rnse. I find it excellent with really good support should you need it from them. Really easy to fit although slightly confusing when you first set up, just getting used to the menus etc. All in all though a great piece of kit.

If you have the mmi you’ll have iPod/iPhone connection in your glovebox. Hope this helps.

Reactions: paddy
Did your kit work out of the box @Matt268uk ? My AutoDAB resets itself every time I restart the car, and all my presets are lost. RNS-E, AMI, BT, MFSW etc etc.

The first one I bought had a slight problem with. I couldn’t have my fm antenna connected to the autodab and rnse at the same time. Some sort of firmware issue. But autodab sent me another which worked perfectly and have had no problems with at all. Have you contacted their support to ask for help ? I found them extremely helpful.

I got mine professionally fitted as I just don't have the time to do this kind of stuff any more. The Installer fitted a Calearo amplified roof mount DAB/FM/AM car aerial so I've got 100% signal on both Dab+ and FM/AM. However, with Dab+, FM is redundant.

Reactions: Ollie2014
I got mine professionally fitted as I just don't have the time to do this kind of stuff any more. The Installer fitted a Calearo amplified roof mount DAB/FM/AM car aerial so I've got 100% signal on both Dab+ and FM/AM. However, with Dab+, FM is redundant.

Do u have Bose speakers by any chance? I'm considering an XTRONS HU aswel, but I'm afraid that it won't be providing enough power for the Bose speakers. :(

I did have but my installer ripped the whole lot out and I've got a custom amp / speaker install now. The Xtrons is way ahead of the OEM kit that was developed 15 yrs ago for these cars, surely?

Why would anybody want to retrofit 15yr old OEM kit in an 2nd hand car. Except they can. Oh Dear.

I did have but my installer ripped the whole lot out and I've got a custom amp / speaker install now. The Xtrons is way ahead of the OEM kit that was developed 15 yrs ago for these cars, surely?

Why would anybody want to retrofit 15yr old OEM kit in an 2nd hand car. Except they can. Oh Dear.
I don't know, from what I have read here, it wasn't very clear whether they do or not. I have a RNS-E fitted right now, but I would love BT/DAB/etc.

Sorry for my unhelpful reply at 22 minutes past midnight last night.

All I meant was that with A3 8Ps now between 7 and 16 yrs old, no one will really care about OEM retrofits for audio visual. The buyers of these cars are looking at budgets of between £3k and £8k. Hence, if your car is a keeper, buy an Xtrons. Wifi, Bluetooth all incorporated. OK. My installer says Xtrons is 'Chinese ****'. BUT having removed the Bose crap and installed Dynaudio, CDT, JL Audio, DLS and Audison, it does sound a little better according to him !!

Do u have Bose speakers by any chance? I'm considering an XTRONS HU aswel, but I'm afraid that it won't be providing enough power for the Bose speakers. :(

The new xtrons units work properly with Bose now. They have a blue amp cable attached to the rca speaker cables which you just have to connect to another blue 12v cable coming off the headunit and then it powers the bose properly

The new xtrons units work properly with Bose now. They have a blue amp cable attached to the rca speaker cables which you just have to connect to another blue 12v cable coming off the headunit and then it powers the bose properly
Is this a "newer" one? http://xtrons.co.uk/pb76aa3arp-7-hd...car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-audi-a3-s3.html

Sorry for my unhelpful reply at 22 minutes past midnight last night.

All I meant was that with A3 8Ps now between 7 and 16 yrs old, no one will really care about OEM retrofits for audio visual. The buyers of these cars are looking at budgets of between £3k and £8k. Hence, if your car is a keeper, buy an Xtrons. Wifi, Bluetooth all incorporated. OK. My installer says Xtrons is 'Chinese ****'. BUT having removed the Bose **** and installed Dynaudio, CDT, JL Audio, DLS and Audison, it does sound a little better according to him !!

Yup, I've added everything to my shoppingcart, but the headunit and some other stuff wasn't in their supply right now and has to be backordered. I'll think about it. I have retrofitted an RNS-E (latest edition) and have removed the radio antenna and switched it out for a GPS one (with a wing thingy). So I'm a little hessitant to redo everything haha.

Is this a "newer" one? http://xtrons.co.uk/pb76aa3arp-7-hd...car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-audi-a3-s3.html

Yup, I've added everything to my shoppingcart, but the headunit and some other stuff wasn't in their supply right now and has to be backordered. I'll think about it. I have retrofitted an RNS-E (latest edition) and have removed the radio antenna and switched it out for a GPS one (with a wing thingy). So I'm a little hessitant to redo everything haha.

It looks that way yes, if you click on the pics in your link there's a pic of all the cables and on the bottom row there's one with 2 red and 2 white rca cables which are for Bose but then it also has that blue cable attached to it which you need(and also 2 other yellow cables). Mine is same as that but slightly older so mine doesn't have that blue cable needed for Bose so I had to order an adaptor to make it work which has its own blue power cable

*edit.
Also if you look on the link under description, then IMPORTANT NOTE, number 3. Tells you what I've just said about the blue amp control cable I'm mentioning.

Last edited:
I've just fitted the latest Xtrons unit about 3 weeks ago. I like it, it has a few niggles but nothing that really bothers me!
Love the Waze app and the DAB. Main use for me is the Amazon music app that I use tethered to my phone. Bluetooth has played up a few times but nothing to bad.

I've just down loaded RealZouLou's latest DAB skin ... I do like the Station Logos add on but I've got a heck of a lot that I'll need to manually configure. Looks nice though. Something like 150 stations tuned inn and 6 in my favourites. LOL.

I've just down loaded RealZouLou's latest DAB skin ... I do like the Station Logos add on but I've got a heck of a lot that I'll need to manually configure. Looks nice though. Something like 150 stations tuned inn and 6 in my favourites. LOL.

I've got that dab app. How do you get the station logos on?

I've just fitted the latest Xtrons unit about 3 weeks ago. I like it, it has a few niggles but nothing that really bothers me!
Love the Waze app and the DAB. Main use for me is the Amazon music app that I use tethered to my phone. Bluetooth has played up a few times but nothing to bad.

You want to get on the XDA forum under "android auto" and there are a few threads about these headunits. You'll be able to get updates for your unit to sort the bugs that you mention, you just put them on a SD card and then put that card in your unit and then it updates when you turn the unit back on. There is also a better version of the dab app on there aswell which is worth downloading.

Reactions: Robin Chandler
You want to get on the XDA forum under "android auto" and there are a few threads about these headunits. You'll be able to get updates for your unit to sort the bugs that you mention, you just put them on a SD card and then put that card in your unit and then it updates when you turn the unit back on. There is also a better version of the dab app on there aswell which is worth downloading.
Thanks, I'll have a look.

You mean register an account? Or send them a mail? :p

The first one I bought had a slight problem with. I couldn’t have my fm antenna connected to the autodab and rnse at the same time. Some sort of firmware issue. But autodab sent me another which worked perfectly and have had no problems with at all. Have you contacted their support to ask for help ? I found them extremely helpful.

Hi pal, was you able to set it up to begin with or did you have issues... im struggling see my post below.

How do you get this to work? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I see autodab as a selection on the main radio station lists but then it switches to 87.8 which has tuned into classic fm.

It's actually doing my head in. I've tried unplugging it for a day and starting again but now everytime I tune to 87.8 it tunes to classic fm.

I also get no audible message saying autodab scanning. I just get 2 audible beeps.

Debating wether to sell it and get something else such as dension dab u.

Hey it’s been a while since I posted on here though I thought I’d share my solution for Audi’s lack of support for Dab on our 8p’s

Ages ago I retrofitted the Rns-e and didn’t give Dab a second thought however lately I’ve been in the car a lot more and wanted to come up with a semi factory(ish) answer to the Dab problem.

To cut a fairly long story short the only way around it I found was to simply add the TV option. I bought the DVB hybrid tuner and checked Etka for the different aerial boosters needed and set to work.

I had all the parts for a while and yesterday decided to make the wiring loom to get it all up and running and I’ve littary just finished and now have digital tv (and radio) in my 2004 for when it comes down to it not a lot of money.

All I need to do is do a quick video in motion mod to allow me to change the station while driving if needed but at 1am I can’t tell you how happy I am with the results.

On a side note I also picked up a Sirius satellite radio tuner that I’ve wired in temporarily just to cover all angles. I’m not hopeful that will work as the UK doesn’t have coverage you never know though.

I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

Interested in pics and part numbers, often thought about dab, but not keen on windscreen fitted antennas or messing about with the shark fin on the roof or hacking car apart to fit it.

Also I’m more than happy with Audi look
And don’t want third party head units etc or troublesome. plug and play units if they are prone to being unreliable.

You can mount the antenna in the a-pillar. Some have done this with good results.

For RNS-E mk2 owners, there's a very good option! This kit from JUNA.pl simulates AMI interface, and gives you very OEM like integration. Everything is controlled from the head unit. If you have AMI and want to keep it, they have also made a switch to keep both options. Reception is very strong (tested in Norway) with a standard window antenna. I have my antenna mounted in the little window behind the C-pillar.

Strongly recommended!

Attachments

• 20180826_165005.jpg
    20180826_165005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 467
  • now-playing-rnse.jpg
    now-playing-rnse.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 397
Sorry I’ve been out all day as far as the reception goes it does drop out from time to time however that could just be my area. I thought I’d put a list of all the parts I needed if anyone was interested. I also didn’t want any extra aerials stuck on anywhere although I did cut a hole in my roof for the stock shark fin a few years ago haha.

Aerial boosters

Main: 8P4035225A
Right upper:8P4035225E
Left upper: 8P4035225B
Digital tuner: 8J0919148C (I think A or B will work)
Kufatec aerial for tv
54 pin connector: 4e0972144
Bracket: 8P0919892
Screws: 8E0035413A

The wiring to connect everything together took a little bit of time however after stripping out the seat, trims carpet etc for the signal wires I just bought two 5 metre long cat 5e Ethernet cables laid them in place from where I wanted to start and finish and cut of the excess. Then stripped them and soldered on the pins from an old loom I had kicking about. Also cat 5e isn’t solid like cat 6 so ideal for this. I used Ethernet cable as the signal wires need to be sheilded and the natural twist was ideal.

I’m also going to cut a vent for the fan on the unit in the trim as it’s too close for my liking and it looks like the trim would cover it rather than allow air through. The tuner doesn’t have a facia which kinda sucks as the other trim for the “Audi Navigation” unit would have been perfect.

I still need to do the video in motion mod as I didn’t get around to it today but I can change the station from the steering wheel while driving so that’s cool.

I’m trying to see if I can update the channel list however there’s absolutely loads of them available. Some pics to when I reduce the size bledy Iphone

Last edited:
There we go there a bit out of order but it’s 0020 haha.

Also the complete install cost me around £250 ish to get done however I was lucky and not one part came from the UK. I got the tuner and aerial from ebay France and Germany but the aerial boosters I got from dalys.it for about £60 the lot plus delivery. That £250 also imcludes the satellite radio receiver that I’m still gonna play with.

Attachments

• E82CCFED-F1F6-4035-B9A6-D4997401BB72.jpeg
    E82CCFED-F1F6-4035-B9A6-D4997401BB72.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 954B0820-96B7-4583-92D2-FFE7D1AA9E27.jpeg
    954B0820-96B7-4583-92D2-FFE7D1AA9E27.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 2F55C05A-B89B-4445-A048-BBC993559694.jpeg
    2F55C05A-B89B-4445-A048-BBC993559694.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 388
  • F32DBBD5-BDF5-4B12-99B0-1B01FF3E6613.jpeg
    F32DBBD5-BDF5-4B12-99B0-1B01FF3E6613.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 345
  • FF6798F0-5CB5-4D93-8D72-0A55C273B8BF.jpeg
    FF6798F0-5CB5-4D93-8D72-0A55C273B8BF.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 369
  • F5A997DA-5E6F-4D13-A2BE-9C27D9B03C07.jpeg
    F5A997DA-5E6F-4D13-A2BE-9C27D9B03C07.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 1119667F-B27C-408E-85C6-966CB02BDE00.jpeg
    1119667F-B27C-408E-85C6-966CB02BDE00.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Nice work. But AFAIK there is no VIM hack for the RNS-E mk2..?

Ah balls I’m just finding this out for myself haha. Well at least the TVs cool and I can scroll through the stations via the dis.

Most hu’s disable/enable vim via the handbrake switch.

Surely there must be a way of fooling the unit into thinking it’s on? For my alpine I just earthed the handbrake wire from the hu.

I wish it were that easy man, unfortunately the speed signal is sent via CAN. I’d need a selective block to the radio as the parking aid and park assist are on drivetrain along with abs where the speed signal comes from. I even tried earthing the speed signal that’s not used (pin 3 blue connector) and nada, zip. If I earth out the handbrake switch it would set the warning off sad times i’ll Get there eventually though or just carry on with podcasts as I drive haha

Hi guys I also posted this on the “what have you done to you A3 this week. I saw the post fro maccalo above and loved the idea of the Juna system however I bought the Dension version and have to say apart from the buffering it’s 90% of what we’re after for our A3’s. The only drawback is you’ll loose the Ami input but unlike the Juna system the Dension goes through the Ami itself so if you want your phone, usb or whatever you can just unplug and put in the one you want. I am however probably build my own switch. Some pics (Sorry about the 90 degree error)

71C2BF2D E2F6 4DE8 AFEE 19E32A48B751 469642DA A45B 4312 9765 1FA1834186BB C07B32A1 FC42 4C6E 8785 02BF24C99374 1A942A51 0672 46A5 9B9B 9704E56A7B26

That Juna system looks good, especially with the switch to retain AMI. There are no prices on their website which is weird, even when added to the basket

They are the manufacturer, and retailers rebrand the product. In Norway, it is branded NorDAB. The RNS-E version is listed here. It is called JRDAB-02.

Suwtec in Germany.
Car-tronic in Poland

They are the manufacturer, and retailers rebrand the product. In Norway, it is branded NorDAB. The RNS-E version is listed here. It is called JRDAB-02.

Suwtec in Germany.
Car-tronic in Poland
Thanks, I have emailed Juna to ask about UK suppliers as I have not found any. Will see what they say

Thanks, I have emailed Juna to ask about UK suppliers as I have not found any. Will see what they say

Hey bud long time I know it’s an old thread but I’ve finally found a supplier of a Juna JRDAB-02 it’s on its way from Germany as we speak. Though looking at the kit and pics and stuff online I’m 99% sure that the Juna stuff might be rebranded as Fiscon over here. I’ll know soon enough as I ordered a Fiscon switch for my AMI.

After all this stuff over the years trying various kits and stuff I’m probably going to put together a bit of a review and pop it on here. I think so far I’ve tried:

Retrofitting factory tv
The dension unit which is good but no switch unless you make one.

The Juna kits on the way

I even picked up a auto dab just for giggles.

I’m running a custom firmware now so I’ve finally got VIM (even nav data on an sd card) which may open up some options but I’ve an idea I’m playing with but don’t wanna say anything just yet in case it doesn’t work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suwtec in Germany.
Car-tronic in Poland

And in the UK I’ve just been able to confirm that the Fiscon DAB stuff is rebranded Juna stuff. I wish I’d known that a while back lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk