DAB radio...no signal... no changeover

Chris90

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

Occasionally I like to listen to the DAB radio, but find that when going through certain areas, the signal is poor so the radio is crackly or goes off altogether, indicated by a speaker with line through it or whatever it shows as on the dash.

Mate has a works leon of similar year, and if the DAB looses signal, it switches over to the FM alternative. Say I was listening to capital DAB, and signal was poor/lost, it would switch the capital FM channel.

My audi doesnt do this? Is it the same for everyone or is there a update available that fixes this issue?

Chris

Mine doesn't switch frequency but the dab works about 50% of the time, so annoying

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Would make sense for it to switch. Almost makes it pointless listening to the DAB in all fairness.

Audi should pull their finger out on this!

Check your MMI settings, there is a setting to set to DAB only or DAB & FM.
When mine is set to DAB & FM if DAB signal drops out it switches to FM of the same station, IIR you have to be using stored stations in memory for this to work.

I only listen to Radio X and Planet Rock, so only available on dab.
Is there not some sort of booster that can be fitted?

Think ive found the solution....

Attachments

• IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7551.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,266
Reactions: xpoweruk
I only listen to Radio X and Planet Rock, so only available on dab.
Is there not some sort of booster that can be fitted?

Just thought I'd say loving the musical tastes Gray99y
I'm a absolute classic rock man at the mo.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Reactions: gray99y
Probably read the instructions for the car, just not the audio. Surprised it isnt like that as normal!

I used to have DAB all the time, no dropouts..... Until I fitted a DR650 dual channel dashcam, now DAB is rendered virtually useless, so much so, that I'm thinking of flogging the rear camera, it's a real PITA!

I've re-routed the coax twice, removed it the weekend and wrapped it in aluminium tape, and still it's rubbish, really disappointing

:rage:

I used to have DAB all the time, no dropouts..... Until I fitted a DR650 dual channel dashcam, now DAB is rendered virtually useless, so much so, that I'm thinking of flogging the rear camera, it's a real PITA!

I've re-routed the coax twice, removed it the weekend and wrapped it in aluminium tape, and still it's rubbish, really disappointing

:rage:

Have you tried the ferrite beads yet?

Last edited:
Well that may explain something, I too have a dashcam, front and rear. Maybe I'll disconnect them and see if the reception improves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DAB issue is well documented, in particular when using the Blackview 650 front and rear cameras.

The problem is with the interconnecting cable which is not properly screened, and causes interference/drop outs on DAB radio, mainly in areas of weaker DAB signal.

It's exasperated on Audi's in particular because the DAB antenna is embedded in the rear screen, where you stick the rear camera!

You can reduce the interference by installing ferrite beads at either end of the interconnecting cable.

See here: (You can also buy from the likes of Maplin.)

https://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.ph...essories/dab-noise-suppressor-detail?Itemid=0

Blackvue need to sort there products out and not sell ferrite's, that should already be attached to the product. There is a legal requirement in the UK for products to be EMC tested (compliant to CISPR 22 Class B), so if the product is killing radio reception then I don't see how the product could be passing EMC testing. If you have blackvue product request UL & CE certification and ask them why they are selling a product that interfere with DAB signals. My guess is they will soon send you our a few ferrite's for free.

Reactions: NHN
I have some of those interference things. Could it be a problem on any make of camera?

I've just looked and don't have that menu on my MMI 3G hdd

I've just looked and don't have that menu on my MMI 3G hdd

Had a look today myself iirc it's under the "setup" button list.

I can get onto the setup list but that particular line isn't there.

I haven't tinkered with my radio but it does switch from DAB to FM when the signal is lost (unless it's a DAB only station).

Reactions: feva
Allot of car chargers are terribly made, hit & miss interference wise, I use the Anker Power drive 12v socket dual USB unit, no interference issues unlike previous ones.

Allot of car chargers are terribly made, hit & miss interference wise, I use the Anker Power drive 12v socket dual USB unit, no interference issues unlike previous ones.
****** charming I've just ordered one, seen the anker ones (had their batteries before amazing) but bought a different one. See what it's like when it turns up.

The amount of rubbish that is being sold in the UK is quite shocking, non of it tested and somewhat dangerous. Thankfully as the voltage in cars is small there is little chance of it catching fire before blowing the fuse, unlike 240V mains chargers that are killing people.

Alternate frequency sounds it. Click it and what does it come up with?

Just either on or off. So is on for the alternative frequency?

This is the charger I've just got. Tried it today no interference at all.

f3b4bf4c0bd1730967a7c490e3fc02a9.jpg

Then again I get no interference with my dash cam either.

Reactions: bobby singh and gray99y
Reactions: jdp1962 and xpoweruk