DAB Radio Keeps Changing Station

imanoot

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 63 plate Sportback, with the MMI Radio. When its on DAB, the station changes from Radio 4 (Please don't judge!!) to Heart Norfolk. It appears to happen within a couple of minutes of getting into the car, and also at specific places that I drive through (for instance at the end of my road, near a certain roundabout and also when I leave my workplace). This leads me to believe that its a signalling problem rather than a problem with the radio itself. Dealer has checked and says that they have no other reports of the problem on file, and that the MMI has latest updates. I know its not a huge problem but its very annoying, especially as the Heart Norfolk channel seems to a be about 6000 decibels louder than Radio 4. I have tried a rescan but problem still happens. Had the car from new and problem started about 6 months ago. Anybody else experience this?

Potentially could be losing signal .ie dead spots and switching to the nearest available radio station. Try turning TP and TA off

Otherwise it might be that the area is haunted and the spirit of Sr Quattrolot is haunting you :p

Hi all, I have 63 plate Sportback, with the MMI Radio. When its on DAB, the station changes from Radio 4 (Please don't judge!!) to Heart Norfolk. It appears to happen within a couple of minutes of getting into the car, and also at specific places that I drive through (for instance at the end of my road, near a certain roundabout and also when I leave my workplace). This leads me to believe that its a signalling problem rather than a problem with the radio itself. Dealer has checked and says that they have no other reports of the problem on file, and that the MMI has latest updates. I know its not a huge problem but its very annoying, especially as the Heart Norfolk channel seems to a be about 6000 decibels louder than Radio 4. I have tried a rescan but problem still happens. Had the car from new and problem started about 6 months ago. Anybody else experience this?
I have a 15 plate S3 Sportback and get a similar issue....but it's very infrequent so not really happened enough times for me to take note/monitor if it happens in the same location etc.....I'll make a mental note to take note the next time it happens.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've had it change from DAB to FM but keeping the same station usually due to atmospheric conditions / coverage.

Don't use TP or TA. Also, it always jumps FROM and TO the same stations each time. The TO station is not stored in memory. I read somewhere that if you store the TO station then that solves the problem. Guess what....it didn't. It has happened almost every day this week, but in almost the same location on the way to work. So I am putting it down to some weird DAB transmission glitch where I must be driving through a zone where the two frequencies are similar....suppose I should listen to media instead of radio haha

Odd. It does sound like a TA/TP thing, although you've said that's switched off. Shame it doesn't swap to North Norfolk Digital :grinning:

Don't know if it's relevant, but I seem to remember a TV report a while back regarding weird things happening to car electrical systems in some parts of Norfolk - engines cutting out, radio malfunctions, etc.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I seem to remember a TV report a while back regarding weird things happening to car electrical systems in some parts of Norfolk - engines cutting out, radio malfunctions, etc.

IMG 3202

Reactions: richinsoton
Not near an RAF station ?? - although I think most in the area are now closed.

Sculthorpe area ?? Various 'establishments' like that may have all sorts of 'interference' problems.

Not had problems in the Wymondam/Norwich/Great Yarmouth areas but haven't been in North Norfolk area in latest S3.

I’ve just seen this after googling the same issue. I have a 64 plate A3 and the DAB occasionally changes from radio 4 (again, don’t judge) to a local Northampton station which I haven’t listened to otherwise. This station is also ear splittingly loud.
I haven’t noticed a pattern of where it happens as it’s really sporadic.
Did you ever find out what caused it imanoot?

I've had this when I used to keep my phone in my shorts leg pocket. Going round corners it used to press against the volume control button in the centre console causing the radio to skip frequencies.
Took me a while to figure it out lol

Reactions: oli356