DAB radio can it be added

TAC

Reaction score
Dear all, another newbie A6 question is it possible to retrofit DAB radio to the MMI system in my Allroad, is it just an additional unit required or is in very involved?? My car seems to have everything but DAB! Cheers for the advice?

@DJAlix is the person you need to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TAC
Hi . What's the car MY? 3g system needs just new tuner 4F0035061D (DAB) and either antenna amplifier or just third party antenna from eBay (12 quid) with built in amp . Tuner needs component protection removed so dealer visit will be also necessary

So yes, above one is your solution . Get new dab radio tuner + antenna and CP removal = sorted :)

Sorry, my bad.

Posted the wrong link. Should have been this one :racer:

Ok thanks for all the advice, so if I were to buy that unit from eBay and the antenna I Just have to plug them in, I assume it's straight forward and then take the car to audi to be coded or can it be coded via vcds. Cheers

Sorry, my bad.

Posted the wrong link. Should have been this one :racer:

That's correct . Exchange the tuner , plug new antenna to black plug (new) , attach antenna to window per instruction and you good to go to dealer for CP removal.

Thank you for that. Ignore my ignorance but what is CP short for? Also does it have to be completed by a main dealer or can someone with vcds do it?

Component Protection and NO VCDS will not remove CP.

Hi, DJ I'm based just outside of Reading off junction 12 of M4? Have bought both items show should have them by next week.

Hi, DJ I'm based just outside of Reading off junction 12 of M4? Have bought both items show should have them by next week.
You are about 50'ish miles from me. If you fancy popping over fire me over a pm or email on alex@vagcarcoding.com and we can discuss the details.

Is there any coding that needs to be done to enable the new tuner (aside from the removal of CP) or can this be done from the hidden green menu?

As far as i remember I just plugged the tuner and removed CP. radio will need coding if the donor car had bose and you don't or the other way around.

Yes coding is required, depending on the sound systems you have. On the facelift there were two options Audi system & Bose, if you have the Audi sound system you need to have the internal amp on the radio module enabled, if you have Bose then you need to disabled the internal AMP on the radio module. If it's not coded correctly to you car then you won't get any sound, that is the only real coding you need to change.

That makes perfect sense, guess it's just luck of the draw with the unit when it arrives.

Also can anyone clarify if an antennae amplifier is required or if connecting the antenna directly to the unit will suffice?

This is for MMI 2G and will not work with MY2010. Maybe kufatec will have 3G but personally I would go for OEM unit for example from ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-5...303423?hash=item41cc7831ff:g:mIwAAOSwnDFZX78l and antenna : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-DAB-A...557560&hash=item4ae7091ed2:g:6WkAAOSwR5dXR~jP.
I am currenty on this setup and everything works flawlessly.

Can you advise where you located the aerial? Are you getting good reception and all stations?

Thanks,

Ok, are we talking about the black box in the pics? Then a fakra cable to link that to the new radio module?

I'm assuming the silver box in that thread is something I don't need due to it being a different system maybe?

That is the old 2G system but the install for the aerial is almost the same. That looks like the correct antenna & cables.

Reactions: Steveredman
Ok thanks for that. Can you remember how long the cable from the aerial amplifier to the radio unit needs to be? I'm guessing at least 3m once it's routed around the boot.

I bought the kit from Kufatec with the cable and aerial amplifier when I did mine, saved worrying about how much cable was needed.

I bought the kit with the cable and aerial amplifier when I did mine.

Do you mean the kufatec one? Might make sense as then I know that I have everything.

Do you mean the kufatec one? Might make sense as then I know that I have everything.

Yes, sorry, I've edited my first post.
It even came with the speed nut thing that clips into the C-pillar and the self tapper to fasten it on.

My car had two short aerial wires already soldered to the glass, so I just had to join the wires on the supplied plug to them. I wouldn't have fancied trying to solder to the terminals on the glass...

Can you advise where you located the aerial? Are you getting good reception and all stations?

Thanks,

My one is attached directly to left rear window . Plugged into tuner :
dd62c06c633f28fb615f06a9a6916e52.jpg

I accidentally replied to the question on previous page . Here is my 12 quid worth antenna with build in amplifier :
f3736dd4aaa6978738de37e46dd2ba30.jpg

No issues from UK to PL border while driving through EU.

I accidentally replied to the question on previous page . Here is my 12 quid worth antenna with build in amplifier :
f3736dd4aaa6978738de37e46dd2ba30.jpg

No issues from UK to PL border while driving through EU.

That seems pretty cool, but although I may well regret dismantling half my car interior and there is a 75% chance that it'll get taken to the garage in bits for them to put back together, my urge to do things the (right? Or at least OE) Audi way means I will most likely go for the driver's side aerial method.

Tuner is on the left and all you need to do I fold down the rear backrest and unscrew one bolt in boot trim to get the cable in between to plug into tuner. Chances of messing it up are close to 1% :D

That is the old 2G system but the install for the aerial is almost the same. That looks like the correct antenna & cables.

Hopefully just one more question for now . . .

Any idea what the auxiliary heating option refers to? Do they mean the heating system in the car? How can I tell which one I need?

Auxiliary heating is for very cold climates where you need a heater which warms the car before you come outside to it.
I doubt that you will have that even with your mahoosive list of options :grinning:

Last edited:
Is this Webasto same thing then?

Auxiliary heating is for very cold climates where you need a heater which warms the car before you come outside to it.
I doubt that you will have that even with your mahoosive list of options :grinning:

Ah ok, does it heat the aerial up then? And how can I be 100% sure? It get's pretty cold ooop narth!

It has nothing to do with radio/aerial system. It's purely cooling system

It has nothing to do with radio/aerial system. It's purely cooling system

Fair enough, but why are Kufatec bothered if the car has it or not for this aerial amp? Just like to try and understand these things

To tell you the truth either I have not enough knowledge myself or it has something to do with harness in the car. Either way installing the amp for aerial shouldn't have any impact on your aux heating. I was concerned myself how to attach antenna cables to window itself without soldering hence i dropped the idea and bought third party antenna with build in amp. Only time it's dropping signal is when I am between building and full metal lorry on the other side. It happened maybe twice in London, probably due to interference. Other than that I had no issue whatsoever travelling from Dover to Manchester, Leeds etc.

No problem, I'll try to find out and post back when I have an answer. I've purchased the radio unit so that's on it's way, will sleep on the aerial thought and see if I want to embark on a voyage of dismantlement or not, I do appreciate having an alternative option if I'm feeling a bit cba.