Dab conversion

lee suddick

Reaction score
Just a quick question if i change my concert stereo to the same concert stereo but with dab would i have to change the tuner module aswell or will it just work a4 2010 b8

I changed my concert to a concert with DAB a few years ago, maybe look in the ICE section of this forum or get back to me with more questions.

My total price was £322 and I did all the fitting myself.

Reactions: lee suddick
I was thinking i could just buy a converter cable theres loads on ebay but im not sure if that will work

You will need to get a DAB amplifier module which will be mounted on the drivers side C pillar plus a fakra cable (I think about 5m). Not sure what you mean by tuner module?? The concert radio has the tuner in-built. MMI systems have a separate radio module.

You will need to get a DAB amplifier module which will be mounted on the drivers side C pillar plus a fakra cable (I think about 5m). Not sure what you mean by tuner module?? The concert radio has the tuner in-built. MMI systems have a separate radio module.

If he has a concert radio and no MMI then he will need to change the radio as there are two versions, one without DAB and one with DAB.

If he has a concert radio and no MMI then he will need to change the radio as there are two versions, one without DAB and one with DAB.

I realise that:wink: as I did consider doing the concert DAB upgrade myself but finally went for the full MMI 3G+ retrofit. On reflection I wish I went for the easier option and maybe an aftermarket screen with Android Auto.

Hi could someone show me what amplifier module i need plz theres loads on ebay and new to all this

would this do the job for the DAB ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-113742_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-113742_eBay.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 79
I would not risk it, you are looking for something like an 8K5 035 225 AC or even F.

To try to help you, what is the VW Group part number of the original non DAB Concert and what is the VW Group part number of the DAB version that you have bought, also what is the age of your car in case it makes any difference as at one point in time things got changed quite a bit, ie do you know the build date of your car?

Edit:- I played this upgrade very very safely and so only bought the parts that I knew were correct and would be what Audi would have fitted if my car had been spec'd for DAB radio at initial build, doing things that way worked out very well first time.

There is a chance that the aerial amplifier will be okay, but only a chance, you would need to be able to have access to a cross referencing chart to see what replaced what as time moved on.

I would not risk it, you are looking for something like an 8K5 035 225 AC or even F.

To try to help you, what is the VW Group part number of the original non DAB Concert and what is the VW Group part number of the DAB version that you have bought, also what is the age of your car in case it makes any difference as at one point in time things got changed quite a bit, ie do you know the build date of your car?
Hi all i know is its a 59 plate 2010 a4 and dont know any codes from the dab unit im waiting for it to arrive

I edited my last posting, you will have found out what your current non DAB radio is though and the one you bought must have been advertised with its VW Group part number and maybe even its manufacturer's, Panasonic model number.

It might do, as I said, I played safe, I've forgotten what the difference between "8T2" and "8R2" are, remember this new DAB radio needs to be able to communicate with the 8T0 screen and other parts of the car as it becomes part of your gateway to some of the car's functions.

I thought it would be just plug and play as all the connections are same on both of the radios i knew i would need a dab aeriel of sort

You will have to let us know if you have an avant or saloon as the antenna systems/amplifiers are different. You will also need to have component protection removed from the replacement DAB tuner.

You will have to let us know if you have an avant or saloon as the antenna systems/amplifiers are different. You will also need to have component protection removed from the replacement DAB tuner.
Its a saloon m8 and im aware of the component protection thanks bud

I found that once you fit a new component like a radio, as long as you don't switch on the ignition, you can test the radio's functions, which could let you check it out before getting CP removed, so maybe allowing you to get your money back if it ends up being faulty.

I don't know what the time limit is before the radio would lose sound as CP cuts in, but worth trying it, I bought a cheap DAB screen aerial from Halfords, maybe £15 so that I could get CP sorted out quickly and before I managed to get the correct aerial and lead, that cheap aerial was draped over the front passenger's seat without its 12V and 0V connected up, and it worked okay for that test and until I finally got the correct aerial and lead.

I found that once you fit a new component like a radio, as long as you don't switch on the ignition, you can test the radio's functions, which could let you check it out before getting CP removed, so maybe allowing you to get your money back if it ends up being faulty.

I don't know what the time limit is before the radio would lose sound as CP cuts in, but worth trying it, I bought a cheap DAB screen aerial from Halfords, maybe £15 so that I could get CP sorted out quickly and before I managed to get the correct aerial and lead, that cheap aerial was draped over the front passenger's seat without its 12V and 0V connected up, and it worked okay for that test and until I finally got the correct aerial and lead.
Thanks alot i will try that when it arrives