DAB aerial options?

DrEvil

Reaction score
Would like to get DAB in the car and understand that one of the key things is the aerial.

I have a Exeo ST (or B7 A4 Avant) - what options do I have that give me decent signal?

Are any of the internal mounted aerials any good?

Can I use my existing internal aerials with some kind of modifcation?

Prefer not to go for an external as don't want a wire dangling which means drilling through as far as I can see. But if that really is the only option for decent signal, then I'll look into it.

Thanks for any help.

Does you car have a sharks fin at the moment? I found a SEAT or Skoda sharks fin DAB/GPS/GSM/FM/AM for around 90 euros. I have lost the website now but I'm sure you could find it.

I tried one of the screen internal aerials, the reception was terrible, so fitted a roof mount DAB/FM/MW aerial, now have great DAB reception.
Have a look at dabonwheels website, lots of info on aerials there!

Are the roof mounted aerials just plug & plug..?

Also what DAB kit's are people using..?

If you bought some of the ones I have seen they have the same coloured fakra plugs as used by VW/Audi.

Unfortunately most of the DAB units seem to have screw connector which name escapes me but could be SMA or SMB or even SMF

The Fiscon DAB units use the black Fakra connector. Black is the standard colour for a DAB fakra.

s8craig - thank you very much for posting replies on this.

I took another look at my car and realised I have a side rear panel which I think may have an inbuilt, but not connected DAB aerial. I'll upload a pic of the connector that is hanging out in the boot side compartment. I also found this old thread in which you posted. I'm wondering if I could connect an amplifier like in the b8 a4 models and use this as my aerial. I could run power from my boot cig lighter

Any idea how good the signal is compared to a shark fin?

dxhctc.jpg

I have no idea, the B7 A4 was never fitted with DAB so why would the Exeo have it, my feeling is that it might work but it's your risk.

Yeah, I knew that the B7 didn't have that option, but then again the Exeos were being built at the same time as the B8 was out, so there are some oddities. Is there a way of telling if that is right connector for DAB or some other way of knowing if the aerial is set up for DAB?

Ok thanks. Would you know if this looks like the same connector as on a B8 (3 pin ISO with 2 wire going into it?).

If it was the same as that on the B8, do you know if would I need 8K5035225N or 8K9035225N?

Can anyone here please upload a pic of a b8 rear side window panel with in built dab aerial and the connector, wondering if mine is a dab one or just a standard fm aerial?