DA-31 Users...

hendo#1

Reaction score
How loud is your DA-31?

I bought this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170658025046?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And it is LOUD. Video -

Its rubber mounted, and still probably too loud to talk over inside the car. I'm already sick of explaining to anyone within 10 meters of the car that it isn't broken, and is in fact a secondary fuel pump. Non car types just look at me like I'm stupid :openmouth:

It is plumbed and wired correctly, car runs great otherwise.

How loud is everyone else's?

Reactions: Jay 01 s3
Thinking out loud here.

I have my DA-31 wired into the existing fuel pump wiring. I wonder if the DA-31 is dragging the voltage down on the in-tank pump? If it isn't working at 100% efficiency maybe it is struggling to keep up with the DA-31, and the noise I can hear is the fuel.

I'll try giving the DA-31 a dedicated supply and report back.

FWIW to others for future information, I wired my multimeter in series with the in-tank pump to see what is was pulling. No matter how hard I flogged my stage 2 tuned S3 it never pulled more than 7amps. My fuel pump is OEM Audi and almost new.

You need to wire an inline off a separate supply/relay else it will cook the wiring

<tuffty/>

Agreed tuffty, it was just a case of getting it running for now.

Anyhow, with its own dedicated supply, still noisy. Far too noisy for me to live with so its coming out.

Would still like to hear other peoples experiences with these pumps.

maybe they should add those to F1 cars to make them louder - that's more embarrassing than my blowing exhaust, might actually be louder too.

Still I suppose that's the price you pay for 500 BHP.

They are generally louder when not used with a swirl pot

It does vary... have seen a lot of variance in the past... it maybe that some pumps are more sensitive to pressure from behind than others (seems to vary from pump to pump from what I have seen)

In an ideal world you would fit a swirl pot, fill it from the intank and use the inline to fuel the rail... not easy when there is no room underneath and filling the boot is not an option... do it wrong or too cheaply then you can get fuel smell in the cabin which is difficult to get rid of ..

I plan to look into a decent swirl pot solution for mine at some point... only for peace of mind really as I have been running a DA 31 for many years in this configuration and never had the level of noise reported by others... yes there is a hum thats noticeable on idle but for me at least its reassuring to hear

<tuffty/>

Ive removed it and put the stock fuel filter back in place. Luckily I didnt get around to relocating the filter to the engine bay so its all back to OEM now.

I could live with a noticable hum, but having the neighbours curtains twitch when I start the car, and having to raise my voice when talking inside the car was a step too far for me.

As I said, my in tank pump is OEM and almost new so I'm ruling that out of being part of the problem.

The car will be going to Bills at some point early this year for a hybrid set-up, heres to hoping the standard pump is upto it.

can you just replace the standard pump in the swirl pot in the tank with this super powered one?

Mine is super loud aswel, and will be coming out, I want to get a Bosch 044 which I hope will be a lot quieter,

How are they in relation to noise, compared to OEM?

This inline set-up has ****** me right off, I want to use it, but its just too loud.

This in-tank should be at least a satisfactory solution. I just wish I had spotted it before I spent money on the inline setup.

Noise wise. The in tank can be heard as a slight buzz when you are idling, no stereo ad listening for it.

Once driving or any other sound is present you don't hear it it's that faint.

I've acclimatised to it already and don't notice any noise at all

Reactions: S3 Hilife
I found the DW65v to be as quiet as the OEM intank pump, possibly a little quieter. The DA-31 is a little more noisy but not annoyingly loud

Steve