D3S Xenon Bulbs

dpaz

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their D3S Xenon bulbs? If so, what bulbs did you buy and would you recommend them? Mine are looking pretty yellow so wanting to swap them out.

So far I have found:

Philips Xtreme-Vision 42403XVC1 4800K D3S
Meant to be fairly good performance for your money but only slightly whiter than OEM with no blue tint.

Osram 66340CBI 5000K D3S
Very difficult to get hold and there is a user on Motor-Talk.de which wouldn't recommend them as they aren't much different to the Philips XVs which are cheaper.

Philips Ultinon 42403WX 6000K D3S
These are meant to be awesome but from he pictures I've seen they are very blue which will mean a poor light output. Also only available from the US.

BLESK 5000K D3S
Non-OEM manufacturer but 1 year warranty, pretty cheap and the reviews over on Audizine say they are decent. Only available from the US.

Good research.

Need the same info as above.

Let's see what info comes in

Cheers

Ordered the almighty Ultinons after hearing incredible things about them over on two US forums (Audizine and G35) also found them with 20% discount from reputable supplier which meant they were same price as the XVs.

Will post some pictures once fitted.

Yeh they may be as tried 6000k and bit of mismatch with the standard OEM DRLS

I'd like to upgrade my bulbs as they don't seem to light the road that far ahead or is that normal ? The xenons on my A3 lit the road up better.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
You have a point....they could be better. I think we all must get newer type ie Phillips or Osram

Think I'll look at upgrading when I change the grill on mine.

I did via PM m8.

From experience I've found you can't always go on the colour temp that manufacturers state. I have seen images of the 5000K Osram CBI D3S bulbs over on Motor-Talk and they are pretty much the same light colour as the standard bulbs which supposedly have a colour temp of 4100-4300K.

For example, I have some T10 LED B7 side light bulbs from Philips that state 6000K and they are plain white with no blue or purple whatsoever.

5000k should be yellow/white.
6000k should be pure white, no blue,
8000k will have the hint of blue/blue.

Reactions: SI-W85 and dpaz
These are my ultinons. they are D2S running an aftermarket high quality ballast which is as good as OEM but aint OEM so with a OEM ballast it will produce a whiter colour.

My projectors are called FX'r 3.0's.

Low Beam.

The inner is a LED, that's 6500k, the Ultinon in 1st start up and the 1st few hours of use are a type of purple then they whiten up.

Any other questions on them please ask.

I bought CBi's for this project, very yellow so change to ultinons, I wont be going back to less than these now.

What prices are you guys getting on ultinons and what fitments as I can get them for a good price and happy to pass on the saving to you guys.

Trups

Reactions: dpaz
Nice setup! The D2S fitment are higher voltage (85V) than the D3S (42V) so mine are never gonna be as bright as that. But not bought them just for light output, also for the light colour.

Got mine from RetroFitSource in their Black Friday sale for £150. Didn't know you could get hold of them Trups.

Just hoping they match the DRLs okay. But at the moment my stock bulbs are more yellow compared to DRLs so anything is better than that.

Last edited:
I'm trs's uk dealer, got a hole load of their stock currently been uploaded to my shop which goes live in January so if anyone needs anything then let me know and if I don't have it I can get it in saving postage and customs charges etc.

Il get a picture of the ultinons in my Mini Cooper s, they are exactly the same projectors as your b8.5 but are d1s, I've done a mod to mine which I think you will like also.

Just an update.

Got the D3S Philips Ultinons over the Xmas period and fitted them. First impressions are the colour of the lamp itself isn't blue at all and is a plain white. I suspected this would be the case from following a thread over on Motor-Talk.de, the reviews from ze germans was that nearly all the D3S bulbs they have tested (which is pretty much all the D3S bulbs available on the market) gave a plain white or even yellow/white appearance. So I felt pretty safe ordering the higher 6000K kelvin rating.

In summary:

- Light output on the road is much whiter
- Light output is improved (which I agree goes against the higher K = less light principle)
- Blue tint is only visible at cut-off
- Match DRLs well

Would I recommend them? Well if your in a similar position to me where you've had the same Xenon bulbs in the car from new and you can pick them up for about £140-150 (same price as the Philips XVs) then yes I would recommend these, but I wouldn't bother if your in a 3 years or younger car.

Also they aren't actually legal in the UK, but no MOT tester will be able to tell. They would have to remove the headlight and then read the small text on the back of the bulb which states "Not for road use in UK/Europe".

Reactions: SI-W85 and t8ups
Wait till they wear in, mine are now at around 40 hours and they are pure white, I will get some new pictures but they look nothing like my pictures earlier where they had less than 2 hours of use.

if anyone is interested I will be doing a TRS stock order so can get some in with that.

Thanks
trups

I'm interested as I have just had a bulb go on me tonight, please pm me t8ups with a price and delivery for the above mentioned bulbs.

:( my drls on that side are also looking a little yellow how can this be?