t8ups

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.emtuning.co.uk
D3S xenon Headlamp boost kit.

Over the last few months i have been working on a few upgrades. Lots of my popular mods are plug and play, however some mods require the headlight to be opened. To do this mod would be an all-round better solution as no headlight needs to be split and you will get awesome results.

A quick brief on a D3S system: it is a 42v input. Older cars that use a D1S system have a 85v input. So you will notice the difference in output. Doing the ballast boost you will gain extra output from your d3s bulb. For the ultimate output i will mod a D1S bulb to fit your D3S projectors along with the new Morimoto XB55 ballasts.

A D3S ballast will NOT power a D1S bulb, not enough juice.

Here are output pictures of the Bosch projector found in the A4 B8's and FL A5's:

Oem bulb with oem ballast (D3S)

Oem bulb (D3S) with the XB55 ballasts

Morimoto 6500k D1S bulb with XB55 ballasts.

All above pictures have been done on the same Projector (OEM Bosch found in the FL A5’s and All B8 A4’s that have xenons. This is on the OEM Projector lens, I do have a clear lens mod for these projectors if you would like to further enhance output, however this does require the headlight to be opened)

Here are pictures of the kit i have put together: i have had ballast holders and grommets CNC'd so this is full plug and play. It will be sealed, a small trim in the headlight casing will be needed to allow the new high output bulb cable to be fed in, it will be very small and will still be sealed.

The headlights in the above picture are from a 2016 Golf R which will use the same projectors as a pre Facelift A5 (Valeo projectors).

Pictures of before and after on the Valeo projectors are also shown above. These are from a 2011 RS5 which came in for this mod also. I have turned exposure and contrasts down so you can see where the light is. (Ignore the black dots at the bottom of the shutter, they are exhaust splats from a 930hp RS6 which was sat idle for a few mins back in 2015 and cant be cleaned off).

Before

(Note that the RH headlight was poorly adjusted, I should of adjusted before taking but didn’t manage to)

After – These are the Osram CBi bulbs with Morimoto XB55 ballasts

Here are the test shots from a Valeo projector the same as the Bosch ones on the facelight A5’s and B8 A4’s.

OEM Bulb and OEM ballast

OEM Bulbs and Morimoto XB55 Ballasts

Morimoto D1S 6500k and Morimoto XB55 ballasts

The bulbs that will be supplied and modded will be the Osram CBi D1S bulbs. If you have recently bought D3S oem branded bulbs then the ballast kit can be sold separately to give them a boost. I do not recommend this ballast be used with cheap unbranded bulbs. The D1S needs modding to fit a D3S bulb holder, i will do this before the bulbs are sent out as part of the service, if I do not carry this out it will not fit.

List of cars that can be done right now are:
Audi A5 facelift and pre facelift
Audi A4 B8 Facelift and pre facelift
Audi Q5 Facelift
Audi A7 With Xenons
Audi A3 8V PRE FL with Xenons
VW Golf MK7

So headlights with the D3S system made by AL Bosch or Valeo. If you have Hella then there is no hope for you, its a fully rebuild with better projectors.

The full kit will be £299 posted within the UK and you will get a full 2 year warranty.

Postage in the UK is free and will be RM 2nd class signed for. Outside the UK will be £7.

Any questions then please ask in this thread and I will try to answer as best I can.

Thanks

Trups

EM Tuning

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, AU11 ALS, SteveMcB and 2 others
Hi Trups, I've got an SQ5 plus with OME bulbs and lights, TBH I feel they could be a bit brighter with better penetration, are there any options you could recommend for that car? Cheers.

Hi Trups, I've got an SQ5 plus with OME bulbs and lights, TBH I feel they could be a bit brighter with better penetration, are there any options you could recommend for that car? Cheers.

Hi.

This is the Kit for you :D.

your headlights are the Valeo ones so you would go with the ones along the bottom, you can see the improvement it gave, fitted some last week to a 2016 Golf R and the feedback email came in last night and its said " its like a fuc*king lighthouse, its unreal, I'm over the moon".

Its a plug and play kit, only snipet you need to do is in the back case with a Stanley blade to let the high voltage cable pass into the headlight.

Trups

Reactions: martinivw, SteveMcB and Sandra
Thanks for this, it's got the adaptive lights and must admit I'm a bit reluctant to try taking them out and modding them myself - it's also under warranty! Can you maybe point me to an installation guide?

HI.

The headlights don't need to be opened to carry out this Mod. They will need to be taken off the car, on a Q5 I am unsure how they come out but once off you remove the old bulb and old ballasts, you plug in the new kit, mount the ballasts in place of the existing ballast and plug it all together, this will not mess with any of the adaptive systems, it will all still work as it did before.

If you look at the pictures, you can see where I removed the old ballasts, plugged in the new wiring and put it all back together, I have plenty of spare headlights of other models so It wont be hard for me to help but from the pics in this thread will be more than enough for you to fit them, it really is just a case of swapping the parts over then driving down a dark road thinking why the hell Audi didn't put a higher voltage system in.

Trups

Reactions: martinivw and Sandra
HI.

The headlights don't need to be opened to carry out this Mod. They will need to be taken off the car, on a Q5 I am unsure how they come out but once off you remove the old bulb and old ballasts, you plug in the new kit, mount the ballasts in place of the existing ballast and plug it all together, this will not mess with any of the adaptive systems, it will all still work as it did before.

If you look at the pictures, you can see where I removed the old ballasts, plugged in the new wiring and put it all back together, I have plenty of spare headlights of other models so It wont be hard for me to help but from the pics in this thread will be more than enough for you to fit them, it really is just a case of swapping the parts over then driving down a dark road thinking why the hell Audi didn't put a higher voltage system in.

Trups

Thanks mate, I'll do a bit more research and hopefully find out how easy/difficult it is to get them out. Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but do I use my existing bulbs or the modded D1s?

Thanks mate, I'll do a bit more research and hopefully find out how easy/difficult it is to get them out. Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but do I use my existing bulbs or the modded D1s?

You will use the new ones I send out which are D1S, they have a higher input voltage which make them perform better than D3S. We can go D3S bulbs or you can use the 50W ballasts with your existing bulbs but they will go warmer in colour.

The good thing about this kit is that it can be Fully reversed so when you sell the car you can put the old items back on and no one will ever know they where ever fitted.

Trups

The Q5 headlights come out without bumper removal making this whole task easier.

That's good news, I've been doing a bit digging but can't find any guides on how to get the lights right out. It looks easy enough to loosen them off but all the threads I've read say that they only slide out a few cm.

That's good news, I've been doing a bit digging but can't find any guides on how to get the lights right out. It looks easy enough to loosen them off but all the threads I've read say that they only slide out a few cm.

Where are you based? when you slide forward you turn them out slightly then they come off the slider, like the B8 A4 and A5's.

Trups

Reactions: martinivw
Will you be making a kit for the facelifted Q7?

let me come back to you later, I know the headlights are Valeo in the Q7 which is what the kit is for, I just need to see what ballast you have fitted so my bracket kit and wiring can work with your headlight.

Trups

Reactions: Sandra
Where are you based? when you slide forward you turn them out slightly then they come off the slider, like the B8 A4 and A5's.

Trups

In Edinburgh mate otherwise I would have asked you to do it. Thanks for the tip on removal I'll give that a look.

Reactions: t8ups
So, t8ups, (or should I say Dr Evil?), sharks with frickin' laser beams in their heads, huh?! Nice work, really nice.
And timely - I've just recently returned from a road trip through the wilds of south-eastern Australia, that included a deal of night driving on unlit country roads. I've come away from the experience somewhat underwhelmed by the quality of light cast by the xenons on my FL A5, particularly on high beam. How can anything that looks so impressive in an urban setting be so disappointing in the big dark? So, any data on "throw" range for dipped and high beam?

HI.

yes they are poor, I do a clear lens mod also which on the FL A5 headlights aint too bad to do but you do need to split the headlights to do that, mated with this mod you will never ever struggle on light but just doing the clear lens mod has had good results without the need for uprated ballasts but that mod is not for everyone.

The Range of the Dipped beam does not change, (this is down to the reflector bowl/design of the projector) if you look at the pictures, any light under the cutoff is whats projected onto the Road, so see on the pictures where the hot spot is larger and wider this means ALOT more light projected onto the roads in front and also at the sides. In High beam the light will travel further as the light output is more intense, where on a D3S bulb it will Dye out the D1S system will throw that light a good distance.

if you wanted your lights to have a longer range in dipped and high then its a full on projector swap which I can do but I need the lights here with me or there are a few companies in OZ that work on lights but none that mainly work on Audi lights like I do.

Trups

Reactions: martinivw and JulianW
The local authorities are already slightly weird on xenons as it is. I suspect that clear lenses would push them right over the edge. So, maybe not that option. However, given your kit is pushing out MUCH more light, that would probably be sufficient, especially side scatter.
Right, well, I'd better start saving my Oz pesos, then!

Any pics of them in the dark vs the stock ones? There is clearly more light on the garage door, but what about the real world.

How is beam pattern and light scatter for oncoming cars on the kits?

Would love a touch brighter light, but not sure I can justify £300 unless they are ****** epic.

Hi Chris.

I can arrange a local B8.5 to quickly fit the kit for me and take some shots in the Dark so you can see on the Road.

To your Answer for the Beam pattern and light scatter the answers are in the Pictures in the OP. Beam PATTERN is unaffected, the light still travels to the left for the UK Beam Pattern.

Light Scatter is also unharmed, any light about the cut off is what causes glare to oncoming traffic, if you look in all pics there is no visible difference in Glare/scatter, when doing the fitting you need to mark where the beam is and when putting the lights back in you need to make sure they are back in exactly the same place, fitting new bulbs and ballasts wont change this, removal of the headlamp and refitting can so that's important.

All light that is BELOW the cut off is what projectors onto the road where you need the light, the characteristics of the distance don't change on low beam but the intensity does meaning a lot more light, on high beam you will get more distants as the light will travel further as there is more power to push it.

These wont be a touch brighter Chris, these will be ****** Epic in your words :), if it wasn't worth it then I wouldn't bother but it really is a night and day transformation and its where the D3S system struggles.

Thanks

Reactions: martinivw and SteveMcB
Cheers for the reply Trups.

Some dark shots would be good, preferably over the distance the light covers. We have a lot of country roads round here which are often unlit and my work pattern usually means leaving home around 6am and can return in the early hours of the morning depending what shift pattern im on. (1-2am) So having the bit extra light is good; especially in the winter months.

Look forward with interest on this. I guess the full kit includes the ballasts and the D1S modified bulb to fit the D3S headlight fittings. I guess the bulbs are good quality parts as seen the prices of some D3S bulbs and can top the £100 mark!!! :eek:

Reactions: SteveMcB
The bulbs in this kit are Osram CBi D1S's, not cheap bulbs at all, I have selected them to come with the kit as they give a good colour and they are known in the lighting world as best of the best.

Reactions: martinivw
These pictures have been taken by a customer for me, car is a 64reg A4 B8.5, this uses the Bosch projectors.

OEM bulbs where Philips xenstart OEM 4300k.
New bulbs are Osram CBi.

Pictures of afters are with around 1 hour of use, they will get a lot whiter as they bed in.

Low beam OEM

Low Beam Modded

High beam OEM

High beam Modded

Low beam OEM

Low Beam Modded

High Beam OEM

High beam Modded

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man, martinivw, Turbo Tony and 2 others
So I have the Hella lights on my C7 where splitting is a pain. Spoke to Trups and i got myself some morimoto ballasts and Osram CBI bulbs. No internal changes at all but quite a difference on the road!

Next day delivery, he walked me through the swap on the phone and i was done in under an hour.

Great as always. Thanks mate
fb3aad01385deaac5281070681f4751a.jpg
c1efa7a629c8482a667d18519943ddd6.jpg
5e0ede255de62c921310b7b81b54be31.jpg
330f902feb5e220cac8098788dc26f94.jpg
cd314d94e0a7262772c22a4d8dfcc965.jpg
5f1db82efe9730e3e039fb117d43614f.jpg
4295d3a7b7c71b2d21e825c2c21de92c.jpg
04743eb1e6cf6b729dea1d6c87737ba0.jpg
8ddcc4ebcf92d4d1bc621189c3240f2c.jpg
f97f7f67799ef9caf49e40c38a0a9688.jpg
d34b2e5bf321dcaa4e9fe2a8fa940258.jpg
9b2e49df79f58d005a6b90bd1cbb1d31.jpg
064e1c2a30ccf233fbe4f3398046c6a2.jpg
f4acd68839eb07359aa96565f78bbf4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: martinivw, V6_Man and t8ups
Trups Hi

all your pics seem to have been taken offline - are you able to reconnect them or perhaps send me a PM or link to them so I can see the original pics as well as the follow ups you sent out?

A

Dark wet winter nights have got me searching for an upgrade for my headlights.
These supercharged cars are fast and the lights are just not good enough.
Back in the day, we simply bolted on a big pair of Hella or Cibie Spotlights.

Eureka! I found this post - D3S to D1S conversion, appears to be the best/most sensible/worthwhile option.
Brilliant idea - Kit ordered

sooo tempted by these kits. Any discount for previous customers :p

Eventually bit the bullet and ordered a kit off Trups for my A4 B8.5. Rocked up saturday morning and fitted before lunch. Fitting was a doddle, although pretty tight behind the B8.5 headlights especially airbox side, but nothing that cant be solved if you have small hands.

Quality of the kit is very impressive. Ballasts had plenty weight in them which is good, finished in strong metal casing. Wiring for both parts very good quality made by reputable brand....tyco I think it was.

Got installed and went out for test drive that night, and difference was immense, tonnes more light output over the factory D3s bulbs. Only managed to get the 1 comparison pic in the same location at present, but also took a pic on dark road home tonight comparing dipped and main beams. Fairly big image so be hard viewing on a phone....sorry.

aG9fdG1.jpg

And this pic below doesnt have a before unfortunately.

c7EFRq9.jpg

Hopefully upload doesnt take away too much photo quality.

Other comparisons to come when I get chance to travel the same route in the dark.

Reactions: DeanoC
Fed up with the pitiful output, especially in the rain on tarmac when it was basically dangerous, of the standard HIDs on my 65 S3 8V, I have also taken the plunge and this week went up and bought a kit off Thrups. Brilliant guy by the way, certainly knows his stuff.

Using Osram bulbs but rather than go for his standard 5000k Cool Blue I went for the same as standard 4300k bulbs but in uprated Nightbreaker form. I prefer the less white light. As it was the first he had used Thrups said that he checked the bulb in a fitting with a lumens meter and its output was at least the 70% over standard, and much more than the Cool Blue. So that was a positive sign for good things to come.

So back home me and my mate, now retired after a working life in bodyshops, set to work in the sunshine yesterday. We set aside a couple of hours to do the job. Although I am an amateur, I have spent much of the last 10 years stripping and reassembling cars, he is not and knows what he is doing but neither of us had tackled an S3 or A3 before but he has worked on other Audis. We also have a good collection of tools including battery wrench, screwdrivers etc.

Due to his past experience with shitshields we decided to leave them in place and just release back to the struts with the front wheels off. Probably a mistake. From inserting the jacks, due to the difficulty of easy access to the bumper bolts, it was 75 minutes until the bumper was free. Now we had a headlight to work on. It took us 15 mins to work out how to release the bulb and much the same to work out the best wiring route, the S3 needs a longer ballast to bulb wire than the EM standard, then similar to modify the housing, silicone seal the cable access hole under the ballast, then trial fit it and test OK, which it was. So that was another hour gone and we wern't halfway. Now we were up to speed the second light unit was a doddle, 20 mins or so. Fitting them took another 10 mins or so. Then it was onto bumper replacement. This was when we really regretted have the shields still in place. Even though we both have skinny arms it was a nightmare not getting a straight push onto some of the bolts. If we hadn't had a magnetic bit screwdriver for the T30 bit I shudder to think how long it would have taken, we really needed the long reach version which my mate had at home, of course. Jacks in to jacks out/bolts tight was the best part of 5 hours!

Talk about a steep learning curve. I would think we could do it again, with that screwdriver, in half that time. Faster with the shields off but I don't know how long it would take to refit them. Think I should have perhaps have asked if Thrups would fit them!

The good thing about it taking so long was that by then it was dark and I could test them. I had previously had the aiming checked to be spot on and marked the garage doors for simple beam alignment. The good news was that the new bulb combination was spot on. Initially the light output seemed to be much as the old was but once they had been on for 20 minutes or so output was rising fast. Now, after an hour or so they are just as I had hoped them to b, same spread but much more light in the centre. There is so much that I adjusted the offside down abit to reduce any possible ahgst from oncoming traffic.

Having recently had a 67 A4 courtesy car with LEDs, which were only marginally better than the S3, I am now a really happy bunny, £300 very well spent.

Clearly, based on my experience, these new light systems are not a patch on the old D1S ones but no doubt a lot cheaper for Audi.

Is this still a thing? I'm looking for something to upgrade my B8 A5 pre FL and have looked all over the internet with this being the most appealing option.

I haven't found any guide on how to disassemble the lights anywhere, does the kit come with one? It seems rather daunting as it's all glued together.

With my S3 there is no dismantling of the light unit. The old ballast is unscrewed and swapped, a small notch is cut in one of the access holes for the new cable and the bulb replaced as normal. All the work, in terms of time, is getting the headlight units out of the car.

The way I see it, the A5 has horrible projector lenses that need to be swapped out. If it's possible through just keyhole surgery, as it were, all the better.

I do, but the lenses are crap and fogged up and are the main reason for the dimness. If they can be cleaned, no need to buy new ones.

Fair enough but your original question didn't belong in this thread.

You might get better answers if you start a thread of your own asking for suggestions on the best way forward.

I suppose, I was just following the topic as the original post did mention the A5, among other models. Didn't want to spam the forums with yet another thread if it could possibly be answered by the OP in here (if he's still around).

Happy to see this invention @t8ups

As you know I have an A3 FL3 and the lights are ****, actually to the point where I try not to go out in the dark as especially on left hand bends, the ECE pattern doesn't light up the right side of the road.

You gave me a good quote to fix this, but I had some engine issues that bit into the budget. My dad is buying an SQ5 after Jan and he has offered me give me his 2013 Q5, if I give him whatever I can sell my car for. So basically I get a 60k mile, 2013 Q5 3.0 Tdi S Line for £~7k.

They have much better lights but I notice in the local Waitrose multistorey, the beam is still weak and for some reason the alignment is all over the place, so I will need to fix this. The right pattern actually sits higher than the left which is odd..

So I will be coming to you after next year at some point, probably for a projector upgrade tbh as I really hate ECE patterns especially on the tight Cheshire lanes here.