Q5 D3S Headlight bulb/ballast upgrade kit (Facelift)

Status
Not open for further replies.

t8ups

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.emtuning.co.uk
D3S xenon Headlamp boost kit.
If your interested in this kit or need any more information, please click on the link below.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/d3s-headlight-bulb-ballast-upgrade-kit.316772/#post-2964520

Over the last few months i have been working on a few upgrades. Lots of my popular mods are plug and play, however some mods require the headlight to be opened. To do this mod would be an all-round better solution as no headlight needs to be split and you will get awesome results.

A quick brief on a D3S system: it is a 42v input. Older cars that use a D1S system have a 85v input. So you will notice the difference in output. Doing the ballast boost you will gain extra output from your d3s bulb. For the ultimate output i will mod a D1S bulb to fit your D3S projectors along with the new Morimoto XB55 ballasts.

A D3S ballast will NOT power a D1S bulb, not enough juice.

Here are output pictures of the Bosch projector found in the A4 B8's and FL A5's:

Oem bulb with oem ballast (D3S)

Oem bulb (D3S) with the XB55 ballasts

Morimoto 6500k D1S bulb with XB55 ballasts.

All above pictures have been done on the same Projector (OEM Bosch found in the FL A5’s and All B8 A4’s that have xenons. This is on the OEM Projector lens, I do have a clear lens mod for these projectors if you would like to further enhance output, however this does require the headlight to be opened)

Here are pictures of the kit i have put together: i have had ballast holders and grommets CNC'd so this is full plug and play. It will be sealed, a small trim in the headlight casing will be needed to allow the new high output bulb cable to be fed in, it will be very small and will still be sealed.

The headlights in the above picture are from a 2016 Golf R which will use the same projectors as a pre Facelift A5 (Valeo projectors).

Pictures of before and after on the Valeo projectors are also shown above. These are from a 2011 RS5 which came in for this mod also. I have turned exposure and contrasts down so you can see where the light is. (Ignore the black dots at the bottom of the shutter, they are exhaust splats from a 930hp RS6 which was sat idle for a few mins back in 2015 and cant be cleaned off).

Before

(Note that the RH headlight was poorly adjusted, I should of adjusted before taking but didn’t manage to)

After – These are the Osram CBi bulbs with Morimoto XB55 ballasts

Here are the test shots from a Valeo projector the same as the Bosch ones on the facelight A5’s and B8 A4’s.

OEM Bulb and OEM ballast

OEM Bulbs and Morimoto XB55 Ballasts

Morimoto D1S 6500k and Morimoto XB55 ballasts

The bulbs that will be supplied and modded will be the Osram CBi D1S bulbs. If you have recently bought D3S oem branded bulbs then the ballast kit can be sold separately to give them a boost. I do not recommend this ballast be used with cheap unbranded bulbs. The D1S needs modding to fit a D3S bulb holder, i will do this before the bulbs are sent out as part of the service, if I do not carry this out it will not fit.

List of cars that can be done right now are:
Audi A5 facelift and pre facelift
Audi A4 B8 Facelift and pre facelift
Audi Q5 Facelift
Audi A7 With Xenons
Audi A3 8V PRE FL with Xenons
VW Golf MK7

So headlights with the D3S system made by AL Bosch or Valeo. If you have Hella then there is no hope for you, its a fully rebuild with better projectors.

The full kit will be £299 posted within the UK and you will get a full 2 year warranty.

Postage in the UK is free and will be RM 2nd class signed for. Outside the UK will be £7.

Any questions then please ask in this thread and I will try to answer as best I can.

Thanks

Trups

EM Tuning

Reactions: paul wev
Status
Not open for further replies.