1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

D3S Headlamp bulb upgrade

KrisKrk Oct 11, 2016

1. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant

Got around it and its working now.

It looks like faulty led bulb was creating short, as you suggested Simon.
    Did not try with ordinary bulb as pulled out faulty led and switched ignition off. Than replaced leds, started ignition and voila! Working
    IMG_6877.JPG

Thank you guys for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveredman likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Steveredman

Steveredman Registered User

Better late than never??

As I now have my car back I thought I'd upload the pics of the cornering lights next to the Xenons for reference.

You can see the mirrored piece next to the bulb that causes the light to illuminate the side of the road rather than in front.

_MG_8418e.JPG _MG_8419e.JPG

4. KrisKrk

Nice!
    Don't think my car have this feature. At least haven't spotted it.

Do you happen to know what type the cornering bulbs are.
    Could not figure it out as even dealership says it is same as dipped beam D3S.
    It look's like norma halogen to me.

Had a bumper off last night to change the grille to RS6 honeycomb style but it was 2 at night and forgot to take the lamp out.
    Access to them from the engine bay is a real PITA

5. Steveredman

Mine are 100% H8, but looking at the picture of your headlight that you posted the inside is clearly different so can't count on them being the same. Only way is going to be to take them out so think!

6. KrisKrk

Thanx Steve,

Checked my headlamps and definitely don't have those cornering ones. Probably standard.

When the weather improves, I'll get them out but at the moment can't be bothered. As it is, I'm not using the main beam.

7. KrisKrk

After some time of driving, I think the bulbs should've already setlled in.
    IMG_7122.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7125.JPG

Will try to take a picture in dark road to show how's the light spread changed with those bulbs.

Happy with them as they are definitely brighter than others I had originally fitted.

Maybe, with time, will change to something even brighter and cooler in temperature to be 100% happy

Turbo Tony likes this.
  8. Turbo Tony

Turbo Tony Registered User

Thanks for posting, those lights look great!

Just to throw another YouTube test into the mix - the Phillips came out really well in this video. A always thought Phillips and Osram were the same company, so these should be the Nightbreakers, right?

9. KrisKrk

Great video Tony.
    They say Osram Xernac they testing but dont say specific model.
    My OEM bulbs were Orsram Xernac and teplaced them with CBI Xernac's.

It looks like however, my first considered choice of Philips Xtreme vision should be my actual choice.
    They look like giving much cooler temperature light, excellent pattern and highest lux power.

That is all in this "controlled environment", as this guy says.

10. Turbo Tony

The Osram bulb in the test is yours - they mention the CBI, which is the Cool Blue Intense.

I suspect the Philips ExtremeVision may be the same as the Osram Nightbreaker. Other than the "+150%" on the packaging of the Philips, the specs look pretty much identical on the ABD website.

I think I'm going to take a chance with the Philips and hope for the best.

11. Turbo Tony

OK, I pulled the trigger on a set of Philips Extreme gen2 bulbs. I hope I'm not disappointed (especially at that price!).

KrisKrk likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Roadrunner146

Roadrunner146 Registered User

Let us know. I could do with a pair.

14. KrisKrk

gen2 bulbs?
    What's the difference in those Philips gen1?

Yeah, show us what you've got out of them and maybe I'll swap mines again.

15. Turbo Tony

Don't worry, I'll definitely post back once I get the car back. The trouble is, I'm not sure what I'm comparing the new bulbs to. My car lights had a bluey-greeny tinge to them and didn't feel as bright as some others I've driven. I don't know whether it's because the OEM bulbs were worn, or if the previous owner put some crappy bulbs in there. All I know is that they didn't really change after warming up - they stay the same bluey tone all the time.

Powerbulbs pointed me at their blog which has a comparison between the Philips Xtreme and Osram Nightvision. From what I can tell, the comparison has been made from reading the blurbs on the boxes, but it does confirm they are different bulbs to each other (I suspected they may be the same, just rebranded)

https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/201...er-unlimited-philips-xtreme-vision-xenon-gen2

KrisKrk likes this.
  16. KrisKrk

Cool Tony. I'll wait for your opinion on them.

Compare the new bulbs to your old ones. Pictures before and after the replacement will give us an idea of what's your experience, more or less.

Turbo Tony likes this.
  17. Turbo Tony

I'll certainly post back when I get the car back and I'll try to include some pics of the finished result, although I won't be able to do any before pics because the car's already in the garage.

I'm really looking forward to trying them... I hope they're as good as they sound.

KrisKrk likes this.
  18. Bibbym

Bibbym Coffee for life

So after all that , what is the easiest option with regards to changing the yellowy front fogs.

Thanks

19. KrisKrk

Taking the grille out, unscrew 2 or 3 torx bolts, removing the lamp and taking the bulb out.

As easy as 5 minutes of your precious time

20. Bibbym

Bibbym Coffee for life

Grill? All sounds like hard work to me ..haha. What bulbs please matey? No problems as far as the electrics/management warnings are concerned at all?

Ta

21. KrisKrk

22. Bibbym

Bibbym Coffee for life

Thank you.
    What bulbs please?

I cant read back at all those replies.

Regards. Im nit botheres about how bright i just want to rid of the yella oems

23. KrisKrk

H11

Bibbym likes this.
  24. Simon968

Simon968 Registered User

25. Steveredman

26. Simon968

Simon968 Registered User

Thanks, that's not very reassuring :fearscream:

I had to replace one of the lamps when I fitted these as someone had broken all of the lugs off and so the bulb didn't fit properly.
    Were the ones that you took out 55W, or had someone upgraded to 100W versions?

27. Steveredman

I have no idea what power they were, I'll dig them out tomorrow and see what it says on them, I don't think I binned them.

28. KrisKrk

Simon, I wouldn't waste money on those type brand bulbs.
    Add on few more quids and get CBI's. You could get them on offer or sale and would last longer. Not to mention better and brighter light.

29. Simon968

Simon968 Registered User

I only put them in to make the light whiter, that's why I went for cheap bulbs. I rarely use the fogs other than for coming home lights anyway.
    I wouldn't really bother trying to make foglights any brighter as it defeats the object of them. If they are too bright in fog they just bounce all of the light back at you.

30. KrisKrk

As Steve said above, you might need to replace the whole lamps with those cheap bulbs. Better invest in well known brand imho

31. Bibbym

Bibbym Coffee for life

Many thanks