1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

CVT issue - car won't start

Mollygoogle Aug 19, 2020

1. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Registered User

Hi All,

2006 3.0tdi CVT. I drove to the supermarket on Saturday and the car was fine. I came back out to the car and it wouldn't start. The dash lights come on and then nothing, it doesn't even try. I then get the "engage P or N to start" message on the dash. Naturally, it is in P. I removed the ashtray and unlocked the 'box so that I could shift it to N. Once I had done that, I also started getting a handbrake error on the dash as well as the EPB button flashing.

With the 'box unlocked I can change gear without problem. The handbrake works as it should.

The plug to the gearbox has been checked and isn't suffering from any of the corrosion or moisture issues that are indicated online when looking for this fault on Google.

It's getting VAGCOM on it in the morning. It has been on a Snap On device which simply shows a transmission communication error, but not where the error lies.

Any ideas?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

My guess would be the battery or the ignition module. Scan should give more information.

Also are you sure it's a CVT, I'm sure all 3.0TDI in the UK were tiptronic boxes.