CV outer boot clamping tool and torque settings

soulwaffle

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've picked up some febi cv boots to replace the existing ones as the front right has split. Reading up I can see a clamping tool is used. For those that have replaced their CV boots do you use the tool which lets you set the torque settings? If so, what torque settings do you use?

I've done it a few times... Not sure I understand the question. You mean torque for the clamp? Never heard or seen that. You do need a torque wrench for the cv nut and the wishbone nuts and the settings depend on your setup. There are two cv nuts (hex or 12 point IIRC) bot requiring different settings.

Reactions: soulwaffle
I've done it a few times... Not sure I understand the question. You mean torque for the clamp? Never heard or seen that. You do need a torque wrench for the cv nut and the wishbone nuts and the settings depend on your setup. There are two cv nuts (hex or 12 point IIRC) bot requiring different settings.

Thanks for the response. I am talking about the torque settings for the clamp. Sounds a little strange, but you can get a cv boot tool that lets you tighten the clamp to a specified torque setting. I've picked up the febi boot kit and in the manual it states to tighten it to the correct torque settings. Hmm. But, if youve done this before and have never come across this, I may just crimp/tighten it as necessary.

Just crimp it as tight as possible.
Beware though, I bought this kit for both sides and when we tried to fit one side the clamp refused to fit. We were luckily able to re-use the old one with some careful reshaping. Not ideal, but it's held. If you can, remove the old one carefully and keep handy as a back-up plan.

Reactions: soulwaffle and abmat
Appreciate the heads up. I think I will take my time with this, do one side this week and see how I get on.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove