cv joint rant

samisnake

Reaction score
recently had a knocking noise when first moving off or reversing. its like a singular 'donk' noise.
as ive recently had droplinks, topmounts/bearings and springs done, i assumed it was the console bushes on the wishbone.
so i find a pair of lemforder bushes for a price too good to pass up, head down to my mechanic, who lifts up the car and not only finds that the bushes are all fine, but that the ones on the car are the non voided versions which are better.
he test drives it and concludes its the passenger side outer cv joint. no problem, ill order a new joint kit and have him fit it.

turns out vag in their infinite wisdom changed the cv joint on the 2009> models to have 33 internal teeth rather than 30 for some reason, changing the part code from 1k0498099 to 5m0498099. the gearbox side joint is the same, only the wheelside has been changed. https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2011-646/4/407-407032/
the only joints available for the 5m0 version are **** brands (meyle being the best offered), or oem. ive put in a quote request with *** but i have a feeling its gonna be high. cheapest genuine on ebay is £110.
works out more benefinical to just change the whole driveshaft with an skf vkjc 8204 for around £120.
to put that into context, for the 1k0 version i can get a genuine outer cv from an audi dealer online for £50 or an skf for £45.

cars an 11 plate 1.4.
rant over

recently had a knocking noise when first moving off or reversing. its like a singular 'donk' noise.
as ive recently had droplinks, topmounts/bearings and springs done, i assumed it was the console bushes on the wishbone.
so i find a pair of lemforder bushes for a price too good to pass up, head down to my mechanic, who lifts up the car and not only finds that the bushes are all fine, but that the ones on the car are the non voided versions which are better.
he test drives it and concludes its the passenger side outer cv joint. no problem, ill order a new joint kit and have him fit it.

turns out vag in their infinite wisdom changed the cv joint on the 2009> models to have 33 internal teeth rather than 30 for some reason, changing the part code from 1k0498099 to 5m0498099. the gearbox side joint is the same, only the wheelside has been changed. https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2011-646/4/407-407032/
the only joints available for the 5m0 version are **** brands (meyle being the best offered), or oem. ive put in a quote request with *** but i have a feeling its gonna be high. cheapest genuine on ebay is £110.
works out more benefinical to just change the whole driveshaft with an skf vkjc 8204 for around £120.
to put that into context, for the 1k0 version i can get a genuine outer cv from an audi dealer online for £50 or an skf for £45.

cars an 11 plate 1.4.
rant over
one man's miss fortune is another man's good fortune as I might have the same or similar problem and if it is said part I now know the new part number cheer's buddy :thumbs up::thumbs up:

one man's miss fortune is another man's good fortune as I might have the same or similar problem and if it is said part I now know the new part number cheer's buddy :thumbs up::thumbs up:

lol glad it could help.

is yours manual or auto, and whats the engine code? theres a few different part nos depending on your car