CV boot inner

swisstony

Reaction score
Quick question. Whilst fettling about with my front coilovers I noticed another potential MOT failure. Inner CV boot ( gearbox side) on drivers side had lost the retaining clip and I could see grease residue around the shaft ( thats a phrase taht you dont want to say too often :) )
It dosent look split so assume the clip has come off.
Do you think I could get away with packing in some grease and a jubilee clip over it or should I get a brand new boot, grease and clips and do the job properly ?
The only reason I ask as doing a quick search I can see other people have had issues where the part ordered was incorrect and it seems quite a big job

Ideally you want to remove the shaft and boot , give it a good clean and repack with grease, then use the correct clip to secure it tightly.

Reactions: boffin486
The boot is probably well past it now so use a new one.

There a few sizes available so just be sure to double check before ordering.
Ecp are the worse culprits for supplying the wrong ones.

The boot is probably well past it now so use a new one.
I thought as much. I saw a thread back in 2017 where you had to do this job ( think yours was wheel end ) and you had issues with getting the correct part. I didnt want to have the same problem and second question, is it something I could do on my driveway or its a garage job ?

I’ve done it twice and replaced both ends inc the joint.

Very doable at home and there are a few ways to do it , the bad news is that the drivers side is more awkward due to the heat shield above it.
Allow an afternoon to do it without problems.

I am sure you made it look easy as well :)
I assume the two parts I need are somewhere on this diagram as this seems to be the quattro version
Screenshot 2022 11 21 at 121318

Loosening the hub end bolt can be a right pain , make sure you have a long and strong breaker bar and the correct size hex bit.

The boots vary depending on what shaft is fitted.
As your only doing one side you don’t need to mark them as left and right drive shafts are different lengths.

Failing all that the just use a new jubilee clip to secure from any more loss of grease and ingress of dirt and water , not the ideal solution but will do as a stop gap for a while.

Your call really , how you proceed will depend on how long it has been loose and how much grease has been lost .
It gets a lot of wear so needs as much dirt free lubricant as possible.

Your call really , how you proceed will depend on how long it has been loose and how much grease has been lost .
It gets a lot of wear so needs as much dirt free lubricant as possible.
I might whack in some grease and fit a jubilee clip over it and then get the garage to do the job when it is in for its next service which is next year. I think I know my limits on this car when it comes to DIY

Reactions: Charlie Farley
If in doubt then let someone else sort it out is the best plan.

Reactions: swisstony
If in doubt then let someone else sort it out is the best plan.
My son is an apprentice at a local garage and has access to a ton of 2 post lifts so I think it is time to call in a favour from him and get him to the job :) I would like to order the correct part so will search for the correct one

It’s a much easier job with a lift as access from beneath is at a premium

If you ever intend to do work under your car seriously (suspension/brakes/exhaust etc.) I highly recommend getting your own hydraulic lift. They can be had for around the £13 - 1500 mark & I reckon (personally) it's the best investment I have ever made! Working with axle stands/wheel ramps etc is banished to effortlessly getting the car to a comfortable working height. It's paid for itself many many times over in the few years I've had it. :salute:

Good Job Audis can fly

Last edited:
Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
If you ever intend to do work under your car (suspension/brakes/exhaust etc.) I highly recommend getting your own hydraulic lift. They can be had for around the £13 - 1500 mark & I reckon (personally) it's the best investment I have ever made!

View attachment 261412
I would love to do that but my driveway is on a slope so I doubt it would work unless it was uber flat ??? nice lift though, envious

I would love to do that but my driveway is on a slope so I doubt it would work unless it was uber flat ??? nice lift though, envious
Yes, unfortunately it does have to be on a flat solid surface for safety reasons.

Yes I thought so.Could just imagine it tipping over and the lift and car heading down over the road into the field :)

• Wow
I was tempted to buy something similar a couple of years ago but i wasn't won over by the low lift height, I'm 6'3, and id be hunched up all the time working under it.
And I could not get on with the framework stuck in the middle, id be cursing it all the time.
Just me, I think if I was going to invest in a lift it would need to be one that lifts from the sides and not in the middle.
But i can see that it would be really usefull. :icon thumright: