Cutting out the metal sheet behind rear seats. Stupid idea or not?

Reub

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a B6 A4 with fixed rear seats. I would like to be able to remove the backrest of the seats and have full access to the boot from the rear seat area, I had an E90 like this. Would it be a bad idea to completely remove (angle grinder) the metal sheet that separates the main interior and the boot of my A4?

Reasons I've thought of as to why this might be bad:
1. Increased road noise while driving?
2. Reduced rigidity? Some A4s came with folding rear seats so maybe this wouldn't matter and if it did I imagine the difference would be negligible?

Has anyone done this / what do you all think?

Maybe find a set with rear folding would be easier if not tried already?

Maybe find a set with rear folding would be easier if not tried already?
You mean a new car? Or do you mean a set of folding seats? Theres no point putting the folding seats in mine because there's a metal sheet separating the boot from the rest of the car. If you somehow put in folding seats, youd fold them down and just see a sheet of metal in the way.

Ah I thought you meant the seat back itself, thought was slightly bizarre, tbh not sure if cutting it out would affect structural integrity, only way to know is to compare the parts system between your car & another with folding seats, it's really upto you tbh.

Ah just had a thought, client changed his seats around & now I realise the metal plate was just a backrest as I assume you've got a saloon as I recall the rear backrest had no metal backing unlike the Avant, which now is explained by your query.

I think you will be fine to cut it out & fit some folding seats tbh as the seats will come with metal backs that is in place of your panel.

I'm sure it can be unbolted if you find some seats.

Ah I thought you meant the seat back itself, thought was slightly bizarre, tbh not sure if cutting it out would affect structural integrity, only way to know is to compare the parts system between your car & another with folding seats, it's really upto you tbh.

Ah just had a thought, client changed his seats around & now I realise the metal plate was just a backrest as I assume you've got a saloon as I recall the rear backrest had no metal backing unlike the Avant, which now is explained by your query.

I think you will be fine to cut it out & fit some folding seats tbh as the seats will come with metal backs that is in place of your panel.

I'm sure it can be unbolted if you find some seats.
Yes sorry, it's a saloon. That's an important clarification. Do you know if the folding seats fit in without any modifications to the body?