custom turbo conversion ive just completed

Vagworld

Reaction score
i just thought i share some pics of a turbo conversion i completed today on a 2000 audi a3 110bhp tdi, the car covers 2-3k a month so has to be super reliable, it should be going on the dyno at some point this week to get an Art Of Speed cusom map, it pulls very well and spool up is quicker then i expected. we was not going for big numbers on this one just a big phat load of torque lol aiming for around 200bhp give or take a bit, were not running a fuel pump (supply) or fmic yet ( starting on those very soon). i will up load some videos as soon i get some decent ones. let me no what you think.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Still though Dave its good to see something different.I know f all about diesel so this would be interesting.looking forward to seeing the progress

i am very interested in this - i plan to buy a golf tdi 130 in the next month or so

a 200 bhp tdi will be making 150 of that at about 1900 rpm

200bhp, loads of torque and probably returns at least 40mpg driven spiritedly, exactly what you need if you're doing 36k a year.

Very interesting, please keep us updated.

Also, it's got orange bits on it, which instantly makes it cooler than any Sans Orange S3!!!!

Yes yes and yes, about ****** time someone put some mods on for a oil burner.

Nice work, where have you had that pipe work from, is it a standard kit ??

Please tell us more, unlike most S3 heads on here this raises much interest for us smoke chuckers, details details details ?????

petrol cars feel flat as a fart after a tuned Diesel
even S3's ;)

Simply not true in any relative context!

A standard S3 will feel flat after a tuned diesel yes, but that's because a standard S3 is about as inspiring as washing dishes.

throw similar money at each, and I defy the soot chucker to compare to the petrol.

I'm not against tdi tuning at all, I think it's cool, but it'll never replace petrol for me.

Reactions: Benjiman46
I think you will find that there is a lot of tuned dervs out there, there's certainly a lot of info about on hybrid turbos and well over 200bhp from the 1.9 vag unit. Just not many people spend the money on their tdi A3's!

Yes yes and yes, about ****** time someone put some mods on for a oil burner.

Nice work, where have you had that pipe work from, is it a standard kit ??

Please tell us more, unlike most S3 heads on here this raises much interest for us smoke chuckers, details details details ?????

petrol cars feel flat as a fart after a tuned Diesel
even S3's ;)

I find the opposite true. Yes the derv has bags of torque low down giving you a nice easy to drive car around down, however when you floor it you get this surge and think "Oh here we go!" then you realise thats it, it doesnt have any more, its not going to keep pulling and your jammed against the governor going nowhere. The power delivery is horrible.

Prawn hit the nail on the head. Compare the money spent on the derv above, and do the same thing to a petrol, and the petrol WILL be the better performing car.

yes ugraded injectors are needed, currently running .240s but may need to upgrade again.

the pipe work has mostly been custom made buy a local machine shop who has a pipe bender, we give them the specs and they make them for us.

inlet manifold is from a pd150 arl engine.

yes there are loads of 200+ 1.9 tdis but im sure you will find that most of them are the later pd engines no the VE style of the afn, there is alot more thinking to do regarding the fuelling side of things to brake over 200bhp, pd's are easy to do as we have done quite a few now between 200-240bhp, heres a vid of one of them which is such a fun car to drive.

vagworlds ibiza pd130 with launch control and custom rev limit - YouTube

as for the gear change and lack of power up top, i can only assume the tdi's you have driven have had generic remaps, most of our cars (pd's and ve's) will pull hard to there redline which is usually set around 5.5k (5.8k in some cases) were as stock and poorly maped cars with die out around 4-4.5k and your forever changing gear.

prawn i love driving my s3 but something inside makes me want a fast tdi over it lol, next time at ace we will have to meet up and il take you out for a drive in one of the quick tdi's maybe i can sway you to the dark side lol

That vid is wkd, is that the S3 its up against?

I knew that would be custom made pipe work, looks really nice.

If you fit the pd150 manifold, is the anything else you need to change, a bit of a virgin when it comes to the TDI's.

To be fair, it's good to see someone doing some useful tuning to a dervo. Interested to see what the output will be like and the way she delivers.

I'm sure I raced that Ibiza in your link at Inters Chris!

it hasnt been to inters yet, pod once but ran a poor 14.5 as it had been raining all morning
it should be good for a sub 14 run

So all the black piping is hand made from metal tubing???

Can the PD manifold just be fitted straight onto the AHF engine, or is the more involved, and what gains would you get from just replacing the manifold??

Missed second gear my ****, youll hae bin burning the fronts out due to the lack of fake 4wd like our s3's :) haha

Lmao, nar just bored mate. Plus weve only got you to bite back, what with jardo jumping ship.

So all the black piping is hand made from metal tubing???

Can the PD manifold just be fitted straight onto the AHF engine, or is the more involved, and what gains would you get from just replacing the manifold??

most of it was hand made some parts are vag, the manifold will bolt straight onto your engine, the inlet pipe is a different size so you will need a pd130/150 egr or delete pipe, i have not done any back to back dyno tests to prove how much you will gain from using the pd manifold but you can visibly see how much better the flow is on the pd manifold over the older style log type, the stock intake track is quite restrictive.

yes there are loads of 200+ 1.9 tdis but im sure you will find that most of them are the later pd engines no the VE style of the afn, there is alot more thinking to do regarding the fuelling side of things to brake over 200bhp, pd's are easy to do as we have done quite a few now between 200-240bhp, heres a vid of one of them which is such a fun car to drive.

vagworlds ibiza pd130 with launch control and custom rev limit - YouTube

cant see the second bit for black smoke lol, i loved my tdi sport a3 many moons ago

most of it was hand made some parts are vag, the manifold will bolt straight onto your engine, the inlet pipe is a different size so you will need a pd130/150 egr or delete pipe, i have not done any back to back dyno tests to prove how much you will gain from using the pd manifold but you can visibly see how much better the flow is on the pd manifold over the older style log type, the stock intake track is quite restrictive.

Nice 1 will be defo purchasing one of those soon then. Gotta start some where

Turbo looks like one from a 180bhp v6 TDI. I've got one kicking around at my workshop. Unfortunately with these you can't really make the turbine any bigger as the vnt is set at one size but the compressor housing is big enough for a gt22 or gt25 compressor so should be good for 220bhp.