Custom steering wheel replacement

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
After a while on my "to-do" list, finally got it ordered, made, delivered and bow fitted.

Contacted royalsteeringwheels with required custom steering wheel I'm after and got the quote.
Discussed rest if the details and placed the order.
They were an a break so it took them just over 2 weeks to finish the wheel and ship out

Unfortunately, they made it to their standards, not to my original request, which they forgot about.
Week of email exchange and phone calls for them to finally admit, their fault and agreed to re-do the wheel.

It came back just before they decided to close down.

Wheel is custom made with flat bottom bit, covered with perforated leather at the top and sides. Charcoal alcantara covers flat bottom bit.
Seams are like hour marks in the clock, not straight/horisontal, like they did originally.
Just like that way better.
Red stitching toos it all up nicely.

As an exchange wheel (ordered custom and send them back mine after replacement) it set me back £320 but £100 is a refundable deposit so it will be £220.
Tenner was also a shipping fee on top of that.

Ordered also gear gaitor in alcantara match the wheel @ £40.

To the replacement:

With engine running, turn the wheel sideways to reveal screw caps at the back if the wheel (forgot to take picture of them properly)
Remove them both. Just push them back
Removed the Sline badge.

At this point, I have unplugged negative terminal of the battery, to be safe.
Spanner size 10.

With screws uncovered, T30 unscrews them both. Screws should stay in the wheel but may pop out.
You can now pull the airbag.
Lead to it is short but you can put it aside to have more access to the yellow connector.
That yellow connector have a pink tab which you need to pull to you.
Pull the black one apart also. With this one, remember to lay it flat at the back of the wheel, when reassemble it.

Steering wheel controls just slide to the centre of the wheel and their wire easily pulled out, once internal surround frame is pulled out.

T55 to unscrew the steering wheel holding bolt but before you do that, mark the steering wheel column to put it back together in the same groves.

Now the steering wheel can be just pulled out and replaced.

New wheel fitted and all back together in reverse order.

Before the airbag install, I've checked it around and found horn wire slightly bend.
That will require more force or bigger slap on the airbag to sound the horn.
Bend it back to straight and popped back in.
Makes the difference.

Big difference in interior appearance with that wheel in.
Still got the slight glue whiff of the wheel in the car but it will go away soon.
881dcc6fc44807d5241b66cba762a3bc.jpg
d91417e5e248bc51ea88e8f03610b36e.jpg
3186c72e4f98f98cf785055e626d4efa.jpg
464fa14514976b99510ec6931a5ba1db.jpg
f25d9867e899c2da4208be1c0e689ab8.jpg
d0b3d6a766f4beea40cf9aa78ec2b2d5.jpg
4a06ba88a28366039673c460dfc25f0e.jpg
a0a582189819348511e01efeb090c392.jpg
468d07981c7f141093fefe895b2a6776.jpg
5982891d32127338d8d37a707636f973.jpg
0006eb958d1902a527a26d999ccc749b.jpg
35ca6ef224609df1af1d6d3e8e739668.jpg
c83b35eac88ed7dfefeea7eede6225a1.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Nitro_CR, daytonamart, THQuattro and 2 others
Looks great. Thanks for the write up. I'm too scared to try that myself haha

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk
Looks great. Thanks for the write up. I'm too scared to try that myself haha

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Don't be. So was I but made it

Sent from H P20 PRO

Steering wheel looks good. Excellent write up. Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Day pic
2b57563e65d5382a6703bfdb2a26a51d.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: daytonamart, Novica and THQuattro
I have noticed that you keep seat heating but A/C is off, why?

I have noticed that you keep seat heating but A/C is off, why?

Is that bad for me or the car somehow?

I don't use A/C during the winter at all. Just heater, which take long to warm up in lower temperatures.

With outside temp closer to 0, have to wait for the engine to get 90deg C and drive it for a bit to switch on the heating. If I don't, coolant temp will drop.

Don't have long distances to work and back home so prefer to warm up the engine as it should, especially in shorter journeys as supposed to get cosy.
At least by bum gets warm with seat heating on.
Just today I have switched it off actually

Sent from H P20 PRO

Is that bad for me or the car somehow?

I don't use A/C during the winter at all. Just heater, which take long to warm up in lower temperatures.

With outside temp closer to 0, have to wait for the engine to get 90deg C and drive it for a bit to switch on the heating. If I don't, coolant temp will drop.

Don't have long distances to work and back home so prefer to warm up the engine as it should, especially in shorter journeys as supposed to get cosy.
At least by bum gets warm with seat heating on.
Just today I have switched it off actually

Sent from H P20 PRO
I know that these engines are sensitive to outside temperature. I am keeping my aircondition always on. In cold winters the engine did not reach its working temperature as my work is in 5km far away. But, heating starts very soon in less than 1 km as it use electrical heater. From other side it is better for air conditioning compressor to work when there is need for it even during winter time in that way you will prolonge its life.

I know that these engines are sensitive to outside temperature. I am keeping my aircondition always on. In cold winters the engine did not reach its working temperature as my work is in 5km far away. But, heating starts very soon in less than 1 km as it use electrical heater. From other side it is better for air conditioning compressor to work when there is need for it even during winter time in that way you will prolonge its life.

Good to know that. Thank you for the tip.
Will try it next winter.

That electric heater is blowing hot air during low temperatures outside but for some reason, drops coolant temp, if hasn't reached 90 yet.
Don't know why but figured that out some time ago and it keeps on happening.

I'm in the same boat, mate. Work 7miles away from home and sometime manage to past 5th mile with engine just reaching 90 and turning heating on at the last mile.

Was thinking about those electric pre heating pads with remote.
Stick'em on the bottom of the engine and you can switch it remotely before you get to the car. It should warm it up and when you drive off, reach 90deg faster.
All wired through fuse and relay so you don't overheat the engine.
Seen it on aliexpress from China and don't know how reliable that would be:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BUkphT

Sent from H P20 PRO