Custom /rs4 instrument cluster inlay?

Nozrul Islam

Reaction score
Hi all, I hate the instrument cluster as the font is far too boring looking, speed shown km/h is unnecessary.

I love the font of the s4 or rs4 instrument panel.

My question has anyone done this mod to the s4 or rs4 or even a custom version you can choose ... I searched for a while but cannot find nothing.

Attachments

• 20161001_115001.jpg
    20161001_115001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 550
you need to change the date aswell chap, 10.02.2005 , what are you like.... haha

Good spot, but I disconnected the battery yesterday to mount the new steering wheel and all has resetted and have not bothered today to fix this as next weekend I'll hopefully be doing the C/H L/H mod and it'll reset again. This coming week car is not going to be used! Ha Ha!!

Anyway what are my options?

Get it upgraded to a colour DIS as they are so much better....

237d7772.jpg

BTW this isn't mine.....

Reactions: GDCAUDIA4B7 and Charlie Farley
Yes mate, seen this someone upgraded the LEDs TBH I like the oem colour but just not the font. I also like the RS4 /S4 logo in the rev counter, I don't think there are any options, and I might look into getting the S4 one and place a "S" sticker to cover the S4 logo in the rev counter otherwise I'll get confused and try to drive it like a S4! Though I'm not sure if the dial marking would be on the exact place otherwise I could be doing what looks to be one speed and actually being driven at another as well as the warning logos if you know what I mean?

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Get it upgraded to a colour DIS as they are so much better....

237d7772.jpg

BTW this isn't mine.....

I like that carl, but if I had that mod i'd probably spend more time looking at the dash than in front and end up having a prang..lol

Reactions: martin1984
Not cheap but get a VFIZ and you can programme it to show loads of things, loads of videos on YouTube.

Here's an S Line one with needle sweep,

Blimey for that money I can live with my standard display but had it been under £100, I'd may considered it.
:smug:

you should have realised by now nozrul that audi ownership is not a cheap affair, and that applies to oem parts and kit aswell as aftermarket products....anything with the word audi in it equates to expense.

Last edited:
I have changed the LED's on my A4 before.
Full days of work :) but doable.
Rs4 is practically the same panel.
cd0a5227ffa31e6a93e794c12c3e645f.jpg
before
13fb049507634ef9c4c6b9ce4753aaca.jpg
progress
0361179108c73e0974c23f069fc5a0f9.jpg

After

Reactions: Sumner, mister.c., martin1984 and 1 other person
Yes Rob indeed it is rather expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for and that includes a contribution towards the brand of the total price I guess?

Pule333 are you sure the RS4 is the same as our one? Are you u talking about the above link I posted or the OEM RS4 panel?

If OEM panel fits then maybe I'd look for that, that maybe cheaper than the £60 this lot are asking for.

Not cheap but get a VFIZ and you can programme it to show loads of things, loads of videos on YouTube.

Here's an S Line one with needle sweep,

I looked into this last year when I got the car and I think it's come down in price a little......but the money can be spent elsewhere!

I have changed the LED's on my A4 before.
Full days of work :) but doable.
Rs4 is practically the same panel.
cd0a5227ffa31e6a93e794c12c3e645f.jpg
before
13fb049507634ef9c4c6b9ce4753aaca.jpg
progress
0361179108c73e0974c23f069fc5a0f9.jpg

After
Hi by any chance do you have the link for the led's? Really want to do this!

you need to change the date aswell chap, 10.02.2005 , what are you like.... haha

just going back to the date thing chap, I found out today that the date reverts back to the cars date of manufacture when the battery is disconnected.
I removed both my front seats yesterday to give under the seats and the runners etc a good clean and thought i'd play safe and disconnect the battery just incase the airbags went on the blink, anyway after I had finished and hooked the battery back up I noticed the date had reset as per normal, the date was 02.11.2006 , so when I looked in the car paper work it was 2 weeks before the car was delivered from the factory, so must be a deffo link between the stored date and the manufactured date.
just a bit of useless info for future ref....

Hi by any chance do you have the link for the led's? Really want to do this!

I think this are the ones.
Basically they are surface mounted PLCC2 smd/led's. try and find best quality ones in the colour of you choice. Also get a few extras, this suckers are very very small and quite easy to **** up the connections so plenty of spares is a good thing ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261303433995

Actually just found the original post I used for my inspiration ;)
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/422098-Cluster-Dial-Color-Change

Go nuts!

Great if you have an rs not so great if you don't
I am more interested in the font than the RS logo, having closer look its not exactly the same font as the RS4 either plus the speed markers don't look to be on the same position.

I am not interested in coloured leds etc so for me this instrument cluster project is officially off! Thank God that's one less thing for me to worry about.

so now that's off the menu chap, what's next on the ever increasing todo list.

I swapped my red DIS cluster for a colour s4, then changed to sirocco R line needles

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 737
Very nice Benny, did you buy a whole new cluster or just the inlay and the needle where from mate?

Mine had bit of dust inside so I took it out and gave it a good clean and also a DIY S sticker too!
20161008 192533

get the S smaller and central under the needle and that would be perfect.

Everything has to be perfect with me and although it looks much better than the photo it's far far from perfect, I tried to make it smaller but kept messing it up and sort of settled for a bodge up job but only for temporarily as I might take it off.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you remove the cluster? I'd be interested to know if it's easy as i too am fussy and mine has some very minor scratches on the cover which only I would know are there, but want sorting

Last edited:
Mine too had minor scratches, I used Meguiars 205 Polish and most of it has gone.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
looks trendy, i'm almost temped again, but i'm color blind so it may well be pink with green needles....nice all the same

Reactions: Dani_B19
looks trendy, i'm almost temped again, but i'm color blind so it may well be pink with green needles....nice all the same
What colours do you see on those dials ? :grimacing:

This explains why you always insist you have a black car then :tongueclosed:

Reactions: carlcall
haha , multicolored swap shop steve.....
when I was a wee lad I had an eye checkup , they gave me a book full of colored images with specific letters/words etc in the pattern, I couldn't see ****** all frankly....haha

I'lI see you, and raise you a bad case of dyslexia!

Very nice Benny, did you buy a whole new cluster or just the inlay and the needle where from mate?

Mine had bit of dust inside so I took it out and gave it a good clean and also a DIY S sticker too!
View attachment 106165

Its a proper s4 cluster :) I have the tools to swap them and re-code the immo and correct mileage, so was easier to just swap the cluster. Needles were from eBay

Rob: Carpal tunnel I guess that's from motorbikes!

Benny very nice indeed, as much as I like the fonts on the S4 /RS4 cluster the inlay cannot be bought on it's own without buying the whole cluster and that is way too expensive so it's a no go for me!