custom remap ? over generic tune revo/apr

In Germany i have never heard that someone has this kind of problem with the pistons. But I can only say that about the people which are in a forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not cloak and dagger, its just that i cant just come out and say something bold because i will be shot down in flames by a few companies and attract the wrong sort of attention.

Tin foil hats everyone......

There seems to be a serious weakness in the pistons used in the EA888, they can crack and fall to pieces.
Now it can happen to anyone tuned or stock, it was looking like one tuner in particular was causing cylinder 3 or 4 to crack lowering compression significantly to cause misfires. But now I have seen cases on bone stock motors.

The cracking tends to happen on the piston edge and sometimes it is so minor it will only drop compression by half a bar, you wouldn't even realise its happened, the car will drive and perform glitch free for thousands of miles or maybe just ten before it 'goes' and requires a rebuild.

Its looking like VW are aware of the problem but in typical big manufacturer style ignoring it, the cynic in me believes this because they have got such a wide compression threshold for when they deem the engine requires a rebuild. So they wont touch it until the engine completely chews itself, this is because it might just last long enough to be outside of warranty.

So what do we do?

I suggest everyone worried does a compression test, if cylinder 3 or 4 are showing to be half a bar or less than the others.... shoot me a PM
Why is it only 3 and 4?
I have no idea, but i have seen about a dozen cases now and they have all been 3 and 4... mostly 4.

So there you go flame me down, call me paranoid or take the mickey because i used a science class term from saying newton-metres (i prefer ft-lbs btw)

Are you aware of this @Daveheson

Reactions: Daveheson
So if your looking at getting a VW Golf GTI Clubsport with the same EA888 engine are you not worried again? @Dandanfings

Where have you collected your information from?

Has your S3 got that problem now ?

Are you aware of this @Daveheson
Yes mike I'm well aware of this issue in some cars. I howeverhttps://www.facebook.com/UNILADTech/videos/1776717752605938/ am going to the next step so I don't need to worry about this issue. With the power I'm running in my car it's was definitely a concern. However not a concern for me now. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeParkin, xpoweruk and RedRS3Reilly
Any company's who do a custom remap around Glasgow area?

One thing I don't get is everyone bangs on about custom vs generic! What do you think the original files are? Custom for every car? Lol, nope! It is well documented that the ecu has huge control on boost, timing and Fuel and adjusts on the fly to keep things in check. A good generic is no different to the standard OEM file in terms of reliability, power etc, lets not forget that.

As revo has rightly pointed out their tune they apply is specific to the ecu hw and sw ID so this is absolutely no different to OEM file from factory, so come on guys let's all get over this and enjoy our cars.

Again I agree a lot of people talking a load of **** in this thread.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pez81, pat15312, MikeParkin and 1 other person
Whilst that is true, the principle of remapping a car on standard hardware is to work to much tighter tolerances than the OEM is doing, which can be done to very good effect when you are working on an individual car basis.

Rick

Its not cloak and dagger, its just that i cant just come out and say something bold because i will be shot down in flames by a few companies and attract the wrong sort of attention.

Tin foil hats everyone......

There seems to be a serious weakness in the pistons used in the EA888, they can crack and fall to pieces.
Now it can happen to anyone tuned or stock, it was looking like one tuner in particular was causing cylinder 3 or 4 to crack lowering compression significantly to cause misfires. But now I have seen cases on bone stock motors.

The cracking tends to happen on the piston edge and sometimes it is so minor it will only drop compression by half a bar, you wouldn't even realise its happened, the car will drive and perform glitch free for thousands of miles or maybe just ten before it 'goes' and requires a rebuild.

Its looking like VW are aware of the problem but in typical big manufacturer style ignoring it, the cynic in me believes this because they have got such a wide compression threshold for when they deem the engine requires a rebuild. So they wont touch it until the engine completely chews itself, this is because it might just last long enough to be outside of warranty.

So what do we do?

I suggest everyone worried does a compression test, if cylinder 3 or 4 are showing to be half a bar or less than the others.... shoot me a PM
Why is it only 3 and 4?
I have no idea, but i have seen about a dozen cases now and they have all been 3 and 4... mostly 4.

So there you go flame me down, call me paranoid or take the mickey because i used a science class term from saying newton-metres (i prefer ft-lbs btw)

Hey it's a 2.0l 4 pot and you're surprised they're blowing up after 500bhp? I saw that big turbo build MRC that blew, poor guy. I love the tuning community but you gotta have balls to be able to take a £30k car tune it way beyond what it was ever meant to push out and then when it blows be very casual and say 'good bye stock engine' i couldn't do it. Why push them so far on stock rods, pistons, internals surely 400bhp in a small hatch is enough? I know it's addictive to have the highest power and big numbers but what about drivability, how does your S3 drive daily? Do you find when its not in boost its a pain? I couldn't be ***** with chasing boost personally. Your car looks nice btw and i do enjoy your videos but i don't think custom means best every time. In some cases may be but these 'off the shelf' tunes from APR etc have had a lot of money spent on them so i don't think they can be considered **** or not as good. Hey MRC rock i agree but look at APR in the 4.0t market in the US they have the fastest cars in the world I believe. Even MRC don't come close. It's horses for courses. I do enjoy reading these threads. I take it if your car is going to the US a tuner or hardware company is shipping it for you for some promo stuff. Nice work

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68