Custom front-mount intercooler.

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After some pointers and advice on this one if possible!

I have traced two oil leaks back to my intercoolers on the 2.5TDi o_O - pressure tested them and found them to be split from where the core meets the plastic end caps.

I have taken a look for replacements - they seem to be quite expensive, plus I fear they may split again due to the car running higher than standard boost pressure.
Used intercoolers seem to be few and far betweeen also.

As I had the front of the car dismantled yesterday I figured it may be best to go along the route of a front-mounted intercooler.
I have seen a few universal kits on ebay with a selection of pipework, but unsure as to how good the quality is, I am thinking of finding a fabricators and supplying them with measurements, pictures and dimensions to see what they can do.

Before I do so, I have never had an intercooler fabricated before, is it difficult work on the 2.5TDi B6?
I fitted a forge intercooler to my Ibiza cupra years ago, but that was an out of the box kit.

i think i have a pair from my dtm that should fit depending on connections you can have for cheap

i think i have a pair from my dtm that should fit depending on connections you can have for cheap

Thanks for the offer - there are a lot of variations! I did manage to get hold of one from a B7 2.5TDi - intercooler was pretty much the same but with a number of slight differences that made it impossible to fit!
The TFSi coolers will be very different.

You might be able to fit a 1.8T passat intercooler, however it's not an easy task and you may need a selection of bends and couplers... I wish you were closer to N. London, i could build you a FMIC pretty easily ! Got welding gear and a decent kitted garage...

I'm in the process of doing the same on my 1.9tdi I have just bought a Toyo sports cooler and will be mounting this up first then me and my mate are gona use some 2.5 inch stainless tubing and fab the pipes to fit. I imported a bead roller from America to make sure the ends would not blow off as I could not find anything in this country lol.