Custom Exhaust for A5. Danmar Custom or Tony Banks Custom?

Foyaz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I've currently got a 2009 Audi A5 2.0 tfsi 211 and I am looking at getting a little more sound out of it.

Not bothered about performance gains as long as it doesn't have any negative effects on the vehicle.

I have looked at all sorts, the armytrix exhaust has the best sounding note for me, deep, aggressive and those POPS!... But its over £3k which just ain't happening.

I'm really after the cheapest option for decent sound output without damaging the life of the car. No boy racer sound, no RS5, I know my car will never be that, just a little bit sportier because at the moments there's nothing!

I am located in Greater Manchester and have gone through LOADS of custom exhaust makers around the North West. I have narrowed it down to 2 who have good reviews and very competitively priced.

Initially I was looking for just a back box, but then they both suggested a full system would be better sound and performance wise and it wasn't that much more than the back box. was hoping to spend no more than £150 which I quickly came to realise was nothing more than a dream :D.

Danmar Customs are by far the cheapest, back box is £180 and £280 for a cat back with choice of tail pipes which sounds amazing. I was skeptical straight away to find out how they can be so cheap. I went through reviews, messaged a tonne of facebook users who have had their cars done and of course spoke to Kenny who works there. All the customers were happy with the work done with the exception of one review of a Clio which showed a VERY poor welding job. However this was from 8 years ago, everyone else has vouched for the workmanship and say they have had no issues. Fair enough then.

Next is Tony Banks Custom, these guys were very cheap too but little bit more than Danmar. They quoted £340 for the catback, forgot how much it was for the back box but it was dearer than Danmar as well. But they have a much better review from customers overall as people seem to rave about them. I had to call them up, spoke to Tony who was a bit abrupt but probably because they are quite busy (benefit of the doubt). What sort of pushed me away a little bit is that when I told him about the other prices I found, he was like 'Well are they T304!?'. I just replied, yes I'm sure they used the bet grade steel too. Again, Tony was like but is it T-3-0-4. At this point I said I'll check and Tony said 'if you want to go with the cheap option then go with them, we use the best grade steel'. That was the end of that conversation.

So I went back on to Danmar's website and sure enough, they use 304 grade steel too. Now at the moment I'm leaning towards Danmar, not only are they cheaper, but Kenny was SO much nicer to speak to. He took his time on the phone to answer my questions (yes I'm that annoying overly cautious type of customer that asks too many questions lol). He put my mind at ease basically, and for that I feel that he deserves my business. plus a nice £60 in savings is never a bad thing :p.

Just wanted to know has anyone else had experience with either of these companies and what their advice would be?

Sorry for the long post, thank in advance for any feedback.

To make things a little more complicated, got a call back from Rye Motors who are also in Wigan. £330 full cat back system, lifetime warranty, take it back for any issues no questions asked.

Spoke to Steve, seemed like a cheery fellow. He answered my concerns and I also told him how I wasn't sure how the exhaust would sound so I'd like to tweak it to my taste. He suggested that once they remove the factory exhaust, he would let me hear the engine as he adds the new exhaust system and I can tweak things as I go along. Now that's brilliant service.

The icing on the cake was looking at their facebook profile and seeing the cars that they work with. Strictly beasts, so there's definitely some customer confidence.

Cant seem to find any reviews about them though, anyone have any experience?

Looks like me £150 budget has been completely blown out of the water haha! :D

No experience with any of these companies anyone???

Hi, don't think I have.

I've been to Rye motors and have pretty much agreed on a system to be installed next weekend.

However, it is using a 2.25" diameter pipe. I'm not sure what the stock exhaust diameter size is on the a5 but will I be fine with the 2.25" or do I need to take it up to a 2.5"?

The guy I spoke to said that I'll be fine with the 2.25 as the bigger diameter is for cars with much more horse power. He even showed me the power flow exhaust on his own car running the same size pipe and the sound was decent as it was a diesel.

I'm after a deep sport sound but I don't want to cause too much back pressure and lose power. Will the 2.25 be enough? My car is stock atm, should be 211bhp, but I'm also considering a remap in the future to take it to the mid 200's.

Can anyone please advise me on the exhaust diameter sizes. Thanks.

Speak to Nige or Dave at BCS.
Oh yeah I have spoke to BCS, I remember speaking to Nige. Their prices was way too steep, got quoted around £300 just for the back box and over £800 for a cat back.

And that was with 'discount' because they haven't done a system for the a5 before, so they would borrow my car for development which is why he lowered the price. But at £800 for the cat back, it was just way too much.

Hi probs a little too late now but Iv had 3 systems from tony banks now, a simple cat back. And two turbo back exhausts one with decat on my old ep3 civic turbo and then a downpipe on my S3 all of them faultless! Had the down pipe built to replace a miltek and it is a much better product, lifetime warranty and you can always take it back for the sound tweaking if you are unsure of it