Custom code

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
I think i have made my mind up.....want a remap that is smooth and isnt too aggressive on the standard S3....im not going to change anything else other than this......

Whats everyones opinions of custom code.....

Ive had a chat with them and all seems fine....just wanted to put the question out there to get closure on the decision.

Thanks

Tim

i have custom-code on my a3 turbo and im very pleased! and never heard anything bad about them! also a nicely discounted upgrade path incase u decide you want more in the future.

josh

I've got a CC1 on my 225hp BAM MY02 S3 at 150k.

Had to have the ECU sent off to CC to have it done back In december but it was well worth the wait.

Reason: Tried the REVO trial and found it too agressive for my liking, a lot of fun but a bit too much. MTM/APR/AMD/Superchips/Jabba/MRC and the rest were bantered about. However trying to find on round here was tough so in the end I went for the CC as it was more local!

Performance: It takes off very well when you hit 3-3.5k and progressivly builds up the range. It is very smooth between shifts up and down and is a joy in 4th as it really does pull like a train. The torque does last all the way round and does help out in 6th. They reckon you get a about 20% increase so 260-270hp and 240-250lb/ft; I have to say it does now feel very quick and Porsche baiting has been quite amusing!

Fuel consumption: Hasn't been as bad as I thought. I mostly do B-Road driving plus motorways and the occasionaly A-Road. I give it a blast here and there probably 30% of the time but mostly just cruising. I get 28mpg before the remap it was 30mpg. Admittedly when I first got the remap it average 22mpg!!!

Problems since remap: Only one which is where I get a vag.com error of a boost leak somewhere; christ knows where as I have checked everything but thats another story. I have changed the MAF to a new one, cleaned the throttle body and have a spare set of coilpacks in the boot just in case, next is to change the DV then the N249 if the problem persists, in all cases the price for the part isn't too bad and the time to sort it isn't too long.

Mods: I have Samco TIP and Upper boost hoses which I think do help with the airflow. Have a standard DV and AirFilter which I will keep the same and will replace on a regular basis.

Advice: Need better brakes!!! I have had a few 'moments' that would have benefited with better brakes, I take heed from JoJo and 'Brake earlier!'

Cost: £380+VAT

Insurance: addtional £93.50 with Privilige

Others: Looking on the site and reading a post by Aky, you are able to download some software from CC website. This allows you to play with the parameters of the remap. I have downloaded it and yet to anything with as I am not totally sure of the consequeneces apart from fecking the engine up which no doubt I will probably do!

Eitherway getting a remap was the best thing I have done to the S3; just wish I did it sooner!!

Good luck

i joined the custom code gang this weekend and it does make the S3 feel a whole lot more fun.

to drive it reminds me much more of my old impreza turbo now.

The boys from custom code were very effecient and came to my house to do the remap on a saturday at no extra cost!

Go look at the custom code section in the forums section and you will se my original posts in there as they are doing i think 30% discount (i think) till the end of this month so i got a forge 007P and a green panel filter all fitted along with the remap for £433 inc VAT.

well worth it IMHO

custom code is discounted till end of jan isnt it?
i had cc phase 3 on my ihi golf, never had any troubles with it

jesters3 said:
I've got a CC1 on my 225hp BAM MY02 S3 at 150k.

Had to have the ECU sent off to CC to have it done back In december but it was well worth the wait.

Reason: Tried the REVO trial and found it too agressive for my liking, a lot of fun but a bit too much. MTM/APR/AMD/Superchips/Jabba/MRC and the rest were bantered about. However trying to find on round here was tough so in the end I went for the CC as it was more local!

Performance: It takes off very well when you hit 3-3.5k and progressivly builds up the range. It is very smooth between shifts up and down and is a joy in 4th as it really does pull like a train. The torque does last all the way round and does help out in 6th. They reckon you get a about 20% increase so 260-270hp and 240-250lb/ft; I have to say it does now feel very quick and Porsche baiting has been quite amusing!

Fuel consumption: Hasn't been as bad as I thought. I mostly do B-Road driving plus motorways and the occasionaly A-Road. I give it a blast here and there probably 30% of the time but mostly just cruising. I get 28mpg before the remap it was 30mpg. Admittedly when I first got the remap it average 22mpg!!!

Problems since remap: Only one which is where I get a vag.com error of a boost leak somewhere; christ knows where as I have checked everything but thats another story. I have changed the MAF to a new one, cleaned the throttle body and have a spare set of coilpacks in the boot just in case, next is to change the DV then the N249 if the problem persists, in all cases the price for the part isn't too bad and the time to sort it isn't too long.

Mods: I have Samco TIP and Upper boost hoses which I think do help with the airflow. Have a standard DV and AirFilter which I will keep the same and will replace on a regular basis.

Advice: Need better brakes!!! I have had a few 'moments' that would have benefited with better brakes, I take heed from JoJo and 'Brake earlier!'

Cost: £380+VAT

Insurance: addtional £93.50 with Privilige

Others: Looking on the site and reading a post by Aky, you are able to download some software from CC website. This allows you to play with the parameters of the remap. I have downloaded it and yet to anything with as I am not totally sure of the consequeneces apart from fecking the engine up which no doubt I will probably do!

Eitherway getting a remap was the best thing I have done to the S3; just wish I did it sooner!!

Good luck

Thanks fellas, particularly Jester, thats given me a good insight into this move. Will definately do it , got insurance quote of an extra £79 from flux....but gonna try barter that down..... unsure if i want to do the Dv straight away as having a few major parts replaced at end of month, water pump, cam belt etc etc...bit costly and doing house reno that takes most of my mulllar:sadlike:

Bob, i spoke to Lee from Chesterfield, mentioned that he'd been to yours and you were pleased with the result...... nobody from what i can see has a bad word to say.......:salute:

Tim

It ****** me off because I'm looking for phase 2 now (wish i'd had it from the start). The intercoolers will work ok and the cats aren't really restrictive however I only get 40% discount on RRP. I know thats sales but they haven't really thought about existing customers. I'm going to see what they can do if I book it in tomorrow.

Rant over!

Anyway you'll love the remap - I had mine done within 2 weeks of getting the car and its the best £400 I had ever spent! (Apart from the mail order wife of course)

Aky......unsure as to whether you can go straight to phase 2? can you.......

Tim

1animal1 said:
Aky......unsure as to whether you can go straight to phase 2? can you.......

Tim

No reason why not. They recommend you have sports cats, exhaust, FMIC and a panel filter/induction kit but this is only to extract maximum power.

Lets face it - Cats (as reviewed by Essthree) absolute ********, no power increases etc etc.

FMIC - will be able to run more boost due to lower temps but I reckon if you get some pipe work sorted between the intercoolers that should help.

Panel filter/induction kit - no comment

Cat back exhaust - not sure, not had one fitted but taking out the OEM middle silencer and squashed piece of piping leading to the back box should help flow. (get my Supersprint on Saturday)

Phase 2 is basically a live map. They sit in the car whilst you drive on the roads and set the car up to suit your driving style/requirements.

I may be talking absolute cr@p so feel free to give your comments.

im guessing fella TBH

although the 'live' map sounds loads better........ not that bothered about anything else though, remap is as far as i think ill go with this car...... at 80k on the clock im nervous at just doing that.

I see where your coming from but a live map (phase 2) will be setup for all your cars characteristics rather that a generic map (phase 1) which is for every Tom, **** and Harry's S3. I hope this explains things better. If you do decide to go down Phase 2 let me know. I'll see whether I can blag them for a 2 4 1 deal

Plus you get more power out of phase 2 than 1. :eyebrows:
Thats a good enough reason for me!

just looked at price for phase two, its 480 + vat :ohmy:

not cheap is it ...

so to save me the maths, whats 480 + vat -30% :s?

haha cheers! not too bad then really is it.

Have to say their current offer of 30% does seem to be a bit of a steal at present; i tried to see if I could get some discount as I had the remap done in Dec, however as I bought the remap in Oct and had a problem with the ECU they declined, worth a go I thought.

In terms of the CC1 and CC2, CC1 is generic but so are most other remaps out there. I considered the CC2 but on the basis that I had sod all 'essential' mods on the S3 it seemed pointless to go this route. However if you are contemplating doing major mods then CC2 is the one to go for AFTER you have done the other mods.

IIRC there was a dude who had a CC3 after a big turbo conversion which proved the need to have the 'live map' http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=47484. On the thread it also shows the stock S3 with a CC1 and what was gained which was very interesting.

In terms of being nervous about the high mileage just bear in mind what you may need to have done. I had my remap at 150k (admittedly I had a new engine at 93k) I was apprehensive at first but had too take the plunge otherwise I would forever be in the 'should i' or 'shouldn't i' trap! I had my cambelt done at the same time so knew that was all good, the only other components to be concerned about was the clutch and flywheel as they are due a change soon and suspension as it still the original!

For the DV I stayed with stock and have a spare (only cost £20) as I don't see a real benefit of changing to a 'performance' one. Naturally I'll be shot down for saying that. But on the basis that a 'performance' one will cost £80 I can buy 4 OE ones and have the knowledge that it is regularly changed to a new one as and when.

Still get it done CC1 or CC2 you'll be happy!!

jesters3 said:
For the DV I stayed with stock and have a spare (only cost £20) as I don't see a real benefit of changing to a 'performance' one. Naturally I'll be shot down for saying that. But on the basis that a 'performance' one will cost £80 I can buy 4 OE ones and have the knowledge that it is regularly changed to a new one as and when.

not at all, you have it spot on - OEM DV's is where the smart money goes. There is yet to be an aftermarket DV that is as fast to react as an OEM one. All piston types are slower by design. The one diaphragm version, the eliminator, is allegedly very close to OEM DV reaction times, but as it uses a thicker, stiffer diaphragm material, it will be inherently slower.

Custom code would be my first choice too - as the progressive delivery would maintain it's around-town driveability.

Fantastic, cheers fellas...... r.e what you have said jester..... you have put me at ease now, just about to do all major 80k service 'stuff', cambelt,water pump, haldex etc so the only thing to worry about is the clutch......... wonder if its detectable to the insurance if i have a collision? i presume so...... and will get cover but just a thought

1animal1 said:
30% in January......as long as its booked in

Eyup, I wouldn't worry about the book it in before whenever criteria, they seem to be like DFS (or some other furniture store) where one sale follows on from another.

When I had mine done a couple of months ago in Chezzy it was a two for one offer, but 'cos they couldn't pair me with someone I got it at 40% discount, then got talked into the Forge and a filter.

You won't regret having it done, wish I'd had mine done sooner, the drive home is like this :).

I too live in Sheffield. If you're affable enough and fancy a blast in mine get in touch...

madvw - cheers, just not convinced by the whole DV thing. May mate has one on his Ibiza and another has one on his Cupra R and they both swear by it. Each to their own i guess, admittedly I have never heard of one fail and that they are straight forward to service they also give a bit of 'bling' to the engine. But I prefer to stick OE for the reasons you gave plus the knowledge of a few tuners who have said the same.

1animal1 - no worries. Is it detectable that you have had it remap - no. However you run the risk. IMO get it covered period. For me I have bright blue Samco hoses all round so if someone pops the bonnet they can see straight away the engine has been tampered with also the fact that my wife drives it every now and again reinforced getting the insurance sorted. For the sake of £100 it was a no brainer.

theres always that doubt in my mind so def gonna get it insured.... im sure there will be some tell tale signs.....although like you say, a descrete engine bay shouldnt raise suspision.

SHarper said:
Eyup, I wouldn't worry about the book it in before whenever criteria, they seem to be like DFS (or some other furniture store) where one sale follows on from another.

When I had mine done a couple of months ago in Chezzy it was a two for one offer, but 'cos they couldn't pair me with someone I got it at 40% discount, then got talked into the Forge and a filter.

You won't regret having it done, wish I'd had mine done sooner, the drive home is like this :).

I too live in Sheffield. If you're affable enough and fancy a blast in mine get in touch...

I might take you up on that sharp....ive pretty much made my mind up though........ where in sheff are ya

1animal1 said:
.... where in sheff are ya
Did I pass you in the vicinity of Norton water tower, top of Blackstock Road, yesterday afternoon around 3:40 ?

I live in Dore... ( Don't judge me, based on this statement; but then again this ain't SF is it )...

SHarper said:
Did I pass you in the vicinity of Norton water tower, top of Blackstock Road, yesterday afternoon around 3:40 ?

I live in Dore... ( Don't judge me, based on this statement; but then again this ain't SF is it )...

No, it wouldnt have been me, i work 9-5 in the centre...live near Crystal Peaks.

I do pass one every morning, pre 2000 shape, think thats black...... going up East Bank Road...... on another note.....:icon_thumright:

Hi vrbob...thanks for the little write up regarding the mobile service we offer.Hope all is well with the car and your enjoying it.

1animal1...it was good to talk to you on the phone the other day,im glad that your looking into getting the Phase 1 Custom-Code with us.

Regarding the DV,we always recommend replacing the standard Bosch item with the uprated Forge 007P,we would also recommend using a Green Cotton panel filter in place of the standard one to aid with the airflow.

If you would like any more information please feel free to contact Custom-Code on 01246 455004 or for the mobile tuning service 01246 455002 or PM me

Regards

Custom-Code Team

Leigh@Custom-Code said:
Hi vrbob...thanks for the little write up regarding the mobile service we offer.Hope all is well with the car and your enjoying it.

Regarding the DV,we always recommend replacing the standard Bosch item with the uprated Forge 007P,we would also recommend using a Green Cotton panel filter in place of the standard one to aid with the airflow.

All is good not had any issues at all as of yet. I am liking the extra torque when cruising down the mway in 6th gear. Also the pull in the first 4 gears is so much better and it keeps going all the way to the redline. just wish the other cars on the road would give me a bit more space so i can have a little fun!

I do like the noise the car has now under hard acceleration with the forge and the panel filter fitted gives a much more audible air intake.

cheers Leigh, you know ill be in touch fella.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, helped set me at ease with something i wasnt going to even consider, nevermind do

Tim