Custom Code ate my clutch!

Meza

Reaction score
Just had the Custom Code stage one remap on my 2001 S3. It's clear to see my clutch can not cope with it, getting major clutch slip all the time.

Anyone else experienced this after a remap? What's the bestcourse of action... replace with standard clutch or are there any good (but not too expensive) uprated replacements?

Is it an engine out job, any other work that would be worth having done at the same time?

I'm loving the remap, but just can't use the power now.. grr!

I had clutch slip a couple of years after remap.

To replace the clutch you don't need to move the engine, but you do need to lower the front sub-frame (and because of that, it needs a full wheel alignment when it is put back together again). Sachs manual states it is a 4.5 hour job, but I know that Audi Centres like to round that up to 8 hours - well, they do have a lot of tea to drink!

I had an uprated Sachs Organic clutch which is rated to 330lb/ft torque (mine is running 312lb/ft). I gather that the standard clutch is good for around 310lb/ft approx. As I was right on the limit, I decided to go for an uprated one.

I got mine as part of a group buy with JBS - it was about £450 from memory, then another £250 for fitting and wheel alignment.

It is also worth budgeting for a new flywheel as chances are that might be worn as well, and whilst it is all in bits, you can argue it makes sense to change the clutch master and slave cylinders as well.

Dont be so hasty.......!?!?! Clutch slip can be quite common after a remap, as is the fact that it can cure itself remarkably too!

Basically, the clutch plates can become glazed, and slipa bit, but with a bit mpre slip, (without hoofing it so it burns out) and then letting it cool down whilst driving and changing gear a lot, (gentle power etc, then boot it and make it slip a bit, then cool down no slip etc etc, you caqn deglaze your clutch and it will hold on for ages.
Just dont abuse it, dont ride the cluthc or drive wiht yoru left foot on the clutch pedal, and it should sort itself out.

if you muller it and abuse it when its slipping it will die!!

I was running 320-330 lb-ft for nearly 3 years...and then onto the 2nd owner...still on the same std clutch....so the torque isn't the problem.

I had mine heat up and glaze over on the 1/4 mile...but it came back each time.

If you drive sympathetically, a standard clutch is fine...even at 330 lb-ft. It's only full boost, standing starts that will kill it, in my experience.

simch said:
Dont be so hasty.......!?!?! Clutch slip can be quite common after a remap, as is the fact that it can cure itself remarkably too!

Basically, the clutch plates can become glazed, and slipa bit, but with a bit mpre slip, (without hoofing it so it burns out) and then letting it cool down whilst driving and changing gear a lot, (gentle power etc, then boot it and make it slip a bit, then cool down no slip etc etc, you caqn deglaze your clutch and it will hold on for ages.
Just dont abuse it, dont ride the cluthc or drive wiht yoru left foot on the clutch pedal, and it should sort itself out.

if you muller it and abuse it when its slipping it will die!!

Agree with you there Simch, I started to get a bit of clutch slip a few years back, then let a mate out in it for a spin. I told him to take it easy, 5 minutes, he was giving it the beans and no slip whatsoever, think he deglazed it for in the process lol. My remapped car was still running the original standard clutch at 52k miles, and only needed replacement when the gearbox blew up and took the clutch with it.

That's interesting what you've said there Simch, but I'm pretty sure mine is getting worse!

I noticed it slip once a week or so before the remap. Then it was starting to do it straight after the remap. The following day it was doing it more, and I could actually whiff hot clutch smell (yesterday). Today I have been driving softly softly but the slip is worse. It feels like I'm driving a 2wd on ice at times.

After shelling out £200 for brakes last week, then the remap, now the clutch scrabbling over a piece of my wallet too is a right bag of ****!

If you need a new clutch prepare for a big bill. A sachs organic kit fitted is not too far short fo a grand! Some places charge up to 10 hours labour for it, so make sure you get a good quote. They charge a lot for the additional work because fo the 4wd, even though in practice its only about an hour or two more.

:(

Whenever I buy a new car I seem to spend big bucks on them in the first six months. Perhaps I should get a bus pass!

Ta, I tried them but the offer is just for those 5 speeds.

Currently looking at either OEM LUK clutch kit fitted for £600 all in

or getting MTM clutch plate from QST for £220+vat plus a standard pressure plate and release bearing and taking it to all get fitted locally.

Any other places do the MTM clutch, that price any good?

I got a OEM LUK clutch and flywheel including slave cylinder (release bearing) fitted for £620.
Speak to GSF they will do you a clutch for about £180 and fitting should be no more than £200.

How is that LUK clutch and flywheel?
Does it cope with a chipped engine?

I've just thought, can anyone confirm if this is correct...
If my clutch has gone can I just replace the clutch plate itself with the MTM uprated plate?
Or do I need the rest of the parts in an oem clutch kit, and just not use the OEM clutch plate.

in a way I am with ess3... I have 105k on a remapped clutch..... no slipping though this post may be the kiss of death... guess its how you drive. The traffic light gp will kill it for sure...

I don't want to be afraid of launching my car. It seems some people on here give it the big 'un about their Grandma driving style.

speaking of clutch im gonna order mine today what one would everyone go for ?? mine is mapped and running well any advice cheers guys ..

These clutches don't all seem to behave the same. With my car, no matter how you drove the thing it would slip.

Just cruising in 4th or 5th, add some throttle and it would slip alot. I have friends that have no issue what so ever.

If your clutch is slipping, I say change it.