Curt's A3 1.8T Progress Thread

Curt

Reaction score
Hi all :hi:,

Thought I'd stick up a thread to show my progress so far with the Audi. Told myself that I'd be sensible, not spend too much and make this one a slow project. Who was I kidding :whistle2:

This is as I bought it in December of '09 for £1400:

P1010714.jpg

Mmm... dirty.
P1010746.jpg

After a quick clean.
P1010725.jpg

P1010741.jpg

Then it snowed:
Photo048.jpg

So the mods begin, first comes my audio kit from my 306:
Photo101.jpg

Note the obligatory large hammer.
Photo123.jpg

(Now have a nice JL audio sub and new encloser, but no decent picture).
New HU:
Photo0385.jpg

I also bought an engine cover, as it didn't have one when I got it.

More goodies:
Photo162.jpg

Photo169.jpg

New exhaust:
Photo196.jpg

Refurbished my gear knob:
Photo141.jpg

Photo157.jpg

New keyring:
P1010842.jpg

At a 306 meet with my old car club:
P1010873.jpg

Coilies :D:
Photo242.jpg

P1020036.jpg

P1020040.jpg

P1020066.jpg

P1020091.jpg

P1020025.jpg

Playing with a torch:
rings.jpg

Last edited:
Sprayed my wheels Rover Gunmetal:
Photo334-1.jpg

P71312662.jpg

P8281300.jpg

P8281321.jpg

P8281325.jpg

Then got my LM rep's:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

PA161675bweditsmall.jpg

Boost gauge:

Lights off:
IMAG0176.jpg

Lights on:
IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

Snowed again:
a3snow2.jpg

Then the latest additions, Forge carbon strut brace and engine cover:
P102057922.jpg

Whoa, that was more than I thought. As you're still reading this.... Cheers :thumbsup:

I've also had a Revo stage 1 map too.

Got a few more plans, more power at some point... Going to pick up some Ming blue paint and spray my induction kit to get rid of the silver... Also found a replacement N/S door for £45 which I'll hopefully pick up at the weekend.

The chap also has a black leather interior in excellent nick... Tempting. Should I go for it? I've always wanted leather :D

Anyway, thanks again for reading. C&C welcome :)

Last edited:
Yeah I'm loving it, totally transforms the car! Does feel flatter sometimes than others though, not quite sure what it could be. Pretty sure it's not just my imagination :wacko:

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm pleased I went with them - I think they suit it so well. Just 5mm on the front, as without they caught the coilovers. Got them from BM Autosport and I highly recommend them, great service.

Cheers dude, yeah some of them came out not too bad :).

Well it's official, made an offer on the interior with the door.... and he accepted! So leather interior next week :D. Also just bought 2 tyres for the 16's, so I can get the LM's off for winter.

looks very nice. were did you get the boost gauge mounting vent from?? or did u fabricate it??

Cheers. SWG Motorsport, I was going to make one but decided I couldn't be bothered :laugh:

Have purchased another goodie for the car I perhaps shouldn't have :blush:. Will update when it arrives :sly:

Went to pick up my interior and replacement door today... Pleasant chap and everything as described so I'm happy, interior looks good but I'm going to give it a clean/condition/re-dye too once it's in. Hopefully fit it tomorrow or Saturday.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is paying my Uncle back for the fuel, we went in his V8 F-150 :laugh:

Didn't want to risk damaging any of it really, especially the paint on the door :).

Fitted the leathers today, looks so much better. Will get pics soon, did take some with my phone but they're rubbish, don't know what's wrong with it.

P1020605.jpg

P1020603.jpg

P1020591.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

My work space for fitting the interior, a bit tighter than I remembered:

IMAG0271.jpg

Dirrty:

P1020595.jpg

looks ace bud! saddle soap is what you want to nourish it, from a horsey place. cheap too and its what everyone recommends. roll on ice cold *** in winter and red hot in summer :)

Cheers mate, I'll keep that in mind about the saddle soap. Haha, yeah that is one downside, although it hasn't bothered me thus far :p

Big improvement from the first wash! Looks in good nick!

did you spray or lamin-x your headlights and then put them back to standard or was that pic photoshopped?

you wait till your wearing shorts in the summer!!

Haha, I know what you mean, I think it's worth it :)

Big improvement from the first wash! Looks in good nick!

did you spray or lamin-x your headlights and then put them back to standard or was that pic photoshopped?

Cheers man, yeah it's getting there. It's not in brilliant condition if I'm honest, but I'm slowly getting there with it. I would like a respray at some point but can't justify the cost when the car's not worth much more.

Yeah I had Fly Eyes on them a while back, which I think is similar to Lamin-X. But I decided I couldn't see much at night and ripped them off. They're still on the indicators though haha, as I didn't pull them off and decided I kinda like it.

Thank god for quiet days at work, got quite a bit done today.

Weather was nice so decided to change my door over...

Reason for the change, damaged door. Had been pushed in before and pulled out, leaving it out of shape and with damaged paint. It's hard to get a picture of but noticeable in person, doesn't help that it's filthy. Was like it when I bought the car:

P1020633.jpg

P1020632.jpg

Door card off:

IMAG0291.jpg

Frame, regulator and motor out (brilliant design IMO):

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

Door-less:
IMAG0302.jpg

Done'd and cleaned:

P1020608.jpg

P1020614.jpg

P1020617.jpg

P1020637.jpg

P1020635.jpg

P1020622.jpg

P1020624.jpg

P1020629.jpg

It looks so much better IMO, it really bugged me ever since I got it. Glad I waited for a door in the right colour to come up though, it only has one dint in it and was only £25. Sod load better than paying to have one painted.

Also got a parcel today.....

P1020650.jpg

:D

Last edited:
looks tidy as you like mate
that scratch looks removable on the bumper to me. get detailing!!

I think that front bumper is cryin out for an fmic!!

Thanks mate. It's actually deeper than it looks unfortunately, I've had compound and SRP on it which helped a lot. May get the mop out and give it a whirl, although they do catch with the finger nail test so there's not much hope. I have been researching for a FMIC actually, but I think I'll try and get hold of a K03S first! Don't think there's much point on a stage 1? Apart from looks.

Looks good, some nice pics too. Some tints would suit. Loving the Boxer! Sadly just lost ours, great dogs.

Cheers :). Yeah you're probably right, but I can't be bothered with them haha. Had them on my old car and wasn't overly keen, so all I gained was a significant loss of visibility at night.

Sorry to hear that. They are indeed, love him! Also got a 13 y/o boxer cross.

Is that an Audi kit on your car?

Not S3 is it?

Looks good

AFAIK it's an Audi factory option yes, but I don't think thy made them. Cheers.

Mate, looks like a differnet car! Also with the mods you've done it looks years more modern! Well done!

Hiya, looking good, love the torch pic. How did you do that?

looks good so far mate :)

IMO, should de-badge the boot :)

Cheers dude, been considering it but I'm not quite sure yet...

Mate, looks like a differnet car! Also with the mods you've done it looks years more modern! Well done!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Good to know my hard earned has been well spent!

Hiya, looking good, love the torch pic. How did you do that?

Cheers man. Camera on a tripod, long exposure and run around like a spastic, basically. That was before I got my DSLR too, should get some better and more interesting ones really....

Finally got round to fitting my new fanimold yesterday, also painted my air filter as I got bored of the silver.

Before:
P102057922.jpg

After:
P1030245.jpg

P1030224.jpg

P1030251.jpg

P1030230.jpg

Next on the list is a damn good clean, sorting out the rubbish battery cover (S3 one?) and painting the throttle body, most likely purple... I would polish it but that is fair too much effort for my liking... and the only other colour I can think is black, which is boring. Oh and replacing the dipstick I broke whilst fitting the inlet.