Cup Holder

MattT

Reaction score
I know there are a couple of topics about this already, but it didn't quite give me all the information I was after.

Ive managed to get my cup holder stuck in my S3 and would like to know the best way to get it out. From what I gather I have to take the stereo out and get the plastic surround off so I can get to the cup holder? Is this correct?

If so is there an easy way to get the stereo out without the special tools?

Cheers in advance,

Matt

Mign got stuck in several times as well. I just kept quickly pushing and letting go in the middle whilst driving and after a while in popped out. I then covered in with dry lube and touch wood it has never done it since.

You need some radio keys to get the radio out and then you can force the surround panel out from the bottom. From emory there are some allen key bolts holding the cupholder in. I would try a stabbing push lots of times first as I am sure it will come out.

Cheers for that. I have tried pushing it a few times but I can't see it coming out to be honest, it doesn't even really move in enough to "un latch" itself.

Is there anything I can use instead of the radio keys or do I have to get some from the dealer if I can?

Depends if its the new (facelift) or older style dash. If your careful with a facelift dash you can get the piano trim off without removing the radio using a plastic spatula or similar. Just prize it all around as its just clipped on being sure not to scratch anything. You'll then see the cup holder mech which just clips out. Its probably just jammed on the piano opening/cutout.

Try moving the piano trim left to right and up and down while trying to eject the cup holder - worth a try

nervus said:
Depends if its the new (facelift) or older style dash. If your careful with a facelift dash you can get the piano trim off without removing the radio using a plastic spatula or similar. Just prize it all around as its just clipped on being sure not to scratch anything. You'll then see the cup holder mech which just clips out. Its probably just jammed on the piano opening/cutout.

Try moving the piano trim left to right and up and down while trying to eject the cup holder - worth a try

Ah cheers, I have got a facelift model so I will give that a go. I don't mind if my trim gets damaged to be honest, I think I will get a new one anyway as it got slightly damaged last time Audi had to get the cup holder out!

I don't think my holder is broken, I think my little brother might have got something stuck in there and it won't come past the lip!

I have had a quick go at prizing the piano trim off, but there isn't much I can squeeze in there, a credit card just about fits and that is too flimsy. Not sure what else I could try, maybe a ruler!?

I used a lab spatular but you could use a blunt butter knife or a flathead driver but be careful and patient and maybe use some polythene to protect where you enter with the driver.

If you get one end out slightly then you can get something bigger in and really apply some pressure - they are just spring clips!

ok wicked, thanks. I don't mind busting the glossy trim as I need a new one anyway, I just don't want to bust up the plastic on the dash!

Will the holder come right out if I can get that trim off?

Sorry to be a pain chaps!

Don't but the glossy trim it costs a fortune! Just be carful, just carefully prise it out. If its not coming, get some radio keys.

Once that trim is off then there is two little latches which need lifting on the cup holder with a tiny driver then the whole unit slides out. Its really straight forward whren you see it.

Even as a last resort, drive down to the dealers and borrow some radio keys or drive straight round to the workshop and ask one of the lads to release your radio forward for you to allow you at it.

Forgot to say,

Prise from the sides first, if you get one side raised just pull it up from that end. There are 3 clips, one each side and a bigger one in the middle which is never going to come.

Once you get one of the sides raised a little, you will see that the piano trim is just a thin laminate, get you driver under the plastic the trim is bonded too.

Maybe use an old C card/ video card, snap it in half and place both half's in the gap then put your screwdriver between them to protect everything, or if they dont fit at least use some polythene from an A4 paper pouch or something.

Good luck.

ok, I will have a go. Thanks again thats some excellent help

Just like to say thanks a lot guys. I managed to get the plastic trim off by prizing it off from one side. From there I could just pull the cup holder out and it works fine again.

Thanks again for the help!