Cup Holder LED Lighting

I'm sure it's not...ill be doing footwell lights too soon...not sure how to wire into correct plug or where correct plug is... Let us know if you find where to wire it to control it.. Maybe VAGyoda @DJAlix can let us know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have no hope finding it myself, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of it so I don't mess it up

I'm sure it's not...ill be doing footwell lights too soon...not sure how to wire into correct plug or where correct plug is... Let us know if you find where to wire it to control it.. Maybe VAGyoda @DJAlix can let us know?

Check out the video

Hi Tim,

So the method you used will not allow dimming through MMI, correct? I assume your cupholder LED rings will be on its brightest setting by default?

Hi Tim,

So the method you used will not allow dimming through MMI, correct? I assume your cupholder LED rings will be on its brightest setting by default?

Correct...always on the brightest setting which isn't a problem IMO

Reactions: Ormesome and BodegaBay
@fatyin: did you ever get your cupholder to light and be controllable through the MMI? I have the same issue as you report in post #120. Grateful for any advice if you found a fix.

Thanks in advance
Adam

Could someone with the interior light kit either standard or retrofitted on an A3 8V please clarify which lights are controlled by the "front" background lighting setting? Is it just the cupholder? Does anyone with the cupholder working as it should have an adaptation map for the BCM they would be willing to share please?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Why don’t people link the cup holder light to the cig lighter wires like @TimWills28 did? I did that and works perfectly. Only time I have ever needed to turn it down was when I was trying it out and then it’s done via the little wheel that controls all dash lights. For me this makes sense as the lights surrounding the cup holder lights are all dimmed at the same time then. Would be strange to dim just the cup holder lights. But then I guess if you “have to” have it oem and audi did it like this then fine. But just doesn’t seem like it’s owrth the extra hassle.

Fair point and I will if I can't crack it but I would also like to understsnd how it all works on an OEM basis. I am pretty sure I have a simple coding issue and its all wired up now so I would like to rule that out first.

Adam

If I knew how to code it I would have done that when I did the install..but for ease of install and the fact that its only a small install I did it that way.

When I do footwell lights I’ll wire correctly most likely lol

As far as the footwell lights go I am all good with them wired into pin 72 in the 73c BCM connector (the most accessible one thankfully).

Reactions: TimWills28
I've done a whole load more testing on my set up and it seems things are mostly working as they should, apart from the actual level of voltage to the cup light. Its only 0.65v when the lights are on, when I think it should be 12v. Turn the lights off and the 0.65V decreases to zero as one might expect.

I've even run a second pair of wires and tried different earthing points to check its not the wiring and I get the same results regardless. I'm therefore still leaning to a coding issue which might send a higher voltage through the circuit. So before I give up and wire to the ciggy lighter, I'd love to understand the adaption channels to make sure it's not something simple. Its pretty complex though and there is a challenge to understand which of the many adaption channels might relate to the cupholder wiring. Therefore it would be really helpful if someone with the ILP already fitted could share a BCM adaption map they might have please.

Failing that it would be useful to know which lights are controlled by the "front" background lighting setting in the MMI, and so if there is anyone with ILP fitted who could confirm that, I'd also be most grateful.

I'm sure this info will ultimately be useful for others retrofitting ILP, so any help gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Adam

Hi guys, I've had some air freshener fluid leak onto the cup holder and ruined it... as I need to change it I thought that getting a cup holder unit which already has the led ring in it might help. However, I can't find the part number anywhere.
Please help!

Hi guys, I've had some air freshener fluid leak onto the cup holder and ruined it... as I need to change it I thought that getting a cup holder unit which already has the led ring in it might help. However, I can't find the part number anywhere.
Please help!

I don’t think there is centre console part with the led cup holder rings included. They’re separate parts, so you’ll have to fit them. Or get lucky and buy a used one with it already fitted.

That makes sense, however, they must have the one with the LED on it as what if someone with the lights pack wants one?