Crunch time on the S3....Opinions wanted

Reaction score
Fans,

So it's decision time on the S3. This October the PCP ends and I've done nearly 50,000 miles on it. It's currently out of warranty. I'm led to believe I'm currently in balanced equity territory after speaking to Audi/VW.

I'm debating two things currently:

1) Whether to renew the warranty at £650 for just named component cover up until October
OR
2) Change into something else such as an M240i or just a new FL S3 Sportback.

The way I have felt about the S3 over the past 3 years is this: it's very utilitarian and the interior is second to none. I love the B&O, especially compared to the Harmon Kardon on the BMW's which is frankly pathetic and far inferior, however it's just a very numb car, i.e. it doesn't make me feel much.

I've test driven the M240i recently and think it's great, the engine is immense, so I have been considering that, I just think the interior is dated and I'd be sacrificing a few elements and ultimately be paying more in servicing and tyres.

Thoughts? Financially savvy input would be welcomed particularly. The rear brakes are about 90% shot now and it's due a service in the next 2,000 miles so the costs aggregated are weighing on my mind.

I will likely go down the PCP route again. Lease deals seem far too expensive as soon as you start adding on the extras.

Personally, unless you suspect there may be problems, I wouldn’t buy the addition warranty for the last few months of your ownership. I have that cover, but I am planning to keep the car for a few years yet.

Neither would I get the brakes done unless the service says they have got to be done.

Reactions: 4K
I really like the M240i, however as you highlight the interior is not great. I also think it needs the bmw performance wheels and bodykit, without these it’s a pretty dull looking car.

I’m in a similar situation myself, my PCP is up in March. Top of my list currently is the facelift TT, I was considering a BMW myself but the interiors are not great unless you are buying a 6 or 8 series.

Simples ....Get rid ASAP and get a new S3 if you have been happy with the current one

Reactions: Jassyo06
Fans,

So it's decision time on the S3. This October the PCP ends and I've done nearly 50,000 miles on it. It's currently out of warranty. I'm led to believe I'm currently in balanced equity territory after speaking to Audi/VW.

1) Whether to renew the warranty at £650 for just named component cover up until October
OR

The way I have felt about the S3 over the past 3 years is this: it's very utilitarian and the interior is second to none. I love the B&O, especially compared to the Harmon Kardon on the BMW's which is frankly pathetic and far inferior, however it's just a very numb car, i.e. it doesn't make me feel much.

I've test driven the M240i recently and think it's great, the engine is immense, so I have been considering that, I just think the interior is dated and I'd be sacrificing a few elements and ultimately be paying more in servicing and tyres.

Thoughts? Financially savvy input would be welcomed particularly. The rear brakes are about 90% shot now and it's due a service in the next 2,000 miles so the costs aggregated are weighing on my mind.

I will likely go down the PCP route again. Lease deals seem far too expensive as soon as you start adding on the extras.
Go buy the S3 saloon it's probably the best. ..... Handling/looking car Audi make at the moment... for the money, Apologies to sportback guys but it is, you'll get around 18% percent discount..... spec dependant

Same stick with what you know and are happy with. If you want more excitement get it mapped. I know what you mean about Audi steering it’s a bit numb ect but overall comfort is good!

All these posts recently ect I'm coming up to the end of warrenty id need to buy extended to keep it or its on 40k miles, seriously the car could be good for 10 years with next to no issues 98% that pay for warrenty wouldnt use it, I used to take advantage and buy 3 or 4 year old cars tune them and have no problems for years then pass on

Go buy the S3 saloon it's probably the best. ..... Handling/looking car Audi make at the moment... for the money, Apologies to sportback guys but it is, you'll get around 18% percent discount..... spec dependant

@jassyo06 your hilarious and how time changes opinions.
I remember when you had the sportback you constantly called the saloon a wedding car or looking like any Korean saloon.
Suppose you have to support your own decision now.

But I agree and have always said the saloon is the best of the bunch

Reactions: Pook, 4K and loftylad
@jassyo06 your hilarious and how time changes opinions.
I remember when you had the sportback you constantly called the saloon a wedding car or looking like any Korean saloon.
Suppose you have to support your own decision now.

But I agree and have always said the saloon is the best of the bunch
It was only banter back then mate, but i still think the A3 saloon in a white paint gives off massive wedding car vibes

Reactions: loftylad

Exactly what I done Sepang SB to Floret Saloon, maybe its an age thing but the Saloon is far more refined looks wise IMHO in addition, mag ride is huge improvement on SB bouncy, bang and crash suspension

Fans,

OR

If you like the S3, just get another one. The next S3 is probably a couple years away yet. But as Jassyo06 says, try the Saloon. Best looking car Audi make

I'm personally not a fan of BMW's, and hate the look (both inside and out) of the 2 series. M2 Competition does look better though.

If you like the S3 but want more involvement, try a Golf R

New merc A35? Obviously budget dependant

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The wife has a 2015 S3 saloon in manual :screamcat: with just 8k miles too! She is holding out for the new shape S3 just to see what it is like. Such a great car the S3 imho.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

Where are you seeing 18%.
I’m only getting 6-9% on carwow...

Just my opinion but I would never buy a new car when a new model was coming out shortly. It's so much money to just throw away. Not only will you lose in normal depreciation but the new model effect will take an even bigger chunk out of the price of your S3. No amount of discount would make it worthwhile for me. If you don't care about the money or are just thinking about monthly payments because you won't buy after the 3yr PCP deal, then how about the thought that in about a years time you will be driving a car that is outdated, every time a new model S3 goes past you will look at it enviously and the want/desire to change will kick in again! I would renew the warranty, keep for 1 more year but put an order in for the new A3/S3. Be one of the 1st to get that model. I know nothing about the M240i so I cant offer opinion on it!

Just my opinion but I would never buy a new car when a new model was coming out shortly. It's so much money to just throw away. Not only will you lose in normal depreciation but the new model effect will take an even bigger chunk out of the price of your S3. No amount of discount would make it worthwhile for me. If you don't care about the money or are just thinking about monthly payments because you won't buy after the 3yr PCP deal, then how about the thought that in about a years time you will be driving a car that is outdated, every time a new model S3 goes past you will look at it enviously and the want/desire to change will kick in again! I would renew the warranty, keep for 1 more year but put an order in for the new A3/S3. Be one of the 1st to get that model. I know nothing about the M240i so I cant offer opinion on it!
New models will cost a fortune plus very little discount l certainly would never buy a new in its first year of production especially the all new A3/S3 .... It definitely won't be a game changer..

Reactions: listers_socks and loftylad

I’m totally of the opposite opinion ! lol

I’d never buy a brand new model because I don’t want to be the beta tester who’s the guinea pig for finding out all the inevitable faults with such a car.

Also, the new model will be much more expensive to start with…..and there’ll be little or no discount available on a new model, either.

For me, I’ll take the last of the current gen model with a large discount and all of the faults either ironed out, or at least known about and known fixes available as they’ve been done countless times before.

I might not even like the new model when it comes out! I know I love the current one.

Horses for courses!:icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally, JimmyMcGee and listers_socks
I’m totally of the opposite opinion ! lol

I’d never buy a brand new model because I don’t want to be the beta tester who’s the guinea pig for finding out all the inevitable faults with such a car.

Also, the new model will be much more expensive to start with…..and there’ll be little or no discount available on a new model, either.

For me, I’ll take the last of the current gen model with a large discount and all of the faults either ironed out, or at least known about and known fixes available as they’ve been done countless times before.

I might not even like the new model when it comes out! I know I love the current one.

Horses for courses!:icon thumright:

Plus as well if you get a 'run out model' you tend to find the specification is better as they try to give them one last push at shifting them before the 'new' model comes out.

Quite a bit more expensive though.

Thanks, that's good input. Are we thinking that the new S3 will be out in about a years time then?

I have to say though, having seen the new Q3 and A1, I'm not liking where Audi are going with the designs, especially the grill/bonnet and front end, they look disastrous if I'm honest. If that looks ugly on the S3 I will move over to BMW.

If you like the S3, just get another one. The next S3 is probably a couple years away yet. But as Jassyo06 says, try the Saloon. Best looking car Audi make

I'm personally not a fan of BMW's, and hate the look (both inside and out) of the 2 series. M2 Competition does look better though.

If you like the S3 but want more involvement, try a Golf R

I wouldn't necessarily say I like the S3. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Like I said, it's very utilitarian and coming back from a holiday or work trip where I've driven other cars, getting back into the S3 is refreshing as it is so refined and does everything (apart from suspension and low end torque) relatively well. I find it very numb/boring to drive, but then that is most VAG cars tbh.

I wouldn't necessarily say I like the S3. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Like I said, it's very utilitarian and coming back from a holiday or work trip where I've driven other cars, getting back into the S3 is refreshing as it is so refined and does everything (apart from suspension and low end torque) relatively well. I find it very numb/boring to drive, but then that is most VAG cars tbh.

Lloyd Colne BMW - £399 deposit, £399 a month for a 5 door brand spanking new M140.. yes the interiors aren't as nice as Audi but i like them and they aren't as bad as many Audi owners like to think they are.

If you can get the above deal from a BMW dealer just by looking on their website you can be sure you'll be able to get a better deal with the mileage allowance required, options and deposit from independent leasing companies.

Select car leasing has loads of deals on different model BMWs as i looked this morning just out of curiosity.

The M240 was on there too, don't recall the deal offered though.

Do not know when the A3 or S3 is out but in response to the replies to my post above, consider:
1: It will be based on the same platform as other cars in the range so the running gear should be sorted
2: Loosely based on the A1 and Q3 interior will mean most problems will come up in that production line?
3: If Audi were a company that changes things drastically then i would understand the "gremlins" or "beta tester" argument. However, Audi doesn't and this generally means that running gear/switchgear is proven and used widely throughout the range.
4: Did the 8v prove to be a disaster in 2012 when it came out?
5: You will have a full warranty, so the points about gremlin problems in a new model car are irrelevant?

Financially I think you have 2 view angles:

1: if you keep the car for 10yrs = S3 8V - You will get discounts & better spec and by the time you change the car it will be so old that even the model after the 8V will be past a generation.
2. If your on PCP or want to keep the car short term = New model A3/S3 - better residual value, more satisfying, up to date tech & design, future proof.

I’m in a similar situation myself, my PCP is up in March.
Shouldn't they have given you your options by now then? What will happen come March if a car isn't ready to go and yours is due to go back?

Shouldn't they have given you your options by now then? What will happen come March if a car isn't ready to go and yours is due to go back?

It’s a 4 year pcp but I can vt it from March, should have been more specific. Can’t see me hanging on to it for another year, can’t be bothered extending the warranty, paying for another service and fitting new tyres.

Do not know when the A3 or S3 is out but in response to the replies to my post above, consider:
1: It will be based on the same platform as other cars in the range so the running gear should be sorted
2: Loosely based on the A1 and Q3 interior will mean most problems will come up in that production line?
3: If Audi were a company that changes things drastically then i would understand the "gremlins" or "beta tester" argument. However, Audi doesn't and this generally means that running gear/switchgear is proven and used widely throughout the range.
4: Did the 8v prove to be a disaster in 2012 when it came out?
5: You will have a full warranty, so the points about gremlin problems in a new model car are irrelevant?

Financially I think you have 2 view angles:

1: if you keep the car for 10yrs = S3 8V - You will get discounts & better spec and by the time you change the car it will be so old that even the model after the 8V will be past a generation.
2. If your on PCP or want to keep the car short term = New model A3/S3 - better residual value, more satisfying, up to date tech & design, future proof.
One thing is for sure giving the design direction Audi are going they'll be a lot of Audi s3 guys not renewing their affair with the brand.. ... And if you class "tech" as a touchscreen MMI well sorry that's not a Technological advancement in Automotive engineering mate

Reactions: loftylad
And if you class "tech" as a touchscreen MMI well sorry that's not a Technological advancement in Automotive engineering mate

I was not talking about the touch screen, for me, that's not tech but style differentiation. My point was aimed more along the lines of the fact that all 8v's wont be compatable with Earth view.....

It’s a 4 year pcp but I can vt it from March, should have been more specific. Can’t see me hanging on to it for another year, can’t be bothered extending the warranty, paying for another service and fitting new tyres.
Ahhh right, same reason I changed coming up to 3 years, the cost of extending the warranty, big service and new tyres to keep it keep it was about £1,000 the cost of jumping into another new one was £1,000!!! ;)

One thing is for sure giving the design direction Audi are going they'll be a lot of Audi s3 guys not renewing their affair with the brand.. ... And if you class "tech" as a touchscreen MMI well sorry that's not a Technological advancement in Automotive engineering mate

I spent some time in the audi dealership the weekend and starting with the q2, the design and quality has gone in a different direction to what previously has drawn me to audi. A1 interior is more polo/Fabia quality now, q3 is lots of strange shapes, just looks a mess and the quality is def a step down on the s3. Lots of hard plastics, and all the nice touches gone. I love the gearbox area in the s3, nice soft touch plastics, metals, leather. All gone In the q3, just plain black hard plastics. Looks like bmw have finally sorted interiors now so fancy a new 3/4 series next

Reactions: 4K, TYb and Jassyo06
I spent some time in the audi dealership the weekend and starting with the q2, the design and quality has gone in a different direction to what previously has drawn me to audi. A1 interior is more polo/Fabia quality now, q3 is lots of strange shapes, just looks a mess and the quality is def a step down on the s3. Lots of hard plastics, and all the nice touches gone. I love the gearbox area in the s3, nice soft touch plastics, metals, leather. All gone In the q3, just plain black hard plastics. Looks like bmw have finally sorted interiors now so fancy a new 3/4 series next
I agree with every point you say ... Audi have been at the top for a few years now with style and design. .. As they say you can't stay at the top forever

Reactions: 4K and TYb
Relating to BMW, iv had quite a few conversations with various people over here about cars reputations and so on, and the brands people like in the UK. I was surprised when he told me that here (Switzerland) and in Germany, people see BMW as the top of them all. Mercedes 2nd and Audi 3rd. Surprised that Mercedes come 2nd to BMW. We didn't go into depth about the whys etc... but for prestige, this was the order.

Relating to BMW, iv had quite a few conversations with various people over here about cars reputations and so on, and the brands people like in the UK. I was surprised when he told me that here (Switzerland) and in Germany, people see BMW as the top of them all. Mercedes 2nd and Audi 3rd. Surprised that Mercedes come 2nd to BMW. We didn't go into depth about the whys etc... but for prestige, this was the order.

I see them all on par really as they all offer similar models to one an other.

Never really fancied a Mercedes apart from the CLA, regarding Audi only the A3, A5 and Q3 appeal to me and onto BMW well the 1 series, 3 series oh and potentially an X3.

Drove the New 840d and the new X4 40d in the last 2 weeks both interiors are solid and very nice indeed expensive cars though but the interior design direction is spot on

Drove the New 840d and the new X4 40d in the last 2 weeks both interiors are solid and very nice indeed expensive cars though but the interior design direction is spot on

Mate of mine has a brand spanker 3 series GT (330D auto m sport) and the interior in that is bang on.

Spacious, well built, leather everywhere, digital dash, white leather seats and mood lighting and options all over the place.

It’s too big for my liking but I can appreciate how good it is (IMO).

Thanks for your input. This is pretty much bang on my situation. You decided what you're going to do?

Thanks for your input. This is pretty much bang on my situation. You decided what you're going to do?

I’m going to the dealers on Saturday to test drive the new TT, will also see what other offers they have on.