Cruise control

boardy1987

Reaction score
Was just wondering about cruise control. I was talking to an audi car breaker and he said that it would plug into my steering wire loom as all cars have the wiring for it and is an optional extra. He said I could buy the lever for 25quid. Is this a take on or is there more to it??? So many things I want to do with the car but dont know where to start lol

You'll most likely need a different (upgraded steering control module) which is what sits behind the steering wheel. You'll also need the cruise stalk itself, and if you don't have dis already you'll need to do that too as far as I know. So you may need another stalk. You can reuse your current cowling as long as you're willing to hack it up.

Cruise is a relatively easy mod, bit it's not just as simple as fastening the stalk on I'm afraid. You'll also need vcds to program it in too.

I paid about 100 for all my bits, it's a great little mod.

Audi said they could do the programme for 80quid. Would a local garage do it??? I though the we lever would of done it. How could I tell if I need it???

If you have a multi-function steering wheel, you have the right module. If not, you probably don't. A replacement compatible one is about £130 I think. The cruise control stalk is about £30, the replacement lower steering column trim is about the same. Then you need to tell the car that cruise control is there - like you say, Audi will charge £80. Many members here have VCDS and they would do it for far less - usually a few beers!

My steering wheel module has the part number 8E0 953 549 N (the 'N' being the important bit) and I have cruise control.

Dont have that for goodness sake. Would you recommend ebay for the part? Sorry for all the questions im new to all this. Ive had 106s n vectras etc. Finally got the car I wanted n want the cruise control for motorway journeys etc

there is loads of info on here about cruise do a search and read then you will find out what part numbers you need etc

where are you located? Im in hull and have VCDS and can code it in for beer money

Im in antrim northern ireland. Cheers anyway mate. Im goanna look down here mate where could I find the part number of the steering wheel module on ny car to see whats its got or not. I was sort of hoping to go to breakers and buy the leaver n get it programmed in or buy a multifuction steering wheel but I dnt think I have the correct stuff for that. What would b easier just on that cos if I have to uograde stuff anyway I might aswell get the steering wheel. Sorry for all the questions but greatly appreciated.

I think the only way you can find out the part number of your steering wheel module is to take your steering wheel off and have a look or get someone to scan it with VCDS, or ask a dealer - but some are bit reluctant to give out part numbers. Some on here have access to the dealer system and can take your VIN number and find out for you (Though I don't know exactly who!) If you get the correct module, you can then get the MFSW too if you want, but you don't have to have it. I have one, and love it, but it's... how do I put it... ugly as sin!

I've never looked for the module on eBay so not sure how often they some up.

Asking a dealer wont help, as they only quote the latest module that would be fitted to the car should yours go faulty, they don't hold data on what's fitted currently I'm afraid, however you're correct that a physical check for slip ring if fitting an mfsw/cruise & vcds for steering module for cruise is only way forward.

im goanna see if I can get anyone with the vcds if not il be workin on the car all day haha. Yous have been a great help thanks very much folks. Id like the mfsw tbh so il try and get that. Il let yas know how I get on.

Well I can sell you vcds, cruise stalk, steering module, slip ring & mfsw, but I'll be honest that's not a cheap bag of goodies :)

I havnt a clue about none of this to b honest whats the cheapest way ypu could do it and what would it involve mate??? I genuinely thought it would only be the matter of fitting the leaver and programming it and away haha I wouldnt care if I coudnt get the mfsw tbh jus would of liked it. Thanks again 4 helping me out

To be honest, the mfsw on the b6 is ugly as hell. It's nowhere near as nice as the 3 spoke sport one.

Cruise can be done for cheap, if you're willing to wait for bargains. I waited a good few months for my steering control module on eBay, and I got it for 50. People have had them cheaper than that too. Cruise stalk was about 25 new off eBay also. I already had dis so that was fine, and I cut my lower cowling myself following a guide somebody on here made.

At the age of the car I don't think it's worth splashing loads of cash on buying it new.

I got cruise stalk steering module and indicator stalk with dis function buttons all for £20 posted :D

Yeah I know I almost ripped the guys arm off down the phone lol

I no what you mean. I have only a rough idea on prices but dont know the costs new etc. Im goanna do alot of research before I do anything as I love the car and dont want to wreck it. Its the best car ive owned. I remember installing subs wen I was 17 an cutting the wireloom and blew the whole lot lol. So a bit wiser now. But I found this fourm is the best way to find out stuff as every1 one it seems to love there car. Cheers matey