Cruise control speed Q

MooLard

Reaction score
Good morning, just thought of a question to run by you lot, should cruise control when on keep the car at the same speed when travelling downhill?
I think mine did previously but it has not the last few times and so I was wondering if all is ok.

I don't think so, all the cruise does it keep the engine running at the right speed, so when going downhill in a high gear the car will still coast with no throttle applied with very minimal engine braking which will cause it to speed up

I am pretty sure my car will apply the brakes via the ABS system as I really do feel the car slow down to bring it to my set speed.

I will have to try it after work!

Mine has never applied the brakes but I did retrofit my cruise...so maybe I have missed something in the coding

I am most probably wrong, but the car def feels it slows down............unless I am braking without realising LOL

Everything I am reading is mixed.............will def check mine out after work

Mine maintains the same speed up and down hill, and yes the cruise can apply the brakes to reduce the speed, ESP system also using the application of brakes to keep a car in line, all done through the electronics.....

Well as suspected, my car does use the brakes to slow down if going too fast down a hill.

It is also quite noticeable if you set the speed then move/hold the stalk down to reduce the cruise speed of the car.....it def applies the brakes also.

Mine doesn't. (Factory fitted cruise). 53 plated B6. My partner's father has a newish Volvo - the big estate - it does. Her mother has the small Volvo hatchback - same age - it doesn't. There must be different generations of cruise control fitted.

Mike, I would say you have a definite problem with your cruise then, all cruise systems fitted to the B6 operate exactly the same regardless of the age of car......

Nope, mine works perfect.....mine is a 2004

Down hill it slows the car and once the speed is reached it coasts a bit and if it slows too much it accelerates.........maintains the speed regardless.

You can really feel the car working to maintain the speed going up and down a hill

Mike, I would say you have a definite problem with your cruise then, all cruise systems fitted to the B6 operate exactly the same regardless of the age of car......
I sincerely doubt there's a problem - my (then, brand new) 54 plated B7 did exactly the same. If it was fitted with "adaptive cruise" then I'd expect it to brake. The Volvo mentioned earlier has it in the big estate. The coupe doesn't. But I'm always happy to be proved wrong :)

Tried my wife's A3 that has factory cruise and that doesn't brake when going downhill.
People that say the car is braking, do you have auto or manual? I could understand an auto slowing down as it would properly use the gears to slow the car down.

Thank you for all of the replies, my car is a manual and I thought it braked downhill once upon a time, but now it does not.
I scanned the car for faults and none came up but I don't know if the abs is scanned thoroughly for issues.