Cruise Control retrofit need help

George Kost

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2009 facelift A3 8PA.
I want to retrofit the cruise control system but I cannot find which stalk I need to order.

I thought that I need the 8P0953513F but an ebay dealer told me that I need 8P0054690B.
The stalk that I have now installed (only lights and flash signals) is 8P0953513E.

Also the control module that I have in the car right now is 1K0953549DB witch I think is a MIDLINE but the dealer told me that I need 8P0953549K.

I am completely confused.

Can anyone help please?
I can provide the VIN number in DM if needed.

Best regards,
George

8P0953513F is the stalk you need.
8P0054690B is the part number for the official retrofit kit which includes the stalk and the lower trim with the cut out for the cruise stalk.

when i fitted cruise i just fitted 8P0953513F and then cut out the shape for the extra stalk on the original lower trim using a dremel. theres an outline of what you need to cut out on the inside of the trim piece.

8P0054690B will be expensive. 8P0953513F by itself is quite cheap on ebay. think i paid £30. the trim cutting is free, but buying a used trim is around £10 to £20 for one from a car with cruise.

Everything you need to know. http://lightnings.dk/fartpilot_en.html

Courtesy of the legend @FredrikA3
I have already visited this site several times.
The point I missed is the following:
For 2003 - 2010 is B or D the same stalk. D have later on replaced B, but the only real different is the icons on the stalk.
The one I purchased to begin with was F, which shares icons with D.
So I understand B is the old one (with the curve on the icon on the stalk) and D is the replacement with the icons being in straight line.
So F is similar to the D icons but for >2010 cars.

8P0953513F is the stalk you need.
8P0054690B is the part number for the official retrofit kit which includes the stalk and the lower trim with the cut out for the cruise stalk.

when i fitted cruise i just fitted 8P0953513F and then cut out the shape for the extra stalk on the original lower trim using a dremel. theres an outline of what you need to cut out on the inside of the trim piece.

8P0054690B will be expensive. 8P0953513F by itself is quite cheap on ebay. think i paid £30. the trim cutting is free, but buying a used trim is around £10 to £20 for one from a car with cruise.
OK I understand that the seller might tried to sell the trim as well.
No need. I have already seen the outline where the dremel is going to vut.

But 8P0953513F is supposed to be for 2010 - 2013 models.
So is this correct?

yeah youve understood correctly.

all stalks will 'work' eg. you can use a B on a 2011 car, but the high beam flash is different, so really you want to buy the correct one for your car.
my understanding was that 09 onwards cars needed the F stalk.

my original stalk was 8P0953513E and i used an F cruise stalk

yeah youve understood correctly.

all stalks will 'work' eg. you can use a B on a 2011 car, but the high beam flash is different, so really you want to buy the correct one for your car.
my understanding was that 09 onwards cars needed the F stalk.

my original stalk was 8P0953513E and i used an F cruise stalk
This is good. If all stalks work the same then no problem.
I know I can swap the light stalk if needed. I have seen a YouTube video with instructions. No problem there.

My control module is correct? Just for cruise I think is going to work.

There is a difference in how the stalks work for pre and post facelift. On the prefacelift if you want main beam when the lights are on you push the stalk away and it sits where you push it. You have to pull in towards you to select dip again. On the facelift the stalk moves to select main beam but then is spring loaded and returns to the normal position on its own.

1st question for the stalks is this, when you turn on your raised beam, does the stalk stay forward or spring back.

There is a hack yes to use any, but it's a delicate swap of internals, so be careful.

1st question for the stalks is this, when you turn on your raised beam, does the stalk stay forward or spring back.

There is a hack yes to use any, but it's a delicate swap of internals, so be careful.
Hello thanks for the reply.
to activate high beam, I push the stalk towards the dash and the stalk comes back in the middle position. And to deactivate it, I pull the stalk towards me and the stalk comes back in the middle position again.

If when you push forward it self returns, then it's the later stalk type, although using existing non cruise stalk & older type cruise stalks are possible, but fiddly to put together.

The cruise kits do not include the lower trim at all, it's a separate purchase.

Steering ECU, K is the highline for your car, yours may code, need to test.

If when you push forward it self returns, then it's the later stalk type, although using existing non cruise stalk & older type cruise stalks are possible, but fiddly to put together.

The cruise kits do not include the lower trim at all, it's a separate purchase.

Steering ECU, K is the highline for your car, yours may code, need to test.

The lower trim is no problem. I will trim it with my dremel. No problem there.
The stalk is about 100€ from local Audi here in Greece which is OK. A bit more expensive than the ones I find on ebay.
*I really like the newer cruise stalk icons which I think is a bit more expensive on ebay.

About the Steering ECU, mine is 1K0953549DB . I think this is MIDLINE so would support cruise. Is this not correct?

OK so today I had the day off and went by the official dealer here in Athens.
So:
For the stalk, the parts guy told me that I need 8P0054690B (which is the part with the lower trim as mentioned above by @samisnake). The good think is that they sell it for 110€ which is a good price for both the stalk and the trim.

Another think we discussed is the dates of the car. They told me that it was produced on 25/09/2009, but commercially it is called a 2010 model. This I find strange. First registration was 3/11/2009.

From ETKA online sites I found that for dates >06/2009 I need 8P0953513F. Not D. So I hope to find any on eBay for cheap.

Lastly both a eBay dealer, the parts guy and of course @NHN said that I need a different control module. I need the 8P0953549K. (highline)
As @NHN mentioned, mine (1K0953549DB) might work but need to be tested.
So I think I will go for the 8P0953549K as well to be sure! By the way, 8P0953549K costs 290€ new. :blink:

Hi guys. I'm interested in doing this on my 2012 tdi sportback. I was going to just buy the "F" stalk and just hope that it works, or should I wait and get it scanned to see what steering ecu I have?

Hi guys. I'm interested in doing this on my 2012 tdi sportback. I was going to just buy the "F" stalk and just hope that it works, or should I wait and get it scanned to see what steering ecu I have?
You can check the steering ecu without scan. I managed to remove the top and lower trim without removing the steering wheel and checked the part number.

You can check the steering ecu without scan. I managed to remove the top and lower trim without removing the steering wheel and checked the part number.

Oh perfect, thanks! Where are the part numbers printed and how will I know which stalk I need, based upon the past number?

Oh perfect, thanks! Where are the part numbers printed and how will I know which stalk I need, based upon the past number?
When you remove the lower trim, you can see the steering module. The part number is on a sticker underneath. No need to remove it.
As for compatibility you can check this link.
You need Midline or Highline version for cruise control.
But if you already have MFSW, then you already have the Highline version.

Reactions: nick4501
I had to change my indicator/cruise stalk recently as it was faulty and found this video really helpful....

The only thing I’d add is use your fingers to unclip the steering slipring (rather than a screwdriver which is a bit brutal IMHO) and use some sticky tape to stop the slipring from rotating when you remove it ...

Before watching it the procedure to remove the steering control module /ECU had filled me with dread but after watching it all became clear...it helped me loads.

Reactions: nick4501
Well I attempted to pop off the lower trim to check the serial number of my steering module, but it didn't seem possible without removing the wheel (which I couldn't do because I'm lacking the tool). I do have a MFSW but I don't know exactly which stalk version to go for (B vs D vs F?!) . Does it even matter?!

If you have MFSW then you are ok regarding the steering module.
As for the lower trim, it has 2 bolts where it meets with the top trim. And 2 bolts from underneath. Top trim has to be removed first.
As for B, D or F, I think that D and F is the same. Not sure though. Check this.
B has different operation of light stalk than D and F.

There are 3 screws holding lower trim in place at its lower edge.
2 on the handle to alter reach/rake and 1 further up.

Well I attempted to pop off the lower trim to check the serial number of my steering module, but it didn't seem possible without removing the wheel (which I couldn't do because I'm lacking the tool). I do have a MFSW but I don't know exactly which stalk version to go for (B vs D vs F?!) . Does it even matter?!

I wouldn’t worry too much about what the part number of the stalk , just buy a cruise control kit applicable to your year of car.
My indicator stalk went kaput recently and as my car already had cruise I simply bought a Genuine pre-facelift cruise retrofit kit from Germany (of course I didn’t need the trim piece) , it cost me about £77 delivered which is cheaper than any UK supplier .
Because these indicator /cruise stalks are known to be problematic with age (see my problems here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-indicator-problem.409815/) I’d only recommend fitting a new unit if you are retro-fitting cruise .
The kit for the pre-facelift (upto 2009) is part number 8P0054690 and for the facelift 09-13 models is 8P0054690B.

Check this.
Two screws that you can see when the upper trim is removed.
And 3 total from underneath.

Attachments

• 6B900D2B-2CB1-4E48-90AE-51B37851E649.jpeg
    6B900D2B-2CB1-4E48-90AE-51B37851E649.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 289
I don’t need to check LOL, I did this job a few days ago.
There are 3 screws near the column adjustment handle , you said there were 2 in post #21.

The post was not for you to check since both you and me have already removed the trim.
It is meant for nick4501 who asked for help.

Hi guys. Thanks for all your replies. To answer the confusion, I did remove all lower screws, as well as the upper trim, but realised that I needed to remove these two screws too (see image), which I couldn't do without removing further parts so I just gave up.

I think my car is likely to have the "F" stalk model, so I'll just look out for one on ebay and then just use a Dremel on the existing lower trim to make the hole. Nessy, I did look for the full kit but it looks like it'll be about 3 times the cost and I just can't justify it so I'll roll the dice with a second hand one from ebay and hope it all goes to plan!

Attachments

• 20191229_162933.jpg
    20191229_162933.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 289
Hi guys. Thanks for all your replies. To answer the confusion, I did remove all lower screws, as well as the upper trim, but realised that I needed to remove these two screws too (see image), which I couldn't do without removing further parts so I just gave up.

I think my car is likely to have the "F" stalk model, so I'll just look out for one on ebay and then just use a Dremel on the existing lower trim to make the hole. Nessy, I did look for the full kit but it looks like it'll be about 3 times the cost and I just can't justify it so I'll roll the dice with a second hand one from ebay and hope it all goes to plan!

Those are the screws that hold the bottom trim in place..
You litteraly can push the top trim off and hold it up to unscrew those. If you don't unscrew those the bottom trim can't come off :blink:

Those are the screws that hold the bottom trim in place..
You litteraly can push the top trim off and hold it up to unscrew those. If you don't unscrew those the bottom trim can't come off :blink:

Nope, I had already removed the top trim and held it up to see the screws, but I couldn't get a torx bit in there without removing the wheel. No problem anyway, like I'll say - I'll roll the dice :thumbs up:

Not sure where you’re located but this is the stalk (pre-facelift ) that I bought....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-...916745?hash=item1a33f61c09:g:vFAAAOSwkklZoSAt

The seller also sells the facelift version (6/2009 onwards ) .....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-...783162?hash=item1c8fa1163a:g:bqsAAOSw5adZoW-g

They also sell both the above kits (slightly more expensive at about £115 plus carriage ) with the lower column trim.
Delivery was relatively quick from Germany, it took about 7 days to arrive.
I really wouldn’t fit a second-hand stalk , I didn’t know about the fault with them until recently when the stalk on my own car began to play up and I began to research online .

hi all, i also need to find the correct stalk, is mine a B ? ( 55 plate a3 1.6FSI ) ill try and get the module number tomo

Nope, I had already removed the top trim and held it up to see the screws, but I couldn't get a torx bit in there without removing the wheel. No problem anyway, like I'll say - I'll roll the dice :thumbs up:
Yeah indeed, you need to remove the steeringwheel. That litteraly a 2minute job mate. Look at the HOW-TO I've dumped in here with the pictures :D

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

@everyone asking for correct modules and stalk numbers..

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki..._Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Get yourself a VAGCOM cable and check the module name of your steeringwheelunit. After check the site above and see if your unit supports any stalk. If not you need to get a new steeringwheel unit too.

Best wishes to you all!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

Hello to all.
I hope you are all well and healthy these strange days.

I finally managed to source all the parts for Cruise Control and MFSW retrofit.
Cruise Stalk, steering module, MFSW buttons, airbag cable.
The slip ring already has the pins for the MFSW so I guess this is ok.

I am going for the retrofit tomorrow.

I was checking all available retrofit guides, and I have a question regarding the coding for cruise control.

This part is the same to all guides:
1. 16-Steering wheel
2. Coding - 07
3. 0xxxx?x

The problem is with the rest of the coding.
Here it is said to go to long coding and change to byte 5, bit 5 from 0 to 1.
Here it is said to go Motor-> coding->and Login: 11463 to activate CC
Here it is said something of a combination of the two.

I also found this: "After this coding change, the car needs to be off for 10 minutes for the changes to take effect."

My A3 is a 2010 model, 59 plate, production 09/2009.
Can please someone verify what I am going to face tomorrow?

The problem is with the rest of the coding.
Here it is said to go to long coding and change to byte 5, bit 5 from 0 to 1.
Here it is said to go Motor-> coding->and Login: 11463 to activate CC
Here it is said something of a combination of the two.

I also found this: "After this coding change, the car needs to be off for 10 minutes for the changes to take effect."

My A3 is a 2010 model, 59 plate, production 09/2009.
Can please someone verify what I am going to face tomorrow?

these two say to do the same thing.
difference is the 3rd link is only showing the CC in that link, 2nd link is showing how to do both MFSW and CC coding.

the byte 5, bit 5 coding is for older cars. yours should be what is in link 2 and 3, as in youll need to go into 16-steering wheel, and 01-engine.

i waited 30 seconds and tested and it worked.

Thanks samisnake!
That is what I Have found as well. The long code version is for prefacelift cars.
So I have to use the code 11463 in 01-engine.

Yes I know I also have to code the MFSW.
Thanks

So did the retrofit of the cruise control and MFSW buttons.
The cruise control works great.
The MFSW is not. I Also have airbag errors, and no horn.

Stalk: 8P0953513F (NEW)
Control module: 8P0953549K (USED)
MFSW Buttons: 4E0951527AHWEP and 4E0951527AJWEP (NEW)
Airbag cable: 8P0971589AD (NEW)

Here is the coding of the steering wheel module:
Cruise MFSW 02 NEW

Here is the error in Airbag. Cleaning the errors, does nothing:
Cruise MFSW 08

Here is the error in Steering wheel module. There where more errors, but after clearing the errors and reading again I have this:
Cruise MFSW 07

I also coded the radio. Not sure if needed. I added +2 to 0?x0xxx:
Cruise MFSW 06

Does anyone know what is wrong?
I suspect the airbag cable. Although it is brand new from the Audi dealership. Have I ordered the wrong part?

Plan for tomorrow is to check the old and new cable to check the location of the Pins of each cable.
I am also thinking to add the MFSW plug to my old cable as it is demonstrated here.

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

Best regards,
George

Greetings to all.

Found the problem.

The used steering control module, misses the female pins that connect to the slip ring.
Will try to find another online.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    911.1 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: samisnake