Cruise control retrofit 2010 a3

Marek196c

Gilera Runner / A3 Sportback
Reaction score
Hi guys today with @ROB64 we tried to retrofit Cruise control on his 2010 a3 s-line 170 tdi.
So the stalk we used was from pre fl (2005 i guess) a3. Anyway we mounted it, everything went preety straight forward, as car already got MFSW I'm sure it was correct module is fitted.
So I've done coding:
on SW module changed the pre last bit from 1 to 4 so it was looking xxxxx4x (computer and cruise). on engine the "coding 2" - module 11 is not available so used "long coding" module 07, then long coding helper and in byte 4 or 5 instead of 05 (no cruise control) i used scroll menu to select cruise control and changed it automaticly to 25 then confirmed both and done test drive. Result: nothing happen, so checked on SW module and switch on off was working (seen changing value in 1st window on/off) but then tried on road again and tried from using resume, set, +, - and on all nothing. (obviously without touchnig clutch or brake pedal meanwhile).
So my question is: can be stalk faulty or got different pinout on connector?

If it's got a MFSW then there's no reason why it shouldn't work aslong as it's coded correctly and the stalk isn't faulty.
Why have you used a stalk from a prefacelift though if the car you have installed it on is a facelift? I'm sure if you don't use the right stalk the full beam headlights don't stay on.

lights all work ok just got no cruise control going to another stalk next Saturday to see if its the stalk thats Faulty

as said coding was on both steering wheel control module and engine. however the thing that was bothering me was stalk from pre facelift.
As well coding was on module of SW ending 4x (i think was 42) according to vcds was board computer and cruise.
On engine ecu long coding changing 5th or 4th byte from 05 to 25 (just by choice of enable cruise in scroll menu of helper). both codes accepted.

Different stalk for MY2010 onwards vehicles. Is the 10th character in the VIN a 9 or A?

in fact i was reccomending this 2 models: 8P0953513D or 8P0953513F but think that F should the proper one.

Reactions: ROB64
Yes it needs the later one, always check via the VIN the part needed, don't rely on online parts catalogues with no VIN search.

What is the part number of the SWCM? Any DTC's?

Reactions: ROB64 and Marek196c
I didn't choose them as well got filling that can't work, but he couldn't find other ones for reasonable price. so we will looking for F ones then. cheers pal.

You don't need a new module. If the car has a MFSW that works properly then it already has the right module for cruise control aswell.
It's just a simple upgrade of installing the right stalk and then coding it in.
I know this as I did it on my facelift a3 a couple of month back.
Facelift a3's don't use the module that ends in 'F' either, that module is a highline module for prefacelift a3's.

Reactions: Marek196c
You don't need a new module. If the car has a MFSW that works properly then it already has the right module for cruise control aswell.
It's just a simple upgrade of installing the right stalk and then coding it in.
I know this as I did it on my facelift a3 a couple of month back.
Facelift a3's don't use the module that ends in 'F' either, that module is a highline module for prefacelift a3's.
if you read carefully ending F is about stalk not control unit, the unit is ending k, as well coding should be right, done it also on my pre facelift a3 and working well. In fact we don't asking if the module is right but if stalk is compatible.

thanks for advice, so that mean we need F ending stalk, as module is highline.

however on your website is mentioned Steering Wheel CU: 1K0 953 549 AH, on VCDS I read: 8P0 953 549 K, the ones starting with 1k0 that I can find are: Steering Assist, ABS Brakes, CAN Gateway, Battery Regulator. the nearest mathing the SWCUI on Ross tech web page is:
3C0-953-549-K ¦ SW 0015 ¦ Highline ¦ 1.3 ¦ -

The module you have in the car is fine, you just need the later stalk.

Reactions: ROB64 and Marek196c
Ok looking for F version then. Cheers everybody for help.

if you read carefully ending F is about stalk not control unit, the unit is ending k, as well coding should be right, done it also on my pre facelift a3 and working well. In fact we don't asking if the module is right but if stalk is compatible.

Yes sorry my bad I read it wrong. Where it said model I thought it said module so I thought you were talking about the steering module.
As said above you definately need the stalk ending with 'F' for the facelift car.

Reactions: Marek196c