Cruise control question

Relliott6879

Reaction score
I've noticed that when significantly reducing the set speed on the cruise control (eg when coming into a 50 limit on the motorway) by holding down the stalk, the car slows fairly quickly, as though the brakes have been applied rather than just lifting off the throttle. I've often wondered whether this also triggers the brake lights to warn other drivers of the fairly rapid deceleration but, without having someone follow me and watch, I've no idea if this is the case. I just wondered if someone on here might know?

It does a combination of both depedning how much you are adjusting you speed.
Best way to test is a quiet dark county lane at night as you can see the glow of the brake light in the rear view mirror.

Yes the brake light does come on if you decelerate pretty hard. If you gradually reduce the CC speed, it will just come off throttle.

Reactions: Relliott6879
Happy days. I only ask as the Audi slows far quicker than my other car, which I think simply releases the throttle when you knock the cruise down.

The Mrs' Ford is the same, the cruise doesn't really react to changes.

Which CC? I had assumed this was a feature of the ACC only because it was linked to the brakes anyway, does it do it for the standard CC as well?

Short answer - yes :D

Reactions: Relliott6879 and cemerson
i've noticed this too and my car has ACC. If you're doing 70 and then go in to a 40 it brakes pretty hard!! Brake lights do come on though