Cruise control not working - brake light switch to blame?

skyegtb

Reaction score
Hello. I am a newowner of a 2001 Allroad 2.5tdi and other than the cruise control beinginoperational it seems to be just about a perfect car. I have been using my VAGCOM to check to seewhy the cruise control does not work and have tested all functions on the cruisestalk and the brake switch etc and everything seems fine. I have however had an intermittent (returning)fault in the ABS, but this is very infrequent:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4Z7 907389
Component:ABS/ESP allrad D57
Coding: 06355
Shop #: WSC02325
VCID:0912408F19A9

1 Fault Found:
18265 - Load Signal: Error Message from ECU
P1857 -35-10 - - - Intermittent

On 2 occasions in the last 1500 miles of driving the ABS,ESP and vehicle level lights started flashing while I was driving and my boostwas cut until I stopped the car and turned off / on. Am I right in thinking that that could be dueto a faulty brake light switch? Is theinoperational cruise control possibly linked to this as well? For info I have checked every fuse in thefuse box, all are good, and the brake lights certainly appear to workperfectly, so I am a little stumped.

I found some info elsewhere on the web about early A6cruise control modules developing dry joints in the solder. I have not checked my cruise module yet, butis this a know issue with the Allroad?

Looking for any advice, thanks, Angus

if the car has a manual box , it could be the clutch switch

Wont be the brake switch as if this was faulty the brake light would be permentantly on.

Could possibly be the clutch switch, though I also suspect the ABS fault could well be preventing the CC system from working.

OK, that's what I'm starting to think myself. I will keep monitoring the situation but I suppose a new ABS module will be on the cards for the future....
Wont be the brake switch as if this was faulty the brake light would be permentantly on.

Could possibly be the clutch switch, though I also suspect the ABS fault could well be preventing the CC system from working.