Cruise Control Fitting - How easy to fit actual parts - advice needed

Custardsucker

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Looking at fitting Cruise to my Avant. I am after some advice on how easy it is to fit the actual parts to the car i.e. removing the air bag and steering wheel and then fitting the stalk and cowl and refitting the airbag.
I know that it will then require enabling with VCDS to get it to work.
My car is fitted with the driver information stalk on the right hand side that shows tank range, mpg and various other information.
Any advice will be useful.

it takes less than an hour to fit the parts and thats takeing your time

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you don't have a multi-function steering wheel then you may need a new steering wheel control module as well.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you don't have a multi-function steering wheel then you may need a new steering wheel control module as well.

some have the correct swcm fitted most dont

some have the correct swcm fitted most dont

if you have a multifunctions about steering wheel and DIS then its about £25 for the stalk and casing.. however if your not confident in removing the airbag and steering wheel then its not recommended, you do need to remove the steering wheel to add the stalk i cant remeber the exact number for the steering wheel control unit but if its not the right one its over 200 for the part

other than that its a really easy fit, remove airbag, steering wheel, clip new stalk in and code away :)

The parts cost me nearer £100, 80 odd if I remember correctly.
I have the mfsw so didn't need to worry about the steering wheel control module. There are loads of guides telling you what tools you need, the main 2 being M12 spline tool and a very small torx that is about 60 mm long.

Chris

£300 for cruise?! Jeez. It cost me £12 for a stalk and £20 for the cowling. Got a slip ring, indicator and washer stalk and SWCM for £80.

£300 for cruise?! Jeez. It cost me £12 for a stalk and £20 for the cowling. Got a slip ring, indicator and washer stalk and SWCM for £80.

yep definatly only cost me £25 - stoke audi sorted me out, tho they were kinda confused about the stalk i needed but they came through..

they wanted 199 to code it.. im sorry but just for one of there numpty technicians to plug a cable in and type a few your better off getting a vag-com cable i got a cheap $8 one from china and did the job with no problems..:)

Thanks Guys. I've priced the stalk and cowl at approx £50 from dealers.

Has anybody had any issues with removing and installing the Airbag?

Also, can anybody tell me how to code it once connected.

Custard do you have the part numbers for what you got ?? and which delaers did you get it from ?? that seems reasonable :)

Thanks Guys. I've priced the stalk and cowl at approx £50 from dealers.

Has anybody had any issues with removing and installing the Airbag?

Also, can anybody tell me how to code it once connected.

Just the cowl from Derby Audi was over £30. I didn't price the stalk as I already have one but I'm sure it'd be more than £20!!

Funkycliff, I got the part numbers of my ETKA they are Stalk 4E0 953 521 B priced at £24.50 & Lower Cowl 8E0 953 512 P priced at £25.75
These are the parts i think i need but haven't ordered them yet and can't guarantee they are correct. Will probably order later next week, so will be able to confirm then. They will come direct from TPS as I have a friend in the trade who gets all my parts, but I think these retail prices.
Hope this helps.

I too am tempted to getthis done on my B7 Cab.
Already have the MF wheel and tiptronic