Cruise control and brake lights

1oldaudi

Reaction score
Question:
Cruise control is set to 70. I use the cruise control stick to reduce the speed. Do the brake lights come on to show I’m slowing.

I can’t really tell from inside the car but I do know if I use the brake pedal that I can see the centre brake light illuminate but it doesn’t appear to if I just slow with cruise control.

I’ve never worked out if it applies the brakes or just slows using engine speed. Anyone know? Thanks

Question:
Cruise control is set to 70. I use the cruise control stick to reduce the speed. Do the brake lights come on to show I’m slowing.

I can’t really tell from inside the car but I do know if I use the brake pedal that I can see the centre brake light illuminate but it doesn’t appear to if I just slow with cruise control.

I’ve never worked out if it applies the brakes or just slows using engine speed. Anyone know? Thanks

In that instance I am certain it will just use the engine to slow you down.

You will only get friction braking if you have the adaptive cruise control in the driver assistance package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my B8.5, if the current speed was significantly higher than the cruise setting it would apply the brakes, like if you’re doing 70mph and set 50mph on the cruise and activate it. It would also do it on a decline if the car started getting too much higher than the set speed.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and maui
Yes that’s true, it will use brakes to regulate speed on decline, forgot about that edge case

Reactions: Daggerit
And the brake lights will show then, obviously...

Reactions: Daggerit
Will they though? Brake pedal actions brake light surely?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I don’t know how the system works but the cars can definitely activate the brake light indispensably if the pedal being physically pushed.

If they couldn’t then the adaptive cruise would cause a lot of accidents when it applied the brakes!

I don't have adaptive cruise control just a normal one but if I reduce the speed lets say from 70 to 50 then the car will not apply any brakes. It will just slowly coast to the new speed just like taking your foot off the accelerator. I'm sure the brake lights do not come on for that. I don't have any experience with adaptive cruise control but It might be different like in traffic when the car might need to make sudden changes in speed and apply brakes. For that I would assume the light will come on to warn other drivers of sudden speed change.

I don't have adaptive cruise control just a normal one but if I reduce the speed lets say from 70 to 50 then the car will not apply any brakes. It will just slowly coast to the new speed just like taking your foot off the accelerator. I'm sure the brake lights do not come on for that. I don't have any experience with adaptive cruise control but It might be different like in traffic when the car might need to make sudden changes in speed and apply brakes. For that I would assume the light will come on to warn other drivers of sudden speed change.

Yes, I was just using the adaptive system to say that the car is actually capable of lighting the rear lights without the pedal being physically pushed.

They must've changed the way that the systems activate between the generations because mine would definitely hit the brakes to slow the vehicle if there was a large difference between the current speed of the car and the speed the cruise is set at. Only noticed it because I was driving at night and illuminated the signs behind me. :)

Will they though? Brake pedal actions brake light surely?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
If hill hold activates the lights then any activation of the brakes will also do so. I believe this was tested to be true in the A3 8V section...