Creaky Steering

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
Since getting my A3 back from the service and mot, the steering seems creaky does sound rubbery if that makes sense), especially on full lock. doesnt do it all the time. could it be dry top mounts?

I know they had all my wheels off during the service.

No, would that cause creaky noises. read stories about steering racks making noises. Also when the car went into Audi they did a complete wheel allignment and said it was in the red and now all in the green, however my steering wheel is very slightly off centre when driving straight and the car very very slightly wants to go to the left. I took it back and they said they redid it and its spot on but still the wheel is very very slightly off centre and very very slighty wants to go to the left, towards the kerb.

Always good practice to check nuts after a tyre change or when a wheel is taken off/on after something like 50 miles. I’m quite anal about this stuff cause I’ve driven away from a dealer with the 2 front wheels nuts not tight. Sometimes they just rattle it on with air gun so can’t feel if it’s tight or not.
Natural camber of our roads are to the left so a very slight shift to left is normal. Any more than that is not right.
Wheel off centre is poor operator/mechanic when alignment was done. They didn’t centre it properly and locked it down before they started the alignment. Everything might be green cause wheels is pointing the right way but it’s no good if the steering wheel isn’t right. This would annoy the cr4p out of me.

Reactions: JohnM100
Take it back and show them. You paid for the service and now fight for it to be right

Steering rack on my A3 (18 plate) creaks going from lock to lock.

Had this on a Golf MK5 also, that car had three steering racks in it from new (had it around 15 month from new).

It’s a nightmare when it comes back from a service with an issue! Not trying to hijack this thread but occasionally when I steer round a roundabout I get a loud cracking noise when I turn the wheel. I’m 99% sure the noise is inside the car, around the steering column area. Any ideas would be great.

Mines does it when turning at a stop, I think it’s the top mounts.

@Marky79 Ok thanks. This is gonna sound silly but is that something to speak to Audi about?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marky79
Pop the bonnet and get an assistant to turn the wheels lock to lock whilst you listen to the top mounts - you'll soon know if they're at fault! One of mine did this from new and was replaced under warranty. Made some horrible noises over speedbumps etc!

Reactions: Marky79
Yeah, mine does only when stopped. I actually thing its the brakes as it only does it with foot on brake pedal. Could be simply crap on my pads.