Creaky mmi screen

Jenks108

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone else had this problem? After 4000miles the mmi screen has begun creaking and squeaking when in the up position, even on quite smooth roads. Obviously not a huge problem, but not very Audi-like either....so its going in to tighten some screws on Friday.

Wondered if everyone's is doing this?

Cheers.

I've noticed the same, its quite annoying since everything else is so well built!

I would be interested to know how you get on.

Jenks108, did you get yours fixed, did it take long? Ours is squeaking more than ever so I guess its a trip to the dealers.

Mine makes the odd noise now and then, although I thought it was the B&O speaker grill behind it.

I get the odd rattle and creak every now and again but no idea where it's coming from!

Mine is definitely the MMI screen, if I hold it it goes away

Same problem with mine, started at around 5k on the clock, only notice it when the music is off though, and with the B & O system its rarely off so not bothered me enough to take in to get looked at.

When I first saw it I figured it was inevitable that this one moving part in the dashboard was bound to end up creaking, and creaking in the car drives me nuts! Hope they have a fix before I reach 4K miles...

Yes I had this issue. I thought it was down to heat being generated around that moving part causing the casing to expand and contract giving rise to the creaking sound. It has settled down now and I have done 6250 miles. If It becomes noticeable again I will have it looked at. Seems okay now. Perhaps just needed time to settle down.

I have exactly the same issue.that's really annoying! Is there any update?

I had it the one day and it was doing my head in. I pushed the top and the screen actually popped back in to the dash. I've not heard it since. I do play my music loud tho.

It's really annoying.It's like,it's the only thing I'm hearing now while driving :) I couldn't find any solution.You mean you pushed the screen from top towards the front window?

I just put pressure on the top. Not towards the window. Not a lot of pressure, I doubt it has fixed it to be fair, it will probably come back at some point.

A bit OT I know but can I ask if the screen pops up whenever you start the car or only when desired? If the former can you set it to stay down unless required?

Screen always pops up at startup unless MMI is switched off (so no radio/SD card music etc)

There is a button to retract the MMI display with the radio/media card still working but that only works until the next time the ignition is turned on when the display pops up again automatically.

It does not remember the "audio on but keep MMI retracted" at next start-up.

John.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. I wonder if that can be changed in VCDS?

Being able to remember the screen position between ignition off/on would be pretty nice. The car does it for a lot of other things so not sure why it wouldn't for this.

Same goes for music paused or not - music always starts even if you paused/muted it last time you turned off the car.

Is anyone find a solution? those creaks makes me mad!

I had it the one day and it was doing my head in. I pushed the top and the screen actually popped back in to the dash. I've not heard it since. I do play my music loud tho.

Thanks,I will try it.I hope it works

Took mine in to Derby Audi on Monday 24.03.14 for creaking mmi screen. They took it out and lubricated it, all seamed well until today now the creaking is back, very annoying.

The creaking on mine came back too, but now it's cured itself.

Apparently Audi changed our mechanism but it seems to have come back. I think it might be worse on sunny days. Most certainly it wasn't too bad over winter but now the sun has come out its getting worse again. Its so annoying sometimes I have to hide the display!

Pressing the screen down by hand silenced mine for a few days. This has been my only issue with the car since owning it apart from someone scraping by bumper whilst parked

Hi,

Has anyone else had this problem? After 4000miles the mmi screen has begun creaking and squeaking when in the up position, even on quite smooth roads. Obviously not a huge problem, but not very Audi-like either....so its going in to tighten some screws on Friday.

Wondered if everyone's is doing this?

Cheers.

If you let the dealership p*** about with the dash it will most likely come back worse - got personal experience with this...

I suggest you put the music up louder mate.

you can't put it louder than the noise

Anyway, I went already twice to the dealer, first time it went silent for 2 months then came back. This time they had a specifically made grease (what they said) by Audi Germany for this particular problem on the GPS. they know what part is causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
something I had for my phone, but the noise comes from the GPS screen

I have the the same noise about 20 days now at 22000km. I will ask to replace my screen, since it is within the warranty time.

Took my A3 back to Derby Audi again today, fingers crossed they cure it.

Got my A3 back yesterday, early yet but all seems well.
fitted me a new mmi mechanism then rigorously tested it.
Service and loan cars at Derby Audi very good even gave me a bottle of champagne for not fixing it the first time.
hope this helps