Creaky MMI screen surround

forty3

Reaction score
This something that's been driving me mad since I bought the car but only ever remember it's there on a long motorway journey.

Basically he surround for the MMI screen rattles / squeaks constantly whilst on the motorway. Applying pressure anywhere on the surround stops it but it comes back again as soon as you release the pressure.

Is there an easy way of removing the rim to pack something behind it or another easier solution?

Easiest solution is probably pulling it out and wrapping it all in... well I have no idea what's best to put on it to be honest :playful: I was going to say rubber but that may have the same effect, guess it's got to be something relatively thin that has no chance of making a noise like some chewing gum form of material... hmm... sorry I can't be of more assistance but that's the route I'd take.

When I worked at Lexus we used to use felt tape or a sticky padded thin foam like tape too!

Reactions: DieselJake
Have something similar on my non-MMI dashboard, mentioned in another thread on here and which I've yet to get around to fixing permanently.

My temporary fix is to wedge a bit of cardboard into the dash just above where the key slots in. The solutions mentioned above would probably do the job, if it's possible to remove the plastic surround.

The trim around the screen just pulls off, there is quite a bit of foam/felt tape behind it, might be worth sticking a bit more on if yours is squeaky, it might have worn through somewhere

Since you're going to take it apart you might want to upgrade your B8 to an almost B9:
http://cloud.tapatal...ist(public).pdf

I've been following Daniel's progress for some time and what he has achieved almost single handedly is nothing short of exceptional... Have a look...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Since you're going to take it apart you might want to upgrade your B8 to an almost B9:
http://cloud.tapatal...ist(public).pdf

I've been following Daniel's progress for some time and what he has achieved almost single handedly is nothing short of exceptional... Have a look...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That link isn't working for me, has he managed to put the b9 infotainment system into a b8?

Didn't realise it just pulled off and it came off without putting up too much of a fight.

Going to stick some thin bits of soft packing underneath before reassembling.

I had a squeak/rattle in the vent/speaker at centre windscreen. Pulled it out and just wrapped it with electrical tape. Has worked well so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I padded out behind the surround and refitted it but now I have an airbag warning light on the dash?

Typical Audi problems; fix one and get another haha try clear the code and see if it comes back.