Creaky door

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
One of the doors on the driver's side of my A3 makes a strange creaking sound under certain conditions. At first I thought it was the driver's door but it could be either. It seems to be related to body movement and I notice it in particular when I turn right in to my cul-de-sac and then right again when I turn on to my drive. Sometimes the noise appears as a go round small roundabouts. Just going along in a straight line on a reasonably smooth road and even over speed humps there is no noise at all.

Has any one else come across this and has their dealer managed to cure then problem. My A3 has so far been to the dealers three times with this problem but they don't seem to be able to sort it.

Had something similar that happened on a previous car of my parents when the door had been blown open one day in the wind and some had been slightly sprained . It used to creak over speed bumps.

We found a little grease applied to mounting points helped, dealer on that car (Nissan) didn't have a clue.

Had something similar that happened on a previous car of my parents when the door had been blown open one day in the wind and some had been slightly sprained . It used to creak over speed bumps.

We found a little grease applied to mounting points helped, dealer on that car (Nissan) didn't have a clue.
Interesting because my 'creaking' started after my driver's door mirror had be knocked on a corner by a van going the other way who was a little too close to the white line! I have some silicon grease spray that was recommended by the guys who fitted my powered garage door to lubricate the door. Perhaps I will try some of that on the hinges etc.

I'll second the bit about the door being blown open. Happened in a careless moment after just a few weeks and sprained is the perfect expression. Creaking didn't last though and quiet as a mouse in slippers now

So far my car has been back to the dealers 4 times for a total of 7 days and they have still not been able to cure the creaking. It's booked in for them to have another go next Wednesday. I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with it. At least next week they are loading me an A3 Saloon s-tonic so at least I will get the chance to try one.

At this rate I will end up changing it for another new one and purchasing it on a four year PCP. I've actually spoken to my sales guy and I could trade-in the existing car, keep £10k as cash and do a 48 month PCP at £250.58 per month which at the moment sounds quite attractive.

So far my car has been back to the dealers 4 times for a total of 7 days and they have still not been able to cure the creaking. It's booked in for them to have another go next Wednesday. I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with it. At least next week they are loading me an A3 Saloon s-tonic so at least I will get the chance to try one.

At this rate I will end up changing it for another new one and purchasing it on a four year PCP. I've actually spoken to my sales guy and I could trade-in the existing car, keep £10k as cash and do a 48 month PCP at £250.58 per month which at the moment sounds quite attractive.

I kept getting nasty noises from the doors as seen above because there's a link to an old thread I made

When my car went in I had a few things I wanted sorting - including this, well I asked if they could apply that seal protector which is like that gummi pledge rubbish however you spell it (it also didn't work) so they did, got it all in the gaps and folds too and it's still on at the moment, looks like a goo over the seals. I haven't heard it since, but from what you describe it might not be the same problem. Worth a try though?

My drivers side door creaks when it's raining. I've found out it is the window on the top rubber as the noise isn't there when I slightly open the window.

Very annoying but I will clean the window up and get some grease on the top outer rubber where it sits in closed position.

I went out for a short drive with a Master Tech on Friday and he said he could hear the sound. He is on a course Monday and Tuesday so it's going in again on Wednesday. He tends to drive the car quite gently so I will drive it with him on Wednesday morning and then leave it with them again. The have arranged for me to have an A3 Saloon with s-tronic whilst mine is with them so at least I will get a chance to drive a saloon. Not sure what engine it has.

I assume you have tried lubricating the door seals?
I've not actually done anything myself. As far as I'm concerned it's up to the dealer to solve the problem and I don't want to try anything myself that may make matters worse.

Any play in the hinges (can you lift the door up and down when open ?) or sign of contact on the latch striker bar that may suggest it's not set correctly ? With the door closed gently (not into the latch position) do the body feature lines line up ?

Any play in the hinges (can you lift the door up and down when open ?) or sign of contact on the latch striker bar that may suggest it's not set correctly ? With the door closed gently (not into the latch position) do the body feature lines line up ?
I tried to see there is any up/down movement in both drivers side doors but there does not appear to be any. It's in to the dealers again tomorrow and I will be interested to see if they can cure it.