Creaking Suspension

Leon

Reaction score
Hi All.

Looking for some advice with an odd problem I'm having with my car, 2000 S3 with 44K on the clock. Whenever I start off in the morning, or home from work the I don't hear any noises with the suspension at all, even if I'm going over speed bumps. At some point into the journey though a loud creaking noise appears from underneath the car (trust me I'm not really heavy and it isn't the seat!) which is induced by any body movement. In particular, when the front wheels go over a speed bump (on either wheel, makes no difference) it is very noticable. I don't however hear any noise when the rear wheels go over the hump?

I am hoping it is something like the shocks which may have gone, unusual for the mileage but possible. Has anyone had similar issues or have any thoughts?

Cheers

This is going to be the bushes. There have been a couple of posts about this recently - one even had the same title. Try using the search /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Indeed, I seem to have the same problem. Diagnosis => bushes. Will have them changed after holliday and see if this is the problem.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leon said:
Hi All.

Looking for some advice with an odd problem I'm having with my car, 2000 S3 with 44K on the clock. Whenever I start off in the morning, or home from work the I don't hear any noises with the suspension at all, even if I'm going over speed bumps. At some point into the journey though a loud creaking noise appears from underneath the car (trust me I'm not really heavy and it isn't the seat!) which is induced by any body movement. In particular, when the front wheels go over a speed bump (on either wheel, makes no difference) it is very noticable. I don't however hear any noise when the rear wheels go over the hump?

I am hoping it is something like the shocks which may have gone, unusual for the mileage but possible. Has anyone had similar issues or have any thoughts?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an identical creak to that Leon.

Was identified by Audi as anti roll bar bushes. Seeing as the car is still under warranty they will be replacing both front ant roll bar and bushes. Am booked in next Friday 30th to have both replaced.

The downside is I've had to wait 7 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif for the anti roll bar to be delivered as there weren't any standard available in the country.

Will report back once it's done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Chimmo - looks like I'll have to book mine in as well, reassuring to know what the problem is. I'm assuming Audi told you it was safe to drive the car while you waited for the parts to arrive?

Cheers
Leon

They never mentioned anything about it being dangerous. They said the creak is to do with the bushes 'wearing', therefore the anti roll bar effectively rubbing (under pressure ie speed humps etc) against them. I think this is the reason they have decided to replace the anti roll itself aswell as the bushes.

Cheers

Ben

Sorry Chimmo, my last msg wasn't clear. My car is booked in on Weds 28th for the work.

Bedford Audi gave me exactly the same explanation that you got.

I had this problem around 6 months ago too, which was cured under warrenty. Was told it was bushes then too. Not sure how many bushes there are (front/rear?)

I'll let you know how I get on

i've fixed my supposed suspension creak. It turned out that it was nothing to do with the suspension. The centre exhaust pipe is held up by a bracket that the pipe is welded too. The weld had broken so when ever i went over a bump the exhaust pipe rattled against the bar under the car. All i did was used a jubilee clip to secure it

[ QUOTE ]
gilbo said:

Bedford Audi gave me exactly the same explanation that you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gilbo, that's a coincidence as it was Bedford Audi who told me that too!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It must be their standard response for creaky suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Is it Bedford where you're having the work done? Have you had any work done there before? If so, what is your impression the 'team'?

@Leon, I spoke to AmD about getting the poly bushes fitted - they quoted me about £250. Will probably get it done at my next service.

Got the car into Bedford Audi today.

replaced bushes and anti-roll bar - all good now!

Still got to sort erratic idle as they couldn't find a problem though.....

dont mean to be rude lads but i think mine needs this. how much did it cost you?

thanks

Hmm might have to take mine in for them to have a look then if it's being done as a recall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mines just started making that creaking noise going over speed bumps to, it doesnt do it over other bumps though and stranglely not over the one where i work.I'll be getting it booked in on monday as warranty runs out soon, ****** thing.

Hi there!

How strange is that? I am taking my car to Bedford Audi on Wednesday for the ssme problem, they have replaced the ARBS once already but this didn't rectify the noise, maybe bushes next. Just had the APR 6 Hour trial from the TT shop round the corner and am nothing short of impressed!

Ant

Morning,

Just got mine back from the garage, they had to replace the haldex/diff on the S3, £3000.00 was the bill. Thank god I had the extended warranty, best £400.00 I ever spent!!!

All the creaks, groans and clunks have gone which is nice and the car is running well, it certainly came into it's own after last nights torrential downpour.

[ QUOTE ]
jesterS3 said:
Morning,

Just got mine back from the garage, they had to replace the haldex/diff on the S3, £3000.00 was the bill. Thank god I had the extended warranty, best £400.00 I ever spent!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Better start to drive slower then.

[ QUOTE ]
jesterS3 said:
Morning,

All the creaks, groans and clunks have gone which is nice and the car is running well, it certainly came into it's own after last nights torrential downpour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything to do with your recent accident?

Rich

Got mine booked in for roll bar and bushes, very strnge thing is that theyve got them in stock just have to wait till a week on wednesday to get a courtesy car.i asked how much it would be if it wasnt coverd by warrenty answer was just over £500 the ar*e nearly fell out of my pants again seeing it just had £1300 on replaicing cam timing chain and tensioner.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jesterS3 said:
Morning,

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything to do with your recent accident?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunatley not, the accident was just cosmetic damage. The crash bar and subframe are all intact and lovely. They couldn't explain why or how it may have happened. Unfortunaltey I will be none the wiser as the part has been shipped off to Audi to be checked.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jesterS3 said:
Morning,

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Better start to drive slower then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, keep on going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif The haldex has been pre tested and run so just jump in and crack on was the comment on how to drive it

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
Got mine booked in for roll bar and bushes, very strnge thing is that theyve got them in stock just have to wait till a week on wednesday to get a courtesy car.i asked how much it would be if it wasnt coverd by warrenty answer was just over £500 the ar*e nearly fell out of my pants again seeing it just had £1300 on replaicing cam timing chain and tensioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's weird. My dealer (Northampton Audi) said £200. No wonder we call them stealers!!

Its a good job i aint paying for it of course you get the usal rubish of they have todo the wheel alinement because they take the front end of and all that and labour is £75 an hour (its a bargin).Think i'm going to set up tobe a grease monkey me self and charge £70 an hour get parts off e-bay i'll be laughing all the way to the bank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

they dont pay us that though £70 an hour would be lovely, unfortunately £10 n hour is about the best we get, to the top of my knowledge we charge 3hrs labour and parts on top, labour rate of £87 per hour, it takes the best part of 2 hours to do quicker when you have done a few!! really you should have to do the 4 wheel alignment but if you pt the frame back in the same place then it is normally ok,and as for dealers saying that you should have to do a 4 wheel alignmen they are correct, the machine cannot be cheated any more by skipping the unneeded measurements, you have to follow the full programme! therefore is why we charge 2 hrs to do this job. but if you dont want it done then just say!!but dont blame me when your tyres start wearing irregularly!

Well, my nice silver S3 has started creaking from the underneath when I go over the brick
speed bumps in the business park I work in. So, it's booked to go into Lomond Audi in Glasgow
to be looked over on Thursday.

Let's see what they say about it ?

Anyone had their cars in for the suspension at Lomond before ?

Roy.

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
they dont pay us that though £70 an hour would be lovely, unfortunately £10 n hour is about the best we get, to the top of my knowledge we charge 3hrs labour and parts on top, labour rate of £87 per hour, it takes the best part of 2 hours to do quicker when you have done a few!! really you should have to do the 4 wheel alignment but if you pt the frame back in the same place then it is normally ok,and as for dealers saying that you should have to do a 4 wheel alignmen they are correct, the machine cannot be cheated any more by skipping the unneeded measurements, you have to follow the full programme! therefore is why we charge 2 hrs to do this job. but if you dont want it done then just say!!but dont blame me when your tyres start wearing irregularly!

[/ QUOTE ]I'm glad to here that they cant cheat the machine and i'd prefer to pay the technitions or whatever there called nowa days rather than stealers gettin such a large share as long as job gets done right.

After reading these posts i am peed off!

I have exactly the same knocking noise on me 2000 S3, it was viewed under warranty donkeys ok but they couldn't find a problem. Yes I should have caused some stink then! And I have been living with the noise ever since.

Now the car is almost four years old and out of warrenty. This noise has been with me a heck of a long time and I feel a little cheated by the people who should have known more than me. Can i go back to Audi and demand they replace the rear bushes?

I wont be very happy with a 200 quid bill for something that should have been sorted in warranty

Cheers
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

you can try as it was reported whilst in warranty but dont hold your breath, you must understand that just because it happens on you it might not happen when the tech looks at the vehicle!!! trust me ive been there!!

Doh!!

Had my S3 a few weeks and the front left side has started to creak and seams to be slowly getting worse, and its 2k out of cover.

Has anyone done the bushes/link rods themselves ? that can write a quick how to, with the parts , part no's and the costs?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I posted one of the other threads about this problem, I've had a right giggle with the dealers over the last month, and it's not finished yet!!!

Had the service done at aston green audi in slough, guy came with me on test drive to hear / feel the faults. He agreed with my conclusion that is is probably the ARB and bushes, but would get someone to check and quote. also I had a loose / knocking feeling from the steering (see later). they couldn't fix the problem that day and couldn't offer to fix it until the following week when I was down in plymouth so no help there...

Went into plymouth Audi (as the phones are useless, same with slough) and explained I had a quote from slough and just needed the work done, so they said they would contact slough and find out which parts were needed... week and a half later after a number of calls and visits, I told them to give up with aston green in slough and re diagnose the problems...

For anyone that's still reading... especially those about to spend money on the ARB issue... don't!!! I said I wanted to have a look under the car with the technicians, it was at this point I realised the people down here in plymouth actually do have brains! They were great... we (me and most of the mechanics) we're looking at the different faults, the track rod ball joint on the drivers side was very dangerous the worst one they had ever seen, let aston green let me drive the car away...

And as for the creaking sound (mine was always from the back of the car) it is clearly coming from the bushes on the lower suspension arms, not the ARB!!! which might explain why you guys have had no luck with changing those! the garage didn't even want to replace them straight away they want to try cleaning them first, and see if that helps, will let you all know on thursday!

Other than that the plymouth guys are great and made my car safe to drive before the end of the day, even though I'd only got there at 12pm...

sorry this goes on for a while, just wanted to share my experiences, especially as there are lots of people that could be spending lots of money on the wrong parts!

cheers, this forum is fantastic!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Thanks for the update my S3 is going into Glos AUDI on Friday. So will update you all on what they do or do not see. I did also take this up with AUDI HQ in milton Keynes, they will look into payments if any faults are found.

I also called Forge about this, they are not aware of this problem with the A3/S3 range however they did suggest that a soapy solution on the busshes is a good way to see if its the bushes. If the creaking noise goes the bushes are at fault.

later

Well, that's my S3 just been brought back to me from the dealers.

They are ordering a new Anti-roll bar and bushes for the front suspension and hopefully I should have them on the car in the next couple of weeks.

Just had the anti-roll bar and bushes replaced on my S3 today. Its like a new car again. I had it done at Swindon Audi who were excellent in every way. Total cost was £189.15 (£61.98 for bar and bushes, £99 labour and then the dreaded VAT.) This included pick/drop off from my workplace and a good clean in and out.
They only charged me for an hour and a bits labour, and asking around most places would of charged anything upto 3 or 4 hours so I hope I got a bargain.
Well happy.