Creaking noise in Avant Boot

Hafizkam

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2014 a6 avant

There is a annoying creak in the boot.
I have stripped the boot down
Spare wheel..covers..spanners etc etc all out.

Taken the rear parcel shelf out etc and still no joy.

Today completely took the interior boot trims apart but still the creak is there.

On weight transfer when turning left or right and over bumpy surfaces there is creaking from the boot area

Seems like NSR area
Please Help

I’m 99.9% sure it will be the rubber bump stops, common problem especially on Allroads with air suspension, don’t know what yours is.

Have a read of this write up I did a while ago;

Had to do this to my recently purchased 2016 Biturbo Allroad with 40k on it.

Really easy to do, jack up, remove wheel (I did both sides, even though it was only the N/S squeaking), use a medium flat blade screwdriver to “unseat” the bump stop and grasp hard and twist/pull down. It will eventually come out of its housing, don’t butcher it and tear the rubber material. Use a big flat blade screwdriver, or similar to scrape out the worst of the whitish aluminium corrosion, I then cleaned up as best as I could with an abrasive pad, I suppose you could use a pot scourer type thing as well.
I then coated the outside of the bump stop with red rubber grease (which won’t attack the rubber over time), you can buy little tubs cheaply on a certain auction website. Make doubly sure the bump stop is fully inserted all the way back into the housing when refitting.
I was quite sceptical that this fix wouldn’t work, but it does, lovely and silent now. All credit to whoever discovered this fix.

Hi

I have a 2014 a6 avant

There is a annoying creak in the boot.
I have stripped the boot down
Spare wheel..covers..spanners etc etc all out.

Taken the rear parcel shelf out etc and still no joy.

Today completely took the interior boot trims apart but still the creak is there.

On weight transfer when turning left or right and over bumpy surfaces there is creaking from the boot area

Seems like NSR area
Please Help
I get the same creaking noise you describe and think its the tailgate interior plastic trim surrounds. These seem fairly lightweight in comparison to the rest of the car. I've not taken anything apart yet. Reckon its the left and right trims either side of the rear window when the boot is open.

I’m 99.9% sure it will be the rubber bump stops, common problem especially on Allroads with air suspension, don’t know what yours is.

Have a read of this write up I did a while ago;

Had to do this to my recently purchased 2016 Biturbo Allroad with 40k on it.

Really easy to do, jack up, remove wheel (I did both sides, even though it was only the N/S squeaking), use a medium flat blade screwdriver to “unseat” the bump stop and grasp hard and twist/pull down. It will eventually come out of its housing, don’t butcher it and tear the rubber material. Use a big flat blade screwdriver, or similar to scrape out the worst of the whitish aluminium corrosion, I then cleaned up as best as I could with an abrasive pad, I suppose you could use a pot scourer type thing as well.
I then coated the outside of the bump stop with red rubber grease (which won’t attack the rubber over time), you can buy little tubs cheaply on a certain auction website. Make doubly sure the bump stop is fully inserted all the way back into the housing when refitting.
I was quite sceptical that this fix wouldn’t work, but it does, lovely and silent now. All credit to whoever discovered this fix.

Thanks for this. Will try on Tuesdayand update

I get the same creaking noise you describe and think its the tailgate interior plastic trim surrounds. These seem fairly lightweight in comparison to the rest of the car. I've not taken anything apart yet. Reckon its the left and right trims either side of the rear window when the boot is open.

I completely took all the plastic trim surrounds off today and drove the car without. Creaking noise was still there. So defo not boot related.
Going give the bump stops a go and then will update. Its very annoying.

And oh btw mine is a normal 2.0 tdi avant. Not allroad.

Cheers

My car's too new for the bump stops to be the cause, only covered 19K, car registers June 18. Thanks for sharing your findings, I'll do the same to hunt the creaking down!

Hello.

I have carried out the Bump stop procedure today.
There was white corrosion.
Scraped it all off as per above instructions.
Cleaned with a scourer type pad.
Red Rubber Grease on the outside of the bumpstops. And pushed back up.
However noise is still there.

Creaking very annoying

Any help appreciated

Reactions: SBJ
Hello.

I have carried out the Bump stop procedure today.
There was white corrosion.
Scraped it all off as per above instructions.
Cleaned with a scourer type pad.
Red Rubber Grease on the outside of the bumpstops. And pushed back up.
However noise is still there.

Creaking very annoying

Any help appreciated

I'm going to fold the seats down and drive around to see if its related. I had thought it was the rear window trim surrounds but you've proved they aren't responsible. Have you tried the plastic boot lid inside panel (behind the number plate) where the warning triangle lives? I've convinced myself its in that area!

Just to clarify, the creaking/cracking/ticking sound is coming from the rear of the car and occurs (for me) when driving over poor road surfaces (expansion joints on bridges etc) on dual carriageways. It's not an external sound but a trim flex type of sound, not a rattle.

I'm going to fold the seats down and drive around to see if its related. I had thought it was the rear window trim surrounds but you've proved they aren't responsible. Have you tried the plastic boot lid inside panel (behind the number plate) where the warning triangle lives? I've convinced myself its in that area!

Just to clarify, the creaking/cracking/ticking sound is coming from the rear of the car and occurs (for me) when driving over poor road surfaces (expansion joints on bridges etc) on dual carriageways. It's not an external sound but a trim flex type of sound, not a rattle.

Thats correct. Exact same sound.
I have tried all the panels.
Removed every single one.
So when you lift the boot the panel behind the reg plate..the 2 x side panels side of the window and the top panel behind the brake light basically.

All removed and driven.
Noise was still there.

Went out in the car today and heard the same creaking again. Convinced its the rear tailgate surround because it makes the exact same sound when I pressed the top trim from inside the car leaning over the rear seats into the boot. However, I'm aware you said you removed that trim and the noise persisted. Not sure what else it can be. My car is in the garage on Thursday for an MMI upgrade (8Gb apparently) to fix intermittent bluetooth media disconnects. I'll ask if they have any TSBs on the creaking.

I have removed all the interior plastic trims in the boot....so all the inside of the tailgate itself basically.

Had a nudge around the metal...and wiring etc...nothing there that i can see

Removed rear load cover...pull up net...spare tyre cover...jack set ...spare wheel...etc etc all removed too

I have driven 65 miles without it all in... and creaking noise still there

Over bumpy surface...and when i turn right at a 45degree angle...the weight transfer causes alot of creaking too.

Any updates from you please?

Ok, that's pretty comprehensive to eliminate the trim etc. I spent some time earlier this evening with the tailgate open pushing, pulling, pressing the rear window trims and could replicate the creaking I hear. This obviously isn't the same as yours if you've removed the trim. Not sure where that leaves things!
I've used some foam pads wedged under the trim to see it that places pressure in the right areas to stop the creaking.

Just a thought, I had something similar on a previous car with the rubber seals on the polished paintwork. Had to use silicone spray.

Thanks for the reply.

Going get it up on the ramp again over the weekend then take things from there

Hello.
Update....
It is FIXED.
I am over the moon.

Spent an hour stripping the whole boot down again. Still noise was there.
Put it all back together noise was still there.

All of a sudden had a brain wave...leave the boot open. So i

Drove up and down the street with my boot open...there was NO NOISE...this indicated to me it is Tailgate Related.

So parked on drive.
Opened the tailgate.
Then as you look at the car
On the left and right of the car itself as boot is open there are 2 adjustable rubber knob type things...twisted them to open them up abit.

They were jammed so i unscrewed the 2 screws and manually did it in my hands..

Screwed back on..

Tested that that boot closes fine etc and lights line up...all perfect.

Went on Test Drive ...The Noise has gone.
Basically the Boot Lock was rattling against the Latch on the car where it closes.

Now i have adjusted the 2 rubber knobs...one on each side of the boot...the rattling has stopped. I cant believe it after all i went through.

I hope you manage to do the same and fix it as simple as mine was. Lol.

Let me know thanks.

And I looked at those rubber adjusters and left them alone as the shut lines are perfect so any change might upset this. However, it if had stopped the creaking, I'll have a play! Did you turn them inward to reduce their respective height or outward to increase the shut gap?

Thanks for your updates!

I rotated them outwards to increase the shut gap.

First i did them quite a bit so you could see 2 grooves of the screw on the rubber.

Boot didnt align up correctly and lights were slightly off....but only slightly

So i opened the rubber things back up again and rotated inwards slightly so 1.5 grooves were only visible.

By grooves i means the lines on the screw from the rubber to the metal things itself.

All is perfect now.
Perfect boot shut
Perfect light alignment
And no rattling any more

i had something similar, car was still in warranty so i sent it back to audi and they tightened the boot release catch, the creaking came back after a few weeks so they replaced the part and its been fine since

I've adjusted the left hand rubber stopper and will see if it stops the creaking.

I had/have the same issue. Dismantled all the boot lid etc. Still creaking.
Adjusted the rubber stoppers way out, so the boot lid wasn't flush with the body. This did seem to help. So I removed the aluminium strip at the bottom (beware - you will break / lose clips in the process) and was able to adjust the catch at the bottom and presto: no more creaks!

I must have OCD going on regarding my cars, but for normal people you are probably right

I must have OCD going on regarding my cars, but for normal people you are probably right
Then I'm not normal either! Have all but given up attempting to eradicate the creaking from the tailgate. Next attempt will be a warm summers day...

Have the same issue now in my Avant.
Removed the net and others still there so will have a go at the solutions here .

Mine turned out to be the boot lock itself, I found pushing down on the tailgate when it was closed replicated the noise, good old coat of spray on grease inside all the mechanism sorted it