Creaking front suspension

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
I replaced the spring on my other halfs A3 last year after it snapped. After I replaced it, I noticed there was a creaking noise.
I thought it was the strut top bearing as the broken spring had jammed into the bearing. So I replaced the top bearing and top mount a couple of weeks ago. Since then, the noise has gotten worse!

Last night i took it all apart again and I still cannot find anything wrong. Could it just be a bad new top mount?

It creaks when driving along, doesn't need to be bumpy. You get the noise and vibration through the spring if you turn the steering whilst stood still too.

Please help! Driving me mad.

I have this same issue. I haven’t looked at it yet but I suspected it was my top mount. I recently had the spring and CV joint replaced as they failed but the noise is still there!

I assumed it’s the top mount as this is the only part that hasn’t been replaced. Although, as you've just mentioned, you’ve replaced your top mount and the noise is still there...

Mine only creaks at slower speeds (up to 15-20 mph) when turning.

If you ever find the course I’d appreciate if you could update this thread, the noise drives me mad too!

Was a quality top mount used and was it torqued up properly?
If I remember correctly the torque for the front shock absorber top nut is 44lbs/ft and needs to be exact.
If it’s wrong it can cause all sorts of noises , according to my research on here before doing this job on my own car a few weeks ago.
I used Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks and Lemforder mounts and all is silent.

Reactions: kiz17