Crashed Audi Loan Car

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

While my A3 is with Audi, I was given a loan A1 Sportback to use while my car is in the workshop....

..... I was wiped out by a van who swerved from lane one into lane three because he sneezed. Damage says it all:
9b39a937b059851a8ce8f8c370268954.jpg
c631e25daedebc813639bfa63b781513.jpg
681115835f0967b8e6141e6663d52674.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn
As long as you're ok that's the main thing!. Bath Audi will have one less available loan car for a while then lol.

Reactions: The Kendragon and Audi Bairn
At least it wasn't your a3!

Reactions: jimojameso, The Kendragon, James.B8 and 3 others
At least you're okay. It's only a metal box at the end of the day!

Glad you're ok mate, that's the main thing as the guys have said above.
I assume it's on the dealers insurance too?
Tell them to give you an RS now as, if they had done that in the first place you'd have been further up the road and therefore not in the accident............. worth a try :whistle2:

Reactions: Reggieboy71, azibux1, glospete and 8 others
Tell them to give you an RS now as, if they had done that in the first place you'd have been further up the road and therefore not in the accident............. worth a try :whistle2:

Hahaha, I can see that conversation going well!

"As I've just binned the first loaner you gave me, can I have an RS now please?" :D

Reactions: jimojameso, AudiNutta, The Kendragon and 1 other person
what's the excess on the loan cars...isn't it huge?

Glad you're ok though!

Reactions: The Kendragon
Yikes! Not cool mate, glad your alright.

Hopefully the excess isn't too bad, but if it wasn't your fault, I assume the van drivers insurance will cover it?

Actually, scrap that... I've seen the way you drive... racing driver excuses coming out here lol :racer:

Only kidding... still drive-able from looks of it, so just hand it back and say it was there before you picked it up :yahoo:

Reactions: AudiNutta, The Kendragon, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Should polish out OK.....

Seriously main thing is you are ok, loan car excess is usually pretty big £500 - £1000 interesting to see if they ask you to cover the excess or not

Reactions: AdamInKent, Jassyo06 and The Kendragon

Seriously main thing is you are ok, loan car excess is usually pretty big £500 - £1000 interesting to see if they ask you to cover the excess or not

Audi usually offer you a £12 per day cost to eliminate the excess, without it I think it's around £1k so interesting to hear how this progresses (regardless of fault or not)

Think Audi excess is £1,000 but the other guys insurance should cover that...hopefully.

Reactions: Mark_86
As long as you're ok that's the main thing!. Bath Audi will have one less available loan car for a while then lol.
I'm fine, just some shoulder pain that I'll get looked at tomorrow :)
At least it wasn't your a3!
That's true! I'd be very p****d off if it was my motor :rage:
At least you're okay. It's only a metal box at the end of the day!
You're right and luckily it wasn't my metal box haha. Shame the A1 has damage to every panel... :grimacing:
what's the excess on the loan cars...isn't it huge?

Glad you're ok though!
£2,500 was the excess I was given. They let me pay £250 though as the van driver admitted fault :) Should get a refund for the £250 in a few days!
Actually, scrap that... I've seen the way you drive... racing driver excuses coming out here lol :racer:

Only kidding... still drive-able from looks of it, so just hand it back and say it was there before you picked it up :yahoo:
Hahaha I wish I could've said that! The van driver's insurance will cover the excess though and I'll receive a refund :)

They've asked me to cover £250 but I should get a refund when the insurance companies chat about the accident. Van driver accepted blame so I'll get a refund of the excess soon!
Audi usually offer you a £12 per day cost to eliminate the excess, without it I think it's around £1k so interesting to hear how this progresses (regardless of fault or not)
Read above about the excess fee. Bath Audi were brilliant to be fair and took it very well while joking a little. Highly recommend! :D
Think Audi excess is £1,000 but the other guys insurance should cover that...hopefully.
The van driver's insurance will cover it as he admitted blame to the police and a witness saw that it was clearly his fault :sweatsmile:
Hahaha, I can see that conversation going well!

"As I've just binned the first loaner you gave me, can I have an RS now please?" :D
They were a little shy when I asked about future loan cars :tearsofjoy:
It is on the dealer's insurance so I paid their excess while it is being sorted. Should get a refund in a few days though :) To be fair Bath Audi only charged me £250 compared to the £2,500 I was supposed to pay.

Can't thank Bath Audi enough for how they dealt with this unfortunate event. Really friendly and helpful along the way and my A3 has been repaired too! Just need my shoulder to be looked at as it f*****g hurts :sleepy:

Reactions: AdamInKent, richinsoton, TDI-line and 3 others
The excess shouldn't apply given it wasn't your fault. It's for the other guy's insurance to pay.

Reactions: The Kendragon
The excess shouldn't apply given it wasn't your fault. It's for the other guy's insurance to pay.
I thought that but they take the excess fee until the other insurance company has 100% said it was their driver's fault and that they will cover the costs. I should be refunded soon as it clearly wasn't my fault.... White van men :coldsweat:

Glad your ok. Go and get that shoulder looked at asap.

I bet the "ambulance chasing" lawyers will be phoning you to suggest that you put in a claim for your shoulder so that can make lots of money from the claim

Glad you're mainly OK and that your A3 will be back with you soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet the "ambulance chasing" lawyers will be phoning you to suggest that you put in a claim for your shoulder so that can make lots of money from the claim

Glad you're mainly OK and that your A3 will be back with you soon.

They probably will but I'll just take it as it comes :) My A3 is currently parked outside Bath Audi as I'm not wanting to drive for a couple of days especially with the dodgy shoulder

I thought that but they take the excess fee until the other insurance company has 100% said it was their driver's fault and that they will cover the costs. I should be refunded soon as it clearly wasn't my fault.... White van men :coldsweat:

I mean you seem happy enough, but that doesn't sound like the right way around to me...?

Surely you should only be expected to pay the excess if its chargeable...? If it was your personal insurance they don't take the excess off you first then refund you if it goes in your favour? So what are Audi using your £250 for, as the insurance company wont be asking for it...?

At least, I don't think so anyway...!? I haven't been involved in an accident like this, so I may be mistaken, but it seems a bit odd!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I thought you always paid the excess and could get it back through an uninsured losses claim after insurance confirmed who was to Blair.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and The Kendragon
I thought you always paid the excess and could get it back through an uninsured losses claim after insurance confirmed who was to Blair.
Last time I was broadsided by a taxi my insurers didn't take the excess even for a short period as they said it was obvious the other party was to blame.

Reactions: The Kendragon and KenL
I've only ever claimed once and that was after a company dropped an awning on my R32 (they were sticking it on the roof of their van and the wind caught it) got nowhere with their insurance after 2 weeks - they wanted a proforma invoice from the body shop and all sorts - so I claimed through mine, they didn't ask me for a penny, it was all booked in and a car arranged for the duration of repairs within 2 hours.

Reactions: The Kendragon, Mark_86 and Audi Bairn
You should also read your own insurance to check if you need to declare this 'none fault claim'.

I say this as I had someone reverse into my car in a car park a few years ago.
Light damage to the front - scuff on bumper & slight crack on light cluster.
I was not even in the car.
All sorted through other persons insurance.

I was reading my own policy and came to the section about claims.
I pondered it and in the end did not want any wriggle room for the insurance so rang them to explain I personally have not claimed but someone had claimed on thier insurance against my car.
Incredibly this was classed as a none fault claim and had to be declared on my policy.
Put my policy up £40 there and then and remained on my record for 3 years.
Fricking discusting ... but glad I checked as know these Insurers if they find a loop hole will get out of claims if they can.

Not sure how you sit with a loan car - but worth checking to see if you need to declare this incident on your own car insurance policy.

Reactions: AdamInKent, The Kendragon and Audi Bairn
You should also read your own insurance to check if you need to declare this 'none fault claim'.

I pondered it and in the end did not want any wriggle room for the insurance so rang them to explain I personally have not claimed but someone had claimed on thier insurance against my car.
Incredibly this was classed as a none fault claim and had to be declared on my policy.
Fricking discusting ... but glad I checked as know these Insurers if they find a loop hole will get out of claims if they can.

Not sure how you sit with a loan car - but worth checking to see if you need to declare this incident on your own car insurance policy.

I would of thought that as the claim was on the Audi insurance there wouldn't be need to declare it on your own personal insurance but definitely check your declaration wording.

I declared some debris falling off the back of a tractor once, at the time it looked like it had dented my bonnet etc but in the light the next day it polished out, insurers loaded my policy for that and recorded as an incident for 3 years now.

You have to declare all claims, non fault or not, but they really shouldn't charge you for it. I would be switching insurers ASAP if they did that to me.

Interesting points above. Even if the OP doesn't inform his insurance company now, then when the OP comes to renew his insurance, then won't he have to state he has had a non fault accident? If he didn't then would insurance be void if they found out?

Interesting points above. Even if the OP doesn't inform his insurance company now, then when the OP comes to renew his insurance, then won't he have to state he has had a non fault accident? If he didn't then would insurance be void if they found out?
I think he potentially would have to, that's why I would check the declaration wording. I just wonder if that because it was on a vehicle insured elsewhere etc whether would be required to do so.

Potentially the 2 drivers name will be tagged in the claims database. It's a difficult one, as soon as you ask the question officially it will no doubt impact next years insurance.

Reactions: Ormesome
I can't see how it should matter to your own car insurance policy though. He's on Audi's car insurance, claimed via Audi's car insurance and a non fault claim at that. So, why would his insurance company ever need to know? What justification would they have for increasing his policy when it has no impact on them whatsoever... I personally wouldn't feel any need to tell my insurance company about it, because it has sweet FA to do with them imo.

You'll just need to declare it when you renew as a non fault claim.

Reactions: Jassyo06, The Kendragon and Ormesome
I can't see how it should matter to your own car insurance policy though. He's on Audi's car insurance, claimed via Audi's car insurance and a non fault claim at that. So, why would his insurance company ever need to know? What justification would they have for increasing his policy when it has no impact on them whatsoever... I personally wouldn't feel any need to tell my insurance company about it, because it has sweet FA to do with them imo.

Depends on Audi's insurance terms i guess. for example, does your name get added to the system or, as they have trade insurance, do you just get access? Pretty sure that if i crashed my mums car, as a named driver or just by driving it via the 3rd party system, then i would have to declare it. But it does rase many questions, like does a central insurance database exist or is it company by company? If the OP crashed his original car again then would his insurance company ever have a way of easily finding out about this Audi car hire crash via a name tag on the database?

I reversed my rental car into a post in New Zealand a couple of years ago - so insurance job covered by rental company and the excess covered by another policy so no impact on my UK insurance. Not wishing to buck the system and risk anything I phoned LV my insurer upon return and they said that despite it being an information claim my insurance would rise (by about £30) for the next 3 years. Their logic is that despite it not impacting on them I am potentially a bigger risk as an insured driver than I was before the accident.
So when people tick the box on their renewal where it asks if you have been involved in any accidents (even those regarded as information only) beware saying no. Even if you damage a wing and get it repaired yourself in theory you should inform your insurance company.

Reactions: The Kendragon and Ormesome
Depends on Audi's insurance terms i guess. for example, does your name get added to the system or, as they have trade insurance, do you just get access? Pretty sure that if i crashed my mums car, as a named driver or just by driving it via the 3rd party system, then i would have to declare it. But it does rase many questions, like does a central insurance database exist or is it company by company? If the OP crashed his original car again then would his insurance company ever have a way of easily finding out about this Audi car hire crash via a name tag on the database?

Yes there is a central database used by all the insurance companies to share information so once an accident is registered then it's possible for any insurance company to see the details.

Reactions: Ormesome
I mean you seem happy enough, but that doesn't sound like the right way around to me...?

Surely you should only be expected to pay the excess if its chargeable...? If it was your personal insurance they don't take the excess off you first then refund you if it goes in your favour? So what are Audi using your £250 for, as the insurance company wont be asking for it...?

At least, I don't think so anyway...!? I haven't been involved in an accident like this, so I may be mistaken, but it seems a bit odd!
I think it's a standard procedure. They said that the excess fee is taken until the van driver's insurance company confirm that they accept their driver is to blame and that the costs will be covered. As soon as that has been done, I'll receive the £250 that I paid back from them :) I trust what Bath Audi have told me and it seems like a pretty common way to do it based on what I've been told :grimacing:

Thanks for sharing your story, it's helpful to see how it affected you and how you sorted it out. For me, I've not told my insurance company yet as the loan car was covered by Bath Audi's insurance policy which is completely different to the fully comp policy I have on my A3. At renewal I will have to tick the box about accidents in the past five years and provide the required details but that's understandable. I'll have a year's no claims by then so hopefully it won't be too big of a jump. Out of curitisity I looked at insurance (using all the details I did when I bought the policy in August) but with the accident declared. Results:

02/08/17 - £2517
15/09/17 (with accident) - £5432

What a pain! Only passed in February so I really didn't need this :( Every panel on the A1 was damaged as well as the electrics and radiator where rocks were thrown through the grill at 70mph

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I think it's a standard procedure. They said that the excess fee is taken until the van driver's insurance company confirm that they accept their driver is to blame and that the costs will be covered. As soon as that has been done, I'll receive the £250 that I paid back from them :) I trust what Bath Audi have told me and it seems like a pretty common way to do it based on what I've been told :grimacing:

Thanks for sharing your story, it's helpful to see how it affected you and how you sorted it out. For me, I've not told my insurance company yet as the loan car was covered by Bath Audi's insurance policy which is completely different to the fully comp policy I have on my A3. At renewal I will have to tick the box about accidents in the past five years and provide the required details but that's understandable. I'll have a year's no claims by then so hopefully it won't be too big of a jump. Out of curitisity I looked at insurance (using all the details I did when I bought the policy in August) but with the accident declared. Results:

02/08/17 - £2517

What a pain! Only passed in February so I really didn't need this :( Every panel on the A1 was damaged as well as the electrics and radiator where rocks were thrown through the grill at 70mph

No worries & it pi$$ed me off that someone else's accident cost me money even when not in my car but that's insurance companies isn't it.

It should only affect your policy by £50 max and then reduce year by year so no biggie, just an annoyance.

As the Guys have said at least it wasn't your car though & you were not hurt which is the main thing.

No worries & it pi$$ed me off that someone else's accident cost me money even when not in my car but that's insurance companies isn't it.

It should only affect your policy by £50 max and then reduce year by year so no biggie, just an annoyance.

As the Guys have said at least it wasn't your car though & you were not hurt which is the main thing.
That's exactly how I feel! Someone else crashes into me in a loan car and although the insurance are covering it, it's still affected my renewal quotes and caused injury :(

I'm a new driver so it's going to affect me more than £50 so I can't wait for renewal :rage: I'm happy that my A3 is fine and the fact that I'm okay apart from the whiplash. Never heard of someone swerving across three lanes of a motorway because they coughed though!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

02/08/17 - £2517

I think you need to tell them now, it's the same as if you get points. Be careful putting quotes in online, all insurance companies talk and now you've made a record of a claim by putting a quote in.

Do you retain your NCB if the accident wasn't your fault?

I think you need to tell them now, it's the same as if you get points. Be careful putting quotes in online, all insurance companies talk and now you've made a record of a claim by putting a quote in.

Do you retain your NCB if the accident wasn't your fault?
I used comparethemarket.com so my details weren't put into an insurance website directly. Probably still means they'll find out though... I'll call them later!

I think I'll get to keep my NCD as I haven't claimed on my own insurance. It wasn't my car and it wasn't my insurance policy that I've had to claim on/against. It was an insurance that Bath Audi use so that any driver can drive any of their cars so I'm not sure :/

I agree, my only nagging doubt is that it could be flagged on the insurance data base.

It shouldn't impact whatsoever but no doubt it'll turn on some kind of flag which adds a nominal amount.

Reactions: AudiNutta and The Kendragon
I used comparethemarket.com so my details weren't put into an insurance website directly. Probably still means they'll find out though... I'll call them later!

I think I'll get to keep my NCD as I haven't claimed on my own insurance. It wasn't my car and it wasn't my insurance policy that I've had to claim on/against. It was an insurance that Bath Audi use so that any driver can drive any of their cars so I'm not sure :/

Yeah it is best to give them a call I think, but prepare for the worst :( But a price hike is better than them not paying out.

Last I heard was if it's a no fault claim, you should keep your NCD.

Yeah it is best to give them a call I think, but prepare for the worst :( But a price hike is better than them not paying out.

Last I heard was if it's a no fault claim, you should keep your NCD.
Called my insurance company and they couldn't care less. Asked if it was the car that they insure, I said no and she replied with "well that's good then, just declare the accident at renewal" :) NCD is not affected!

Some better pics of the damage:
16812e1d6a5e875919f2d8873986b38e.jpg
90ac6c8eba36315cfaa130aa588cfb3f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, Ormesome and 1 other person