Crash bar options (RS style grill)

jammy78

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a RS style grill coming from China & I’m looking at options on how to deal with the crash bar (paint, wrap etc).

Looking at the genuine grill on the RS4, it looks like there is a matt plastic trim behind the grill that covers / blocks the crash bar.

is anyone aware why no one uses this part? it must either be screwed into the bumper or grill - surely it’ll be easy to modify to get it to fit?

might be better than painting or wrapping the bar?

I think I might take a punt as I don’t like the paint or wrap option.

Attachments

• 2F433348-1489-468C-BE38-B9EC6478084F.png
    2F433348-1489-468C-BE38-B9EC6478084F.png
    3 MB · Views: 294
I’m literally in the same boat as you right now.

Waiting on delivery from my RS style grill from China and am pondering what to do with the crash bar as it’ll be silver underneath if the polystyrene cover doesn’t fit with the new grill.

I’m personally thinking plasti-dip rather then paint/wrap as it’ll be easier to apply. However that being said I’m not worried about potentially having to apply vinyl as I’ve already done the windows trims as it is.

I believe the blocked out part you are looking at on the official RS grill is a part of the mould/grill itself as opposed to a bolt on/separate piece.

I scoured the internet for what seemed like months trying to find a version that had this blanking part on but the only one I found I didn’t like the design of the grill itself.

What style grill did you end up going with mat I ask?

I went for a slightly different design than what seems the norm…

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you, I did the same & could only find one with the blanking part but the honeycomb looked odd, different sizes.

i went with the attached, had the best reviews on AliExpress.

plasti-dip looks to be the best bet but I’m concerned of its longevity.

on the genuine rs4, looks to be a separate part as looking on eBay at ones for sale, the blanking plate / cover isn’t attached.

another concern is the parking sensors…. But I’ll deal with that when it’s time to install - lots of contradictory reviews.

Attachments

• 00EAFC6A-29F7-4088-8262-5180E2FAB8A6.jpeg
    00EAFC6A-29F7-4088-8262-5180E2FAB8A6.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 188
Ahh ok - I (wrongly) assumed this was just part of the mould as all the official RS4 grill’s that I’d seen (ie grills that don’t fit the A4/S4) always had that blanking plate/cover….interesting.

I went with a slightly more, I guess ‘traditional’ style grill design - AliExpress jobbie so fingers crossed the quality is good!

80194639311f041d0a0e866c00f38e8a.jpg

As you say, there are lots of contradictory arguments re whether the parking sensors fit with/without the polystyrene cover, and/or crash bar modifications.

We shall see!

Keep us updated on how the figment goes, I’ll do the same my end!

I’m waiting too ! Probably another few weeks though. I’ll just go with wrap as it’s easily reversible compared to spraying the crashbar, not to mention easier and quicker.

There’s so many designs out there, some look absolutely terrible especially around the Audi rings. It’s a minefield.

Reactions: Exx-on
All in the same boat!

Yeah some of the Audi ring holder designs out there are just hideous.

I have blacked out lower grills that landed with me last week and have a Maxton Design front splitter arriving on Wednesday so I can fit it all in one fell swoop!

This is the inspirational image that I’ve been using and want to achieve something similar:

65b05644c4b4588c47bd46a3994fe6aa.jpg

7bca7690796892e867e3512ba63145eb.jpg

This is what I went for in the end. eBay, zdgrille Got an APR intercooler to fit also so long day (weekend maybe). I like the look of a big silver intercooler behind the honeycomb grill :)

You may have a few things to deal with, the foam insert, crash bar colour & the airbag crash system thats uses a pressure system via a thin tube in the foam part, I cant recall fully atm as I recall an S5 having this, but beware its not a walk in the park.

I've not read anything about the foam insert causing issues on the A4/S4 B9 when removed, have you any further information on this as I was just planning to remove it.

From what I know it’s a pedestrian safety system. It’s a tube through the foam part, so be sure if you have it, don’t cut or mess with it as it will throw an airbag light. Apparently not all cars do have this fitted. Mine is a 17’ S4 and I guess I will find out the hard way as I’ve not taken the bumper off yet but if it’s all too much hassle I’ll just sell the grille on. I like a challenge, so game on.

I've not read anything about the foam insert causing issues on the A4/S4 B9 when removed, have you any further information on this as I was just planning to remove it.

Yeah I’ve also not heard anything about this either.

Good information to have though if I do come across it.

If it’s a case of removing this part along with the polystyrene that holds it then I’ll be rethinking my grill options. I’m not willing to risk my families safety over aesthetics!

I had a friend recently change his 2018 A5 Sline front grill to an RS style one and he didn’t come across this sensor as he just scraped the foam because it wouldn’t fit behind the grill.

My 18 plate S5 had the vacuum tube inside the polystyrene - so i heated a junior hacksaw and shaved the foam - the heat melted it so it looks flat.

On the S5 you only have the shave the raised parts of the foam - closest to the bumper - but i did the whole front of the foam so it looked smooth…. Planned on plasdip it after - but as its so dark it didnt need it.

Reactions: jammy78 and Exx-on
All done. Fitted an APR intercooler and pipes.
586d69b53495da34f97274bea110e922.jpg

The crash bar did have the pedestrian protection tube in it but not really a problem to be honest. Just cut the foam down a bit and all fitted fine. Love it !

Reactions: Comrade, Exx-on and jammy78
Looking good! So you didn’t need to do anything to the crash bar, other than trim the foam?

also, did the Quattro lettering come pre attached or was there a template to stick them on? I’ll be worried that I mess up the spacing.

Also any issues with the parking sensors?

I’m still waiting for mine… probably another 30 days to arrive via a boat from China.

All done. Fitted an APR intercooler and pipes.
586d69b53495da34f97274bea110e922.jpg

The crash bar did have the pedestrian protection tube in it but not really a problem to be honest. Just cut the foam down a bit and all fitted fine. Love it !

Looks great!!

Glad you didn’t have many issues with the foam/sensor.

Did you end up having to use/source the right angle sensors at all?

My grill landed in the UK yesterday so should be here at some point in the next week or so

Looks great!!

Glad you didn’t have many issues with the foam/sensor.

Did you end up having to use/source the right angle sensors at all?

My grill landed in the UK yesterday so should be here at some point in the next week or so

The sensors are right angled anyway.

Looking good! So you didn’t need to do anything to the crash bar, other than trim the foam?

also, did the Quattro lettering come pre attached or was there a template to stick them on? I’ll be worried that I mess up the spacing.

Also any issues with the parking sensors?

I’m still waiting for mine… probably another 30 days to arrive via a boat from China.

I used some black wrap also as you would certainly see the metal. The Quattro lettering is loose in a bag so you’ll just need to plan it out !
Parking sensors are fine but to be honest didn’t fit great in the holes in this one so I had to use hot melt glue to make sure they don’t fall out. Not the end of the world. All in all easy enough.

Here’s the tube so you know what to look for ! You can unplug it either end no problem, just don’t damage it
a18c7b8f3a7ac03fed9aaa75e89aed9d.jpg

Grill finally landed a few weeks back, looks great (ignore matte plastic under Audi logo, this is just a protective cover) - just hope it will fit alright.

58b6e03c273811b9150c5fb4ed68c8e7.jpg

All I need now is a free weekend and some non wet weather!

I’ve *finally* managed to get spare time to fit my RS4 style grill, BE lower grills and Maxton splitter.

It was a bit of a process with this particular style of grill as it meant trimming down the pedestrian crash sensor housing (or, polystyrene) in order to get the fitment right.

I also went the extra mile and vinyl wrapped the actual crash bar in matte black vinyl and then also coated the grey pedestrian sensor housing in black Plastidip after trimming it down with hot cutting tool.

The splitter install was a whole different story and added nearly a day itself to the install, half of which was getting the car back out of the garage afterwards without ripping it off

Overall I’m very happy with the outcome, the car has far more road presence now IMO.

Now all that’s left to do is install the black mirror housings and attempt to vinyl wrap the chrome roof rails!

4e142ae58c34da8db5b3b78a9bc21a7b.jpg

Reactions: Steff8 and rjwojcik
Looking good ! The only thing that annoyed me after I done mine was the fog grills didn’t really match the gloss grill so got them changed out too, easy job, just pull them out so no bumper off needed.

9d943e64dbcbc42e6e87cd04a3b2c9f1.jpg