Crankshft Position Sensor - location/replacement ALZ

kevina4

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a '02 1.6 petrol, engine code ALZ with a P0322 Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

Whereabouts is the sensor? All my web searches yield other engines and I have a Haynes manual but it just covers the 1.8 (was given to me, I didn't buy the wrong one!). And is it easy to change?

This is the engine with the single ignition coil, not the one with the individual coil per plug. I attach a pic of it, thanks!

Attachments

• alz.jpg
    alz.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 155
PS - I don't seem to be able to edit my OP

I saw a video of the sensor being replaced on an non VAG car (some US pickup IIRC) - the guy had to calibrate the new sensor, hold it at 4,000 RPM and do something with the laptop.

If I replace the sensor will I have to do a similar procedure? Can it be done with the free version of VCDS Lite?

Calibration can't be done with VCDS Lite. You can use bluetooth OBD dongles and apps that support adaption, but it varies from device & app. I don't know what there is to calibrate on a cam sensor, especially of a car this age. I would have thought it to be plug and play. The fact that the engine ran with the new sensor installed before he had done any adapting or calibrating in my mind means the sensor is reporting an understandable, sufficient signal back to the ECU, allowing it to run.

Reactions: kevina4
Calibration can't be done with VCDS Lite. You can use bluetooth OBD dongles and apps that support adaption, but it varies from device & app. I don't know what there is to calibrate on a cam sensor, especially of a car this age. I would have thought it to be plug and play. The fact that the engine ran with the new sensor installed before he had done any adapting or calibrating in my mind means the sensor is reporting an understandable, sufficient signal back to the ECU, allowing it to run.
Hi sorry for the delayed response.

Just to clarify it's the crank, not cam sensor I'm asking about.

I purchased OBD11 some time ago but could not get it to connect to my car, and a friend loaned me a Carly adapter and I tried 3 apps with the same results.

I have not fitted the new sensor yet.

Yes, I can connect and and it said the crank sensor was faulty (Forget the DTC etc, saved on my laptop). However the Latency was reported as "poor", using a generic cable (K+ DCAN I think - on loan from a friend).

EDIT details in my OP! P0322 Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

At this point I'd simply swap it out. The crank sensor simply measures at what position the crank itself is at. When one is faulty, the ECU hasn't gotten the foggiest idea of what point of rotation the top or bottom is at. In your case, the crank shaft, which is the engine speed definer. Replaced with a new one should end your issues. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: kevina4
It is plug & play. No calibration. I've done it twice in around 100k miles on my BEX.

Low latency just means you're using a non-genuine VCDS cable into VCDS Lite. That message won't effect your car or it's fault(s) in any way.

Reactions: kevina4 and pelhamsdetailing
Hi thanks both for your help.

It was running bad yesterday, had to pull over and put hazards on. Took not of the rev counter and was all over the place which add weight to the sensor.

However - II still can't find it! Can anyone tell me where it is? Been searching the web again for other VAG models that use the engine but keep getting hits fort FSI and 1.8 etc. Had another look this afternoon at the engine but can't locate it.

Thanks!

Many thanks for all your help! I'll have a look at that site and then the car!

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing