Crankcase Breather Valve Woes

czm

Reaction score
Hi all

To day I replaced the CC breather valve on my 2004 1.8t Avant with 70k miles.

Below you will see my concerns, there was alot of white/yellowish mayo in the pipe and in the valve.

My main concern is the sludge issue with these BEX engines however there was no real sludge just this horrid mayo gunk. Of course cleaned the pipe and fitted the new valve and the car runs well now.

However I was wondering what precautions/actions I shoudl be doing to keep everything clean and breathing well? Shall I replace the rest of the breather pipes ect and if so what bits do I need ect?

Anything I can use to flush it while all in place?
IMG_4373_zps6c35d561.jpg

IMG_4375_zpsa82a49d7.jpg

IMG_4375_zpsa82a49d7.jpg

IMG_4377_zps077653d7.jpg

Clean out the rest of the breather system at the top rear of the valve cover and also to the left of the valve cover. You may find that it will be worse the the crank valve, specifically the metal pipe attached to the left of the valve cover.

Plenty of threads about it on here, think I may have written something about when I did mine.

Clean out the rest of the breather system at the top rear of the valve cover and also to the left of the valve cover. You may find that it will be worse the the crank valve, specifically the metal pipe attached to the left of the valve cover.

Plenty of threads about it on here, think I may have written something about when I did mine.

Great thanks

I have read loads about certain parts of the system that break and become brittle. Which bit shall I look at buying before I start to save any down time?

Standard for these engines. I had a oil catch can fitted to my last 1.8t, it certainly helped.

The parts that I replaced were the pcv, the rubber pipe that the pcv fits in, the rubber elbow that goes from this pipe to the oil filter housing and also the hockey puck shaped valve at the back of the engine.

The part that was brittle and deteriorated was the elbow to the oil filter housing.

Just get yourself plenty of 20 and 30cm jubilee clips as the hoses are held on by one time only clips.