Cracking/clicking noise

Quattro colin

Reaction score
Hi so my car has been cracking when turning at slow speeds,braking,accelrating so I decided to put two new drive shafts on but the noise is still doing it n I haven't got a clue wot it is other than dog bone mount bushes

Would really like help on this really starting to do my head in.

Is it sort of an eractic clicking noise and more noticeable at very slow speeds, I have had this o mine now for quite a while and think it could maybe the top mounts

Is it sort of an eractic clicking noise and more noticeable at very slow speeds, I have had this o mine now for quite a while and think it could maybe the top mounts

Top mounts are normally the cause of cracking when steering.

Have you got a standard exhaust on your car? They have a butterfly valve on them that makes a noise when you put your foot on the pedal! You can disconnect it and it sounds better with it open all the time though!

It's more of a cracking noise it doesn't happen at speed only when braking n accelrating n Turning have standard exhaust on aswell

Oh forgot to mention it's a quattro if this makes any difference

When u say top mounts are on about the engine mounts ?

I have that on my S3 and asked my dealer to have a look into it 2 weeks ago while they serviced my car.

Was told it was the wheel bearings needs greasing.. Cost of doing that was around $900 New Zealand dolloars or roughly 450GPB :(

The wheel bearing are a sealed unit, non maintenance.

Might be cv joint, does it only do it going either full lock left or right?

If not could be broken spring

Have new drive shafts pal that was my first protocol as I say this noise is happening under braking acceleration n turning