Cracked windscreen on A7 - warranty claim?

Corb2000

Million miler
Reaction score
IMG 4957

A few weeks ago I noticed a 5-6mm long crack in my windscreen close to the rear view mirror. When I ran my finger over the outside of the glass there was no chip or obvious impact damage.

This morning the crack has extended to over 250mm long and I'll definitely need a replacement windscreen.

I can always use the windscreen cover in my car insurance but as the cause is not obvious I wondered if there was a problem with the original screen that might be resolved as a warranty claim.

Has anyone else had a cracked windscreen on their A7/S7/RS7 without any obvious cause or experience of making a warranty claim for its replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't say what year your car is?

I've had no windscreen issues. Had a 2014 A7, now a 2016 S7, no issues with either.

2016 car, only 15 months old with 19k on the clock so well within the warranty period

I'd take it to your dealer and see what they say.....

Good luck.

Reactions: Corb2000
Can you post up an image of the other end of it? From the glass edge, please.

While you're there, run a ball point pen/sharp pencil/metal scriber along the length of the crack. If you feel a little dink along the way, that'll be your impact point.

Cracks usually don't just happen spontaneously. They're usually attributed to an impact, bad fitting (usually with hours or days) or even a stress force (applied, for example from the inside of the car say, by a valeter).

c507163b2a32b1c5f914fc4319fb5838.jpg
72b94f8d564bb68eb8b7fdf936a4ff56.jpg

Using a biro I did find a tiny indentation in the glass near the shaded glass around the mirror, so impact does appear to have been the cause but I'm amazed that such a small mark could cause both the initial crack and the much larger one that it has spread into.

Yep. Impact.

Remember, glass is thinner. A sandwich construction of two layers of glass with a vinyl inter-layer won't absorb much of an impact, especially if the temperature is higher (the PVB layer softens).

The windscreen also forms part of the structural integrity of the vehicle body, and as such it also flexes when the car body has forces exerted on it.

Its very likely that a combination of body flex and the recent high temperatures (assuming your somewhere where the sun has been out) have contributed to the cracks exponential growth.

Me thinks its an insurance replacement. :racer: