cracked windsceen

george forbes

Reaction score
Not a happy camper tonight , spent most of the afternoon cleaning the car up getting it nice and shiny including waxing the wheels which is not usual for me , went to drive up to the shops and a line appeared on my windscreen running from top to about halfway down the screen on the left side , I'm thinking just water coming from the seal area but it didn't run any further, it slowly dawned on me it was a crack , nothing hit the car in that short journey and upon looking at it from outside something hit the top of the windscreen at some point previously and it only just let go . £250 excess for windscreen replacement from my insurer which I only just renewed 2 days ago thinking Ahhh not going to get a cracked windscreen don't worry about the £250 the accident is only £100 excess. :confusion:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Get a quote to see how much it will be outside of your insurance if you don’t have the camera and won’t need it recalibrated it may be cheaper than your excess ....

Just been in touch with Autoglass and they cant fit a new one till the 12th March. It's already half way down the window, hate to see what it's like in 2 weeks.

Reactions: pburv
Just been in touch with Autoglass and they cant fit a new one till the 12th March. It's already half way down the window, hate to see what it's like in 2 weeks.
The likelihood it's only the outer screen that's cracked. You should be ok for a couple of weeks. I had mine let go the start of the cold spell. There was a stone chip that caused mine to crack. I put the heat on full in the morning and as the interior skin of the glass expanded it must have pushed the outer one till it cracked. It was two weeks before it was replaced. I only paid £80 excess.
I feel your pain though.:concern:
ps I replaced the wipers once the new screen was fitted.:icon thumright:

Put some Sellotape over the crack and 5" after it, it will help stop it travelling any further.

I work in a car factory and used to fit windscreens by hand many years ago! When we had one that cracked whilst fitting that's what we did...It was great fun seeing a small crack and just banging our fist near it and watching it travel like cracked ice :p

Edit* Oh and don't slam your doors if the crack is within 7-8" of the side of the screen...that was another one we used to do when changing them out :p

Reactions: pburv, Leevr and george forbes
I had a genuine audi screen (acoustic glass+sunband) fitted for £370. It's worth phoning around smaller windscreen replacement companies as they can still fit a genuine screen for you.

I had a genuine audi screen (acoustic glass+sunband) fitted for £370. It's worth phoning around smaller windscreen replacement companies as they can still fit a genuine screen for you.
yeah have found it cheaper only trouble is it still won't be under the £250 excess

Wow most insurers are about 75 or 100 for windscreen.

Mine is but have to pay it twice, once for windscreen and again to have the camera realigned, this can’t be done mobile has to go to the workshop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk